More memory or less memory than speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More memory or less memory than speed?

On a computer with i3 core to 3.2 that comes with 4 GB of DDR3 1333Mhz, if memory conbined with other 4 modules of 1024Mhz, the bus goes to work at 1024Mhz ... the difference is very noticeable in performance or is it better to have 4 gigs of ram to 1333 rather than 1024? thank you very much

Re: More memory or less memory than speed?

It is slowing down to reduce loading on the RAM BUS and RAM Power.

Which is better depends of what you do with it.

For most people 4GB is more than they actually use anyway.
    If you have a 32-bit OS then it won't use more than 4GB even if you have it.

If you are not a gamer and you don't do CAD or some kind of graphics processing then 4GB is enough. [Probably more than enough.]

I would choose the 4GB at 1333MHz.

If you want more then use 4 x 2GB modules.
    Fewer -modules- will reduce the load and it -might- even run at 1333 that way.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

The 1024MHz is throwing me off, but what I think he means is that he has 4 Gigs (presumably 2x2GB sticks) running at 1333MHz, and he has 4x1GB that are rated for 1024MHz (1066?). That means it would run the 1333MHz sticks at 1066MHz, but he would have twice the ram. I think what he wants to know is if it is faster to have more, slower, ram or less but at a faster speed

...(which you did answer, and I agree with that answer.)

Although, it's a i3 and I'm guessing his motherboard has 6 ram slots so he can run tri-channel with it, though it would still be at 1066MHz.

Comment

So which is faster A1064 8 gigs of ram or 4 gigs of ram to 1333? I refer to levels of performance, and if you would notice a lot ... the OS is MacosX ... thank you very much friends

Comment

Depends on what kind of application you have. Not sure about osx since ive never used it a lot but most operating systems have some kind of system monitor. I would take a look there, see how much ram youre really using compared with what you have.

Beware though that at least for linux the model for how memory is managed is different. Linux will allocate memory beforehand and report it as used if youre not looking in the right place.

For my own purposes i would go for the 8gb of ram, cause of the way i use my comptuter. I always have 50-100 tabs in webbrowsers open as well as maybe a game running. Thats not how all people use their computers though

So in short, look into how much memory you are actually using now and from that make a decision on what is best for you.

Comment

Thanks, what is not is if someone has done it, but hey I have to pass some test to see how it behaves in a stable system or not ... I is to take advantage of the modules, although it is true that memory now this cheap ... thank you very much ... greetings and best soys

Comment

Originally posted by patriciopat View Post
              So which is faster A1064 8 gigs of ram or 4 gigs of ram to 1333? I refer to levels of performance, and if you would notice a lot ... the OS is MacosX ... thank you very much friends
              Like I said before, that depends on what you do with it..

If you are an average user then you probably don't -actually- use more than about 2 GB of RAM anyway and the 1333MHz would be faster.

I've attached a typical RAM vs Performance Curve.
              That extra 4GB will probably gain less than the lower speed will loose.
              - But as said by 3 people now,, it depends on what you do [apps] on the PC.

Attached Files
              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-10-2011, 07:27 AM.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Thanks for the help, soys the best ... I love this forum.

Comment

Lets not forget about latentcy timings either...

Comment

Osx is 64 bit so you can use more than 4gb ram, but as others said WILL you use that much? So the long answer is it depends on what you do. Gaming, faster ram will help, browsing the entire internet or working with large files, as much ram as you can stuff in it. But if your that worried about it get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231351 and buy as Manny as it will hold. (Note I can't get the compatibility wizard to run on my phone so double check to make sure its compatible)

Comment

Working...
                    X