Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fake Samsung Charger Sold by SnoCo Inc. on Amazon (Reported to Amazon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Samsung Charger Sold by SnoCo Inc. on Amazon (Reported to Amazon)

So my mother ordered a Samsung charger for her S6, the adaptive fast ones.

It arrived today, however upon opening it I immediately smelled something fishy. It was not in a Samsung box, it was in a plastic bag, as were the other cables too. When I held the charger in my hand, it felt lighter than the real one that was in my other hand. Upon further inspection, I found the following:

UL number was fake
    It was shitty printing that could be peeled off with my finger
    Fonts were wrong
    Text was too bold

So I opened it up and Yep! It's a heap!

I'm gonna upload pictures below, but I found something really unusual on the output. There is a chip on the bottom for the voltage regulation for the adaptive fast charging, when filing off the number on top, they took a large portion of the chip with it.

Caps were:
    Primary: 10uF 400v ChongX
    Transformer: 25v 47uF Huahong
    Output: "LOW ESR" 470uF 10v HDF

Also notice the pad at the end, it's double sided tape with only half of the sticky side peeled off.

Also, the PCB is as thick as about 10 sheets of paper.

Yeah I'll let pictures explain the rest.

Edit: In the pic where there are two side by side, the one on the LEFT is the fake, and for the one that for some reason is vertical, the one on the top is fake.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jazzie366; 07-06-2017, 03:43 PM.
    Popcorn.

Re: Fake Samsung Charger Sold by SnoCo Inc. on Amazon (Reported to Amazon)

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
    So my mother ordered a Samsung charger for her S6, the adaptive fast ones.
    For ordering off Amazon, you have to make sure it is fulfilled by Amazon and not some 3rd party to get the best chance of getting a genuine product.

I have seen these fakes on ebay, aliexpress, etc.

I always keep the OEM charger that comes with a phone/tablet when purchased from a reputable company.

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to take pictures.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      For ordering off Amazon, you have to make sure it is fulfilled by Amazon and not some 3rd party to get the best chance of getting a genuine product.

I have seen these fakes on ebay, aliexpress, etc.

I always keep the OEM charger that comes with a phone/tablet when purchased from a reputable company.

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to take pictures.
      No problem, I want this shit to be made public because my mother got a fake battery from eBay and her computer's northbridge chip lit up red hot and caught on fire. That was not fucking fun to have happen at 9PM at night.

Also, Samsung lists Walmart as the official retailer for their chargers? Went to the website, they said go there. Sure as shit Walmart has the official ones.

Also, I don't order Samsung chargers, I get ones from brands like Anker or Aukey, as they are usually made very well and I've never had problems with them.
      Popcorn.

Comment

hope your mother asks you first next time ..
        i was once bitten by a cheap charger . damn thing almost set on fire was for external hard drive . seller did give me instant refund of course .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
          hope your mother asks you first next time ..
          i was once bitten by a cheap charger . damn thing almost set on fire was for external hard drive . seller did give me instant refund of course .
          Yeah, she doesn't even know that all the markings on the products mean or how to verify if they're real.

Same thing happened with the laptop, except I found out where the seller was located in China, as he had a USA warehouse. Once I found that out, I got in contact with him, and believe it or not he was pretty chill about it, and got the company that made the batteries to give us the money to buy a new laptop, which was awesome cause my mother now has a new HP laptop that has decent nVidia graphics with a quad core i5. Coming from a pentium with stock graphics, that was a nice upgrade.
          Popcorn.

Comment

Huh, the samsung chargers only hit 9v? My Moto will output 12v.
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
              Huh, the samsung chargers only hit 9v? My Moto will output 12v.
              My Aukey charger puts out a max of 20V, IDK WTF uses that though.
              Popcorn.

Comment

if it's usb-c then it's for laptops.
                fucking stupid idea though - already destroying phones!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  if it's usb-c then it's for laptops.
                  fucking stupid idea though - already destroying phones!!
                  Not exactly sure what you're saying here, USB C is bad?
                  Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
                    Not exactly sure what you're saying here, USB C is bad?
                    Yes. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...omebook-pixel/
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

This is why I make sure to purchase USED chargers and cables just so I have a higher probability of getting genuine.

Comment

So the CABLE is bad or the USB type 'C' is bad? The article saying bad cable is the cause of the problem.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

the concept is bad.

if you set up the charger on your laptop, and then pull the plug from the laptop it's still on the higher voltage.
                          this is because assholes who designed the standard where too fucking dumb to say "if the load vanishes - reset the output to minimum"

so then you plug the cable into your fone / games console etc - and fry it!!

and a lot of people never unplug chargers from the mains - they just unplug the device.
                          so it's not like this couldnt have been predicted!!
                          Last edited by stj; 07-07-2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks, it was very useful

Comment

"if the load vanishes - reset the output to minimum" set what to minimum?
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

output voltage - presumably to 5v

Comment

I bought 3 samsung chargers on ebay, when they came i realised they were fake and I contacted the seller, he said they where not fake but when I told him they all had the same S/N he refunded my money.
                                  I just wish the big companies do more to reduce the Chinese faking thier products.

Comment

Originally posted by snipersquad100 View Post
                                    I bought 3 samsung chargers on ebay, when they came i realised they were fake and I contacted the seller, he said they where not fake but when I told him they all had the same S/N he refunded my money.
                                    What is the serial number so others have a potentially easy way to identify fakes?
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

like dropping the price?

Comment

Originally posted by snipersquad100 View Post
                                        I just wish the big companies do more to reduce the Chinese faking thier products.
                                        There's actually a documentary on this problem! Companies have flat out stopped trying due to the fact that when one of these fake manufacturers is shut down, they will reopen within a month at a different location. They showed a video of a guy who retired from finding these fakers, and he had said one time when he had gone to one of the facilities that was making fakes, the police officers were pouring the factory owner a cup of tea. Another time when they had raided a factory making fake Colgate toothpaste, they had heard children's music from inside. At first they thought the owners had children around so there was an area for them to get taken care of. However, they quickly found out the children were the workers.

There have also been places that were raided that were using slave labor, one place that was described only allowed the workers to sleep 4 hours per day, and they were chained to their machines.

The documentary was absolutely riveting, it's called The Fake Trade, highly recommend a watch.
                                        Last edited by jazzie366; 07-11-2017, 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling error
                                        Popcorn.

Comment

Working...
                                        X