Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onkyo TX-NR609 New DSP chip fitted

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
    Interesting. What is the voltage on this rail to begin with? It doesn't make sense that lowering a power supply rail would allow a chip to run cooler. Just the opposite, in fact. Most micros will not tolerate much in the way of undervoltage. Maybe the original 5 volt regulator just can't supply the required current? I could buy that.

The one thing I CAN think of that would run a big micro cooler is to reduce the clock frequency. But, that would probably create timing problems. Glad there is a factory option for repair in any case. DSP boards have been a major pain since their humble beginnings.

It depends on the design engineer. I have seen logic chips designed by a EE engineer, who was a Professor, run on two volts and they supplied 5 volts to these chips. The thinking is the rest of the energy would give off as heat. The problem was found that the fuse keep blowing. My manager got rid of the fuse and replaced it will a paper clip. After running it for 24 hours it started on fire. The answer was to put a fan on top of the boards to blow air through them. This took care of the heat and if the fan did not run the unit did not turn on or run.
    Last edited by keeney123; 02-07-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Well according to the notes I made when I first started seeing these the DTS chip runs hot, affecting the BGA mounting, as to the 5 volt rail from what I found it was running in excess of 5 volt. Since I only box these up and ship them out for repair its not something I look into much beyond verifying the hdmi board is the problem. The next one that comes in with a non hdmi problem I will look into this in some detail and post the results.

Comment

Thanks llonen. Has anyone confirmed how Onkyo fixes the problem? My guess is that they replace the whole DSP board rather than working on the faulty one. There might be some clues there? I'd be interested to know if the unit works at all with a different, lower frequency clock crystal.
        Is it plugged in?

Comment

Well, my unit is currently travelling for extended warranty service. If everything goes well, I'll post before and after photos when I get may hands on it.

Comment

Of all of the units I have sent off now for repair they simply swap out the DSP board, I am not sure if they have resolved the problem so I fit GPU cooler's to the DTS chip before they go back to the customer.

Comment

I think in the beginning they were modifying the board with a daughtercard but i can't say what function(s) it was performing. Tibimikai posted pics of it at some point. Maybe they incorporated those changes into the boards and don't need it as i haven't heard of one being used in some time.

Comment

Next week my 609 should arrive and I will report what has been made.
                From an email I got, they say the HDMI board, the driver PCB, the main PCB and transistors were replaced... which is kind of strange to me. The unit was powering up, the menu was operational, the voltages were fine, no protection mode....
                It will be interesting

Comment

Just got the receiver.

The receipt says ( in brief ) - the unit had power before HDMI board switch, after that - no power. HDMI board changed ( again ), main amp pcb, driver pcb and a set of transistors also changed.

So the HDMI board is definitely new and I do not see any design changes from the old one. Only the DSP chip has a sticker saying "New".
                  The main board looks like a refurbished one to me - still the RCA connectors are new and shiny and the main caps seem to be also brand new.

Here are some LQ pics of the boards. Later I'll make HQ pics and will also upload the pics with the original parts.

So if the receipt is right, now I have almost brand new amplifier. All essential parts ( but the transformer ) have been replaced. The old parts are the chassis, front panel, cover, heatsink and the pcb connecting the mainboard with the hdmi board.
                  Attached Files

Comment

mmartell, that was an Ebay repair man's repair, not Onkyo.
                    Since these issues were causing problems, I'm using a 120MM fan that has an RPM controller from a laptop cooler and I'm swapping out the original fan with this setup.
                    I squeeze the thin USB cable, through the grommet for the main and I plug it in, into the TV's USB port. This way, the receiver is cooled constantly, as the TV is on.
                    Last edited by tibimakai; 04-26-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Well... is it just me or that onkyo avrs run really hot?
                      I'm now testing the 609 and it already has reached 40+C* on the top.. and thats for something like 20 minutes on low volume... and the worst part is that it is hotter over the hdmi pcb than the amp heatsink.

Comment

Yes, they run hot. These early ones, did not even have a fan(if I remember correctly).
                        Even the later ones, which have a fan, they start around 60 C(I have read this somewhere).

Comment

And here are the promised pictures of the new and old HDMI boards. In the zip file is the full size image.

The new board is the one with the "New" label on the DTS chip.

