common components to have in stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

common components to have in stock

I just started end of last year to repair stuff for others and buy/recycle discarded TVs etc.

Apart from capacitors what are the most common components I should have in stock? I do have common parts like MosFets, bipolar transistors, schottkys TVS etc. But it seems many repairs require me to buy components I do NOT have. Mostly special semiconductors.

For common faults there are repair kits, but I don't want to stock all of them of course.

I live in a small town (<100k pop) and there won't be that many customers.

Many parts, if I don't want to pay a lot I would have to buy from China over ebay for example. Takes several weeks.

How do you handle this? Maybe not the professional TV/Laptop guys but people like me with max 5 to 10 units per month.

Re: common components to have in stock

Originally posted by paulstef View Post
    Many parts, if I don't want to pay a lot I would have to buy from China over ebay for example. Takes several weeks.
    Feedback for digikey.ca service is excellent. For $8 USD s/h, you typically get parts within 24 hours. I haven't used them in a while, so you might want to check the current shipping price.

Digikey ships their stuff from the USA. Yes, USA to Canada shipments in around 24 hours.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm using Newark Canada ( Farnell I think), stuff ships out of NC by UPS, $8. Less than 48 hrs to Ontario and I notice it come through Montreal first.

Comment

Originally posted by Fwrothy View Post
        I'm using Newark Canada ( Farnell I think), stuff ships out of NC by UPS, $8. Less than 48 hrs to Ontario and I notice it come through Montreal first.
        Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        Feedback for digikey.ca service is excellent. For $8 USD s/h, you typically get parts within 24 hours. I haven't used them in a while, so you might want to check the current shipping price.

Digikey ships their stuff from the USA. Yes, USA to Canada shipments in around 24 hours.
        You are both right, digikey and newark are excellent options. And I love DKs search feature. I was under the impression shipping from newark costs around $15 though.

Anyway, if you need only 1 part to repair a 20" monitor even $8 can hurt. It's a shame everything got so cheap. It seems it's always the parts I do not have in stock are the ones damaged.

Comment

I'm making a habit of ordering $8 worth of common parts at a time so it doesn't hurt quite as much ( I'm cheap)! We need a good Canadian market for stuff I find eBay sucks due to the high shipping charges and cross border crap, ya free trade...
          Btw does anyone know where to source CCFLs looking for replacements for a Sharp LC37d44u?
          Found this but again not sure about shipping to the Great White North...
          http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lacclaforlcd.html
          Last edited by Fwrothy; 03-22-2014, 06:19 AM. Reason: Add info

Comment

I'm making a habit of ordering $8 worth of common parts at a time so it doesn't hurt quite as much ( I'm cheap)! We need a good Canadian market for stuff I find eBay sucks due to the high shipping charges and cross border crap, ya free trade...
            Btw does anyone know where to source CCFLs looking for replacements for a Sharp LC37d44u?
            Don't tell me about cross border charges. Ordered once something which was delivered by UPS. The parts where about $26 Had to pay $24 import charges and taxes and whatever. Never again.
            If you want cheap, ebay is sometimes the ONLY option. The problem is it can take weeks for some part to arrive from Asia... if it arrives.

For your CCFL I suggest opening another thread. People won't necessarily see your post here.

Comment

I do see an opportunity here for a network, our 10% population vs. U.S. is a disadvantage though, maybe a niche on kijji or something dunno...
              Thanks for your help Paulstef.

Ferd

Comment

Anyway, if you need only 1 part to repair a 20" monitor even $8 can hurt.
                If you are repairing things for customers, give them the option or forewarn them that getting a part might cost $8 USD for s/h. Let them decide whether it is worth an extra $8 USD ($9 CDN).
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Found this but again not sure about shipping to the Great White North...
                  http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lacclaforlcd.html
                  I've bought from them, they are a pretty good shop. Ship quickly and fairly cheaply all the way to New Zealand so I don't see why shipping to Canada should be a problem.
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Don't tell me about cross border charges. Ordered once something which was delivered by UPS. The parts where about $26 Had to pay $24 import charges and taxes and whatever. Never again.
                    If you want cheap, ebay is sometimes the ONLY option. The problem is it can take weeks for some part to arrive from Asia... if it arrives.

For your CCFL I suggest opening another thread. People won't necessarily see your post here.
                    Didn't mean to hijack your thread Paulstef, it was early yesterday, just finished a pot of coffee and my brain was just spooling up; got on a bit of a rant. Btw I'm pretty the prices from Newark are in $Cdn.

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                    I've bought from them, they are a pretty good shop. Ship quickly and fairly cheaply all the way to New Zealand so I don't see why shipping to Canada should be a problem.
                    Thanks Agent24, good to know!

Comment

Working...
                    X