Another broken CTL, flashing LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another broken CTL, flashing LED

This one also won't power up, the LED on the front just flashes orange and blue. When plugged in it gives that high pitched whine sound. Getting 165.5V across the input cap, the voltage regulators are giving out proper voltage on the main board (going from right to left in the picture):

Pin 1 = 0.00V
    Pin 2 = 3.31V
    Pin 3 = 5.10V

Pin 1 = 0.00V
    Pin 2 = 1.80V
    Pin 3 = 5.10V

Pin 1 = 0.00V
    Pin 2 = 3.30V
    Pin 3 = 4.78V (Seems pretty low)

The whine on the power supply would change pitch when testing the regulators. Also, the fuses test fine. When unplugged the whine goes away immediately.
    Attached Files

Re: Another broken CTL, flashing LED

1) For the future, when posting the results of the voltage regulator, add the part number so we can tell if the voltage regulators are good or not. We all don't have the eagle eyes of selldoor (although I was able to see enough in your photos to know all 3 are good).

2) I always recommend hooking up a working computer to the lcd.

3) What about the other voltages on the power board (i.e. the connector)?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      1) For the future, when posting the results of the voltage regulator, add the part number so we can tell if the voltage regulators are good or not. We all don't have the eagle eyes of selldoor (although I was able to see enough in your photos to know all 3 are good).

2) I always recommend hooking up a working computer to the lcd.

3) What about the other voltages on the power board (i.e. the connector)?
      Okay, sorry about that!

On the cable going from the power board, 5VSB = 5.10V, 3.37V on the red wire, 0.02V on the orange wire, all the others read 0.00V

Is it likely that the whine is one of the caps? They're all crap brands: Elite & Lelon

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
        Okay, sorry about that!

On the cable going from the power board, 5VSB = 5.10V, 3.37V on the red wire, 0.02V on the orange wire, all the others read 0.00V

Is it likely that the whine is one of the caps? They're all crap brands: Elite & Lelon
        1) Is there a legend (check backside too) that says what the different colors are?

2) If not, red might be PS_ON (3.3V DC)? If yes, then there is a problem on the power supply because the inverter voltages are missing.

3) I count 4 diodes in the secondary and 2 in the inverter section. See if the 6 are shorted or not.

4) The whining could be from capacitors. My HP 22 inch had bad caps and one of them whined.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          1) Is there a legend (check backside too) that says what the different colors are?

2) If not, red might be PS_ON (3.3V DC)? If yes, then there is a problem on the power supply because the inverter voltages are missing.

3) I count 4 diodes in the secondary and 2 in the inverter section. See if the 6 are shorted or not.

4) The whining could be from capacitors. My HP 22 inch had bad caps and one of them whined.
          I can check to see if there is a legend on the back. Am I checking the diodes for resistance or DC voltage? I might replace the Lelon start up cap to see if it goes away

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
            Am I checking the diodes for resistance or DC voltage?
            Use diode check on your multimeter. You should have 2 readings for each diode.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
            X