And if someone is new to this topic, here is the brief story - Onkyo tx-nr609 with "no sound/no network/no video" problem, capacitor change on the HDMI board did not help, nor DTS chip reflow with hot air gun. Then I sent the uinit for the extended warranty repair. They replaced the HDMI board, the power board and the main board ( apparently just HDMI board swap did not do the magic, which is still strange to me since the unit was booting fine and there were no errors/protection ).
                          So the layout of the new pcb seems to be the same as the old one ( I have not searched very thoroughly for differences though ) , so I guess the only revised thing is the DTS chip.... this is in connection to the pcb modifications mentioned here.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by madan1; 04-29-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

yup. Your old chip was Revision B and the new Chip is Revision D. I believe there was a large batch of those TI DTS Chips that had premature failure. I know Pioneer had the same issues with their DTS chip failing early.

Comment

Did pioneer have the same extended warranty policy about their faulty chips?

Comment

I believe Pioneer extended the warranty for a specific error code. UE22 if I recall correctly. Even TI admits issues with the DTS chips.

Comment

How do you guys get this? ( see the image )

What should be the idle V?
                                  Should not this value be one number or everything between 6 and 12mV will do the magic?

Originally all values were around 6mV.
                                  I went with 12mV and this thing now goes to 50*C on the top grill/cover... the fan spins even at low volume.
                                  Damn, Onkyo should advertise this as an extra feature in cold countries - receiver+heater....
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by madan1; 05-23-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Anybody knows, if the DSP IC is not BGA, it still can go bad?
                                    I have a Pioneer, that has no video and the digital sound interrupts every few seconds. Analog sounds is OK.
                                    Anybody can confirm that, if I would replace the DSP IC, with a new one, it would work?
                                    Last edited by tibimakai; 05-24-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Whats the part number of the dsp chip fitted to your pioneer.

Comment

D808K013CPTP400. This one, is not a BGA IC.

Comment

1. The Digital Signal Processors installed in the affected receivers have part numbers D810K013BZKB400 (Elite SC-55, 57, LX-85; VSX-52, 53, 1021-K, 1121-K, 2021-K61, 63, 1222-K) 65, 1522, 67, 68) and D808K013CPTP400 (Elite SC-61, 63, 65, 67, 68, 1222-K, 1522-K; VSX-60). High end receiver models have two of these chips, one for SD and the other for HD processing. Also noted in an earlier post, these chips were manufactured by Texas Instruments (TI), possibly in 2011-2012.
                                          2. These DSP ICs were among those digital signal processor devices that TI subsequently determined to be subject to premature aging and were thus listed in notifications issued by TI in the latter part of 2012. The first of these notifications was issued by TI on 9/20/2012 as PCN#20120919000 C6747/5/3, OMAPL137, & AM17x & DA8xx/DH8xx Device Family Premature Aging Issue. This PCN was a recall of these devices, but TI offered their customers the option to either return or retain existing inventory, depending on the customers' assessment of field risk. In the same PCN, TI stated that it was implementing a fix to eliminate the issue and that the new material would be available 2Q13. The part numbers are in Table 4-DA8xx device derivatives.
                                          3. The second notification came out on 12/18/2012. PCN#20121114000 Product Withdrawal/Discontinuance Notification C6747/5/3, OMAPL137, AM17x, and DA8xx/DH8xx Device Family informing TI's customers of the discontinuance of production due to the Premature Aging issue on revisions B and C of the DSP devices. The B in D810K013BZKB400 (9th character from left) and the C in D808K013CPTP400 are the revisions referred to in the PCN. According to TI's records at yearend 2012, these devices were purchased by their customers in past 24 months (2011-2012). The PCN strongly encouraged customers to switch to Revision D as soon as possible. The tables in the attachments to the PCN listed the affected devices and the corresponding replacement devices. Again, the part numbers are in Table 4.
                                          4. Pioneer receiver series 70 (SC-75, 77, 79), and those manufactured starting 2013 have all been fitted with improved DSP chips. Pioneer model SC-75, 77 and 79 for instance have revision D DSPs (part number D808K013DPTP400) and model SC-85 has DSP D808K013DPTP456. To date, I have yet to read a report of a Pioneer model with this DSP chip that has failed due to the UE22 error.

from here http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...tening-14.html

edit:
                                          hmm thats interesting https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...12b2bc512f.pdf
                                          the full list of defective chips
                                          Last edited by madan1; 05-31-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X