Help identifying caps on this video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identifying caps on this video card

A bit of history: When I was younger and foolish (let's say, six months ago), an old GeForce FX 5500 came into my possession. This thing had polymer caps (vents open), and smaller standard caps. I removed them, but I was ignorant of the important difference between polymer and standard caps. The old polymers said "6.3v 1000", and I used 6.3v 1000uF standard caps. Of course, the board refused to work, and I removed all the caps, including the small ones. Now I have found that board again, and I want to give it a shot, but I don't know which caps must go on this thing (I remember the 6.3v 1000 from the old polys, but the small ones... no clue). I have found a picture of the card, a perfect layout match, but I can't get the values from the caps. If anyone happens to have/found/seen this particular board and can write the cap values, please do. It will help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.0Ghz @ 3.5Ghz - ECS A780GM-A v1.0 - 4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 - 2 GB Kingston DDR2 800 Value - ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB - Windows 7 x64 - A bunch of hard drives

Re: Help identifying caps on this video card

Polys do not usually have vents - they were most probably Sacon FZ electrolytic caps. (Metal can without plastic sleeve, blue marker on top)

Comment

had a similar card. exact same card layout, but with a FX5200 GPU and passive cooled (even had the same heatsink, just without the fan)

the ones in the upper half of the pic with the X vent are all 6,3V 1000uF, the small ones next to the fan connector were all 16V 100uF on my card.

Comment

(taking notes) Great! Only two more to go. One is almost hidden under the power cord for the cooler, and the other is right next to the "clock-thingie" (I don't remember the name for that). They look the same so, they can't be too far of 16V 100uF. Thanks!
        AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.0Ghz @ 3.5Ghz - ECS A780GM-A v1.0 - 4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 - 2 GB Kingston DDR2 800 Value - ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB - Windows 7 x64 - A bunch of hard drives

Comment

on my card, all of those smaller ones were 16V 100uF

Comment

Then that's it, if you had a board with those caps, those values have to work in mine. I'll give it a shot as soon as I can. Thanks, Scenic!

Comment

Working...
            X