Nintendo DS Lite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo DS Lite

Some days ago my sister-in-law found a DS Lite in a garbage can.
    As she knows I like to repair almost everything she brought it to me.
    It start up but the top display is cracked.
    I disassembled it completely and today I have ordered a new display, probably I will receive it on Friday.

I hope I can repair it otherwise I have wasted 22.90€.

Here some pics of the work in progress.

Ciao
    Gianni
    Attached Files
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Re: Nintendo DS Lite

I'm sure that it can be repaired, it still powers on.

If your repair is successful, you'll have a wonderful DS Lite for just 22.90€!
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

lucky... wish i had one. but id rather have a psp. or one of those sony netbooks that are psp-sized.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

if it started a game,played sound,ect its probably fine with a new lcd.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
          if it started a game,played sound,ect its probably fine with a new lcd.
          i recently repaired my sister's dsl and it wouldn't start up without the top screen connected.
          anyway, it's not a bad thing you change the lcd since that flex cable through the bezel usually is the first thing that says goodbye after a lot of use.
          "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Yes it starts games and plays sound but was useless because the top screen is unreadable.

After I disassembled it, I went to internet looking for info and to find the new display, I found 2 video on you-tube that show you how to disassemble a DS: if I had seen them before starting with mine, it would have taken less time.

I'll be back with new pics a soon as I have done the job.

Ciao
            Gianni
            "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
            H. J. Brown

Comment

I successfully screwed Nintendo and wasted my money.

The most difficult part (for me) was to pass the flat connector of the display trough the case shoulder.

Don't know what went wrong but seems tha Wi-fi module is broken: I finished to reassemble Nintendo and when I powered it the bottom display flashed and Nintendo went off.
              I disconnected the new display and reconnected the old but Nintendo behaved the same way.
              I checked everything and at the end I removed the Wi-fi module: the Nintendo power up, the green Led stays on but the display not even flash.

I reconnected the top display and without wi-fi module the green led stays on after power up but both displays are off.
              If I reconnect the Wi-fi module the Nintendo shut down (green Led) after power on.

I'm so down because I thought this was an easy fix to do and I failed.
              Moreover checking around the board to look for something strange, I touched the touch-screen connector and I broken it.
              I was happy today because I received the display quickly and now... I have my balls under my feet...

Here some pics of my failure job.

I need a beer now...
              Gianni
              Attached Files
              H. J. Brown

Comment

that's exactly how it behaves if the top screen cable isn't seated properly.
                "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Hi kikkoman

you are right, last night after I get over my rage I searched info and I saw a lot of people had the same problem.
                  At first I thought I had screwed up something because the green LED stayed on if I removed the WI-fi module.
                  I was convinced that it would stay on even with only the bottom display connected... but I was completely wrong.
                  Today I will try again. What I don't understand why it doesn't start with the old display, but probably it is because that damn connector is not so easy to close correctly.

This is a new lesson on the road of experience... I should have read more before doing anything, I have overestimated my skill.

Let's see what I can do, the problem is that I have broken the small connector for the touch screen: I was checking the connection to see if there was something wrong and with my tweezers I have touched the connector and the top plastic tip jumped out. I tried to reinsert it but I broken one pin.
                  I have a colleague that had repaired one Nintendo, he one as spare part, so if the connector is the same I will try to replace it but I can't do the job at home because I need a professional solder (very thin tip) and magnifier.
                  I getting old... my sight is not as good as use to be and playing with tweezers on that small connector just because I saw something strange brought me a bad headache.

Ciao
                  Gianni
                  H. J. Brown

Comment

Today after 5 times I connected correctly the screen cable and now the DS start up.

Ok I feel better but I feel also stupid because yesterday I should have stop my activity before I broke the connector.

Well another piece I have to buy and I hope this time I can fix it completely, here the picture of DS and the small connector.

Ciao
                    Gianni
                    Attached Files
                    H. J. Brown

Comment

Working...
                    X