Sony PSP 2004 turns on but has no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony PSP 2004 turns on but has no picture

Good day folks. I hope some of you "console-heads" out there (pun on petrol-head...bad one, I know) can maybe help me with this little project: I managed to score myself a PSP 2004 which has some display issues. Even though I'm not at all what a gamer and would have no real use for this thing, I though I wouldn't just toss it in the trash and try fixing it instead, just for the sake of it and who knows, I might end up selling it or actually getting into games myself...anyway. Here's the problem: the thing turns on, the green light comes on, but there's no picture appearing on screen. SOMETIMES, "Sony entertainment...something" would appear briefly upon startup, but would "dissolve" to black after 1-2 seconds and never come back. Not having opened a PSP before, I followed along with this video, got inside and immediately noticed something was not right: the metal shield that covers the board in the upper-left side looked different on mine than it did in the video and mine was flopping all around the board, since it did not have anything holding onto the board, so my guess is that someone's been inside it before and just threw that shield back on there despite not being the proper place for it...anyway, that was strike 1. Strike 2 was that the flap of the connector that normally presses down over the little flex for the backlight was missing (a common occurrence when someone uses too much force to open up those connectors - those flaps just break off). I tried pressing down on the display connector, but no luck: I still got no picture (not even the dissolving one). I'm getting 5v on the backlight connector and the screen DOES show that brief picture I mentioned, so that part works fine (since many guides talk about a blown backlight fuse, which I'm pretty sure is not the case here). My general knowledge of electronics tells me there's something wrong with either the display itself or a chip somewhere (like a failing GPU on a laptop, since the symptom is nearly identical). Should I try removing the board and blasting it with some hot air and flux ? Not sure which chip to reflow though - there's 2 of them in there towards the left-hand side of the board, where the joystick is. The top one has a heatsink over it. I assume that's the CPU ? Is the one below a graphics chip ? Could that be the issue ? That out of place metal shield is what got me worried, since it could've EASILY moved about and short stuff in there. Any tips would be great. Cheers
    Wattevah...

Re: Sony PSP 2004 turns on but has no picture

it's not a soldering issue - those things are solid design.
    probably a bad ribbon connection.
    is it being tested with external power? the battery shouldnt be trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      it's not a soldering issue - those things are solid design.
      probably a bad ribbon connection.
      is it being tested with external power? the battery shouldnt be trusted.
      I had the adapter plugged in...would the lack of power cause such effect despite the console appearing to be on ? That would be friggin' hilarious in fact. I tried messing with the LCD ribbon but I couldn't even get a flash on screen...could be a faulty LCD after all.
      Wattevah...

Comment

if it's been messed with, i would use a magnifying glass first to make sure some fool has not knocked some smd part off the board.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          if it's been messed with, i would use a magnifying glass first to make sure some fool has not knocked some smd part off the board.
          Will have to open it up again, as I've put it back together due to lack of space...is there a service manual out there ? Just askin' - haven't done any in-depth research yet.
          Wattevah...

Comment

not sure - try at softpedia.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
              Will have to open it up again, as I've put it back together due to lack of space...is there a service manual out there ? Just askin' - haven't done any in-depth research yet.
              Maybe this manual as covers 2000 series
              https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...6cfb4dafd8.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X