Samsung 933SN - 2sec on, then off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 933SN - 2sec on, then off

I've searched & read many a post about related 'monitor is on for 2 seconds, than goes off'. I did not see much related to my monitor, Samsung 933SN.

The power supply board says "E131175" and it seems to be common to many different monitors: Dell, Samsung, Acer, Sanyo, Acer, Gateway.

I could not find any evidence saying stuff like "replace CAP this and that", or summat. I could replace the PSU board, for $10 to $40, but from what I can see on eBay, they are not 100% looking like my board.

I do not see any baked/cooked components on the PCB, the CAPs do not looks bulging, the soldering looks fairly clean too.

Re: Samsung 933SN - 2sec on, then off

dry capacitors, try to change it

Comment

ok, nice start, now we need more pics. of each board and one of the whole back to see how theyr all connected.

Comment

Originally posted by angel-boy View Post
        dry capacitors, try to change it
        Thanks, should I replace all caps, even the huge 450v 68uF? or just the smaller ones: 10v 220uF, 25v 47uF, and 25v 470uF. I'll be getting Panasonic FMs.

Oh, what about the two black Dioes, should those be replaced also?

Comment

only caps, should resolve the problem.

Comment

The number starting with E is an UL registration code, it probably belongs to the company that manufactured the circuit board, which could be different or the same company that put the components on the circuit boards.

It doesn't give you much information.

If the capacitors on the board look good... it could be that the capacitors are bad even if they look good but I'm inclined more into checking the fluorescent tubes that are powered by the board.

The monitor has 2 or 4 fluorescent tubes (very small in diameter) which work at high voltage (750-1400 volts) and low current (a few mA).

There are a few problems with such fluorescent tubes:

The wire at the end of those tubes can become loose or have an intermittent contact, which will make the controller on the board stop the lamps after a few seconds. You can check for that by gently pulling away the soft rubber/plastic ends and inspecting the solder there and how well the wire is attached.
            When you're done, the cap will have to be back in place otherwise there will be arc-ing between the solder and the metal backing of the lcd screen.

The fluorescent tubes can also simply be too old. As they age (with lots of hours of operation), the tubes will consume more power to operate. Above a certain threshold of power consumption, the controller will detect more current than normal is used and stops the whole circuit for safety reasons.
            For example, the transformer used to boost low voltage to 700-1500v is only designed for a few mA and if the lamps use more it would overheat, get damaged and potentially make the monitor unsafe.
            The electric arcs like in the previous example are detected as higher power consumption also, so it makes sense to shut off the circuit for protection in such situation.

So check the fluorescent tubes before buying another board or capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshatdot View Post
              Thanks, should I replace all caps, even the huge 450v 68uF?
              No, that one doesn't need to be replaced. It almost never causes problems in PSUs like these. And they tend to be pricey.
              (Now, if the PSU did have APFC, I would have suggested a replacement... but that's not the case here).

Originally posted by Joshatdot View Post
              Oh, what about the two black Dioes, should those be replaced also?
              No.
              PSU would not stay with power ON even for a fraction of second if one of them was bad.

Now here is my question to you: Your title says: "2sec on, then off". What do you mean by "off"? Does the image on the monitor turn OFF *only* (with the LED on the monitor still indicating the monitor is ON), -or- does the monitor turn OFF entirely (i.e. no lights or LEDs on the monitor at all).

If it's issue #1 above, then you probably have an inverter problem (i.e. bad CCFLs/CCFL wires, bad inverter transformer(s), and/or possibly bad caps on the inverter rail)

If it's issue #2, then the problem is usually either bad caps in the power supply (likely) or bad inverter drivers (MOSFETs or BJTs).
              Last edited by momaka; 02-08-2015, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Sorry I wasn't more specific/descriptive on my issue. The monitor would turn on for 2 sec or less, and then the image would turn black, but the power LED would still be on.

