Dell SE198WFPf - Backlights go off after 2 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell SE198WFPf - Backlights go off after 2 seconds

I'm working threw the tests described in retiredcaps tutorial and so far nothing bad found. I did happen to locate a *hopefully* equivalent datasheet for this inverter controller chip. The one on the board is a OZ9937GN and this sheet is for an OZ9938GN so im not 100% sure of the difference but the package is identical. Datasheet attached, start on page 10, rest is gibberish.

Never did troubleshooting on an IC before but i'm going to give it a shot lol, datasheet seems to give a decent picture of what exactly it does and what pins do what. (but i guess thats the point of a datasheet right?) lol
    Attached Files

Comment

well i resoldered the inverters and most joints in between it and the ccfl connectors, the first time i powered it up after that it did nothing different, went off after a couple seconds, but the second time i powered it up it stays on for about 1 min. then starts to kind of flicker, then shuts off. And this is repeateable.. but it seems that if i have the power board or wires just right it will only come on for the 1-2 sec again.

Comment

more info.. voltage from transistors at 12 oclock and 1:30 locations looking from top of board. Don't know if this helps but it seemed odd that the one at 12oclock would do what it is doing when the ccfl's go out.

12oclock transistor - when ccfl's are working normally
        1- ~3.2V
        2- ~16v
        3- ~3.2V

12oclock transistor -when ccfl's go out and stay out
        1- Alternates between ~1.85V and ~2.35V
        2- Stays at ~19V
        3- Alternates between ~1.85V and ~2.35V

1:30 transistor - stays same weather ccfl's are on or off
        1- 0v
        2- 5v
        3- 0v

Comment

I see several options. If you have a working ccfl, wire it in sequentially to each high voltage output until all backlights stay on. This assumes that you only have ONE backlight out.

PlainBill had a post to substitute a resistor for a backlight, and that would do the same thing, only it would be able to compensate for 3 of the 4 backlights. You could then wire in three resistors and see if the remaining backlight stayed on. If so, then remove the next resistor, and then the next until your original problem returned. That would identify that you have a backlight problem, and also show you which one was defective.

I think I read you resoldered the leads to the backlights....did you mean at the electode from the backlight itself? If so, sounds like you already have the screen opened. Try a known good ccfl or the resistor trick.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
            It depends. I've seen some that showed up clearly with a resistance check AND ringing, but the transformer looked perfect. And there was a picture posted recently with obvious physical damage to a transformer. I'd say it depends on how close the tolerances of the protection circuit is.

PlainBill
            I agree. A sloppy tolerance on the protection circuit will allow overheating, while the tighter ones just shut the secondary down before the xformer has a chance to cook the board. As you know, the resistances can be so slight that less expensive DMM's have a hard time differentiating them.

BTW, for your resistor trick, I've used the tungsten filament from a discarded hair dryer to custom make various resistances. They handle the wattage of this application easily, and can be cut to length to dial in the resitance. I'm Scottish....and cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by romansroad View Post
              I agree. A sloppy tolerance on the protection circuit will allow overheating, while the tighter ones just shut the secondary down before the xformer has a chance to cook the board. As you know, the resistances can be so slight that less expensive DMM's have a hard time differentiating them.

BTW, for your resistor trick, I've used the tungsten filament from a discarded hair dryer to custom make various resistances. They handle the wattage of this application easily, and can be cut to length to dial in the resitance. I'm Scottish....and cheap!
              The stinginess of the Scots, while legendary, is a poor second to that of a farmer of German descent who grew up in the Depression. I see absolutely nothing wrong about reusing or modifying parts to achieve something not readily available. In one of the electronics magazines of the 60's or 70's (Radio Electronics, Popular Electronics?), I saw an article on using a triangular file to notch carbon composite resistors to adjust their resistance.
              Compared to that, reusing a heating element is normal.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by WoR496 View Post
                I'm working threw the tests described in retiredcaps tutorial and so far nothing bad found.
                It would help to know what tests you have done so far so people aren't suggesting things that you have already tried.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

more info.. voltage from transistors at 12 oclock and 1:30 locations looking from top of board. Don't know if this helps but it seemed odd that the one at 12oclock would do what it is doing when the ccfl's go out.

12oclock transistor - when ccfl's are working normally
                  1- ~3.2V
                  2- ~16v
                  3- ~3.2V

12oclock transistor -when ccfl's go out and stay out
                  1- Alternates between ~1.85V and ~2.35V
                  2- Stays at