Need help to ID this transistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help to ID this transistor

It may be basically an Armstrong oscillator, like used in Joule thieves and Tesla coils etc.

I'm suggesting a partial schematic, rough scribblings. I don't know what the case connects to, or the two shorted pins- do they go to GND or case. Totally blind as far as even the pinout of this mystery transistor.
    Try measure inductance between the two pins, that will tell you if it's merely a transformer winding we are seeing.

The only other reasons for a short there are melted pcb inner-layer, or a shorted speed-up driver.
    Attached Files

Comment

O.k. that looks similar to what I see. It also uses a gate to source diode. That diode should be by right's very close to the FET. That would explain the short, or even a shorted ceramic cap. Now this is where things have me going. No shorts anything surrounding that area. Quite a few posts back on this thread, I did take that transformer out and the short persisted. However I just measured the 2 pads and I got 0.3uH inductance, same as if I short the leads. I also had discovered that there was a 3rd layer on the board. That layer is impossible to trace, since it is covered up and blocked from big fat traces on the either side of the board. As far as installing a replacement FET with a different case style, I am thinking to gut the TO-3 and use it to mount a TO-220 or whatever on that. So close, but yet still so far away. Ugh.
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 06-09-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Ah so you did find a gate to source zener diode after all? That was the tell tale sign for a "professionally created" mosfet circuit... tells which pins are source and gate...

Now if that were a schottky diode...
        Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-09-2017, 08:38 PM.

Comment

No, there should be a diode but coun't find that sucker yet. It should be close to the FET, but I have almost all smd stuff through on that board and no shorts anywhere. Even if I go with my Leakseeker 89, I always get back to the 2 pads of the TO-3. So almost as the short is intended to be there. At that point, I don't understand the whole thing.
          I did check the mosfet on the newer board, in which the schematic is for and there is no short between the gate and source pin. Unless someone can explain to me how this circuit is supposed to work with the gate to source pads shorted, I am going mad soon.

Comment

The only other way, risky, to ID the short... if there's no other inductors/transformers it could be cause (low R reading)...

I'd inject the two pads with a bench PSU set very low voltage say 0.3V and 0.5A. So "something" is getting power through it and will heat up. A thermal camera you can spot the short right away, even on less power.

It's strange the PCB has these two pins shorted AND the removed transistor has these two pins shorted. Coincidence?

Comment

I may have to do that this way. I have to see a FET yet that is o.k. with 2 pins shorted?

Comment

hi any conclution about this? i have the same problem whit that ecu

Comment

A short between the 2 pins on the TO-3 FET?

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                    Here is the info plus some other information in PDF But I believe it is for a different model ecm
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                      A short between the 2 pins on the TO-3 FET?
                      Hi there,
                      I know it is an old thread but it may help someone.
                      828S14 is not a FET it is a heavy duty fast recovery surge protection diode.
                      Both pins are shorted and measures like a diode from body to any Pin
                      as long as it is not shorted between body and pins its all good.

Also on PCB there is a track shorting these two pins and going to little transformer.
                      Thanks

Comment

All the TO-3 diodes are dual except for power zeners. Are you sure?
                        Microsemi has 50W zener in TO-3 package with the two pins shorted, and either polarity available. Example Microsemi 1N2816A 18V 50W, standard polarity; anode is case.

Comment

Unfortunately at that time there was absolutely no reference available on what that 828S14 supposed to be. And I believe there is still no reference to this thing available, which makes it absolutely useless.

Comment

Hi Guys
                            Sorry for posting in this older thread but it does relate. This has been a good read regarding the Celect series controls

I have got one on the bench at the moment that will not power up. THer is no 5v supply at all. Have replaced the electro capacitors as these fell off due to vibration and age also replaced some open circuit resistors.

I have found that there is an SOT-23 packaged device that connects to the small transformer and the 67S01 device. I have circled the area in the attached pictures. THe device is difficult to ID as there is a hole in it. Plus I can not find data on the 67S01.

Can someone help to identify the SOT-23 device even if its just marking codes of a good unit we are trying to avoid buying new as theis is an expensive controller.

Thanks in advance
                            Daniel
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X