Comment

So you do have 2-second to black, as momaka had indicated the possibilities in post 7.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

well, start by testing the connector on power supply for expected voltages, theres a label with expected voltages right by it, do you have a digital mutimeter?

Comment

I have the same monitor and have exactly the same problem, turns out this model is common for going wrong like this. 1 of my surface mounts had fell off which caused other issues but now installed the monitor works apart from that same issue.

more to a description, the monitor lights up and powers on perfectly fine tad slow on start up, this is just wth power lead, as soon as I add the vga cable the monitor shuts off, bare in mind that's before connecting to the pc, as soon as I connect to my pc the screen then shows my desktop for a second then go's out. some times the led will blink and to me that makes me assume there is a power failure some where :s

Comment

Well, I ordered Panny FM replacement caps from Mouser, they should be here in a few days. I'll report back when it's all be recapped.

Comment

Wellp .. it just flat out won't turn on now. I replaced all the caps, put it all back together .. no power.

Meh, I got it at Goodwill a year and a half ago for cheap. And it had some small bruises on the screen. It was a good experience.

On the plus side, I picked up a 19in HP w19b (PN: P87740AA) 1440x900 at Goodwill for $9.95 and works great!
                          Last edited by Joshatdot; 02-13-2015, 05:45 AM. Reason: spelling, model number

Comment

check your soldering and that all the caps are in the right way around.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              +1
                              Sounds like you either have a bad joint or a cap in backwards. -OR- you didn't forget to plug in that power connector to the logic board, did you now? (because, I have, even though I thought I double-checked everything).

By the way, I think you will like that HP w19b monitor. I fixed one a while back (random ceramic cap shorted on the t-con, so unlikely that you or anyone else will have this particular issue with that monitor). On mine, the TFT panel was made by Hannstar and had very good colors for an LCD - I'd say better than most LCDs.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                +1
                                Sounds like you either have a bad joint or a cap in backwards. -OR- you didn't forget to plug in that power connector to the logic board, did you now? (because, I have, even though I thought I double-checked everything).

By the way, I think you will like that HP w19b monitor. I fixed one a while back (random ceramic cap shorted on the t-con, so unlikely that you or anyone else will have this particular issue with that monitor). On mine, the TFT panel was made by Hannstar and had very good colors for an LCD - I'd say better than most LCDs.
                                I'll triple check each cap .. I am 99.999% sure I put them all in correctly.

And I'll double check the connectors on the board & to/from the side buttons connector.

The HP w19b seems to be a very nice vibrant monitor, but it's black has some ghosts/bleeding of the backlighting. It's not as uniform black as my Asus VH242H. I'll prolly be giving the HP to my sisters' kids, as they are using a HDTV for their monitor.

Comment

Check the yellow fuse by the white connector that has the wires goes to the main board to see if it has DCV at each end of the fuse with ref to GND.
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                    Check the yellow fuse by the white connector that has the wires goes to the main board to see if it has DCV at each end of the fuse with ref to GND.
                                    And if it's good, try removing it and see if the monitor will power up.

Comment

Well .. I feel like a n00b .. I forgot to connect the PSU & controler/driver board.

It turns on now .. but I still have the same 2 sec on, then black, power LED is on. When ever there is a res change: GeForce BIOS Check, POST, starting Windows, Windows .. it does come back on for 2 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        ~snip~
                                        Now here is my question to you: Your title says: "2sec on, then off". What do you mean by "off"? Does the image on the monitor turn OFF *only* (with the LED on the monitor still indicating the monitor is ON).

~snip~
                                        If it's issue #1 above, then you probably have an inverter problem (i.e. bad CCFLs/CCFL wires, bad inverter transformer(s), and/or possibly bad caps on the inverter rail)
                                        This was the same issue I had with a Dell 173FPb. I replaced these transistors : 2SC5707 x4, FU9024N x2, and all is good. I did not see tiny transistors like those on the Samsung .. is it the larger thing on the mid-left, or the skinnier thing on the mid bottom? (sorry I don't know their proper names)

Comment

Working...
                                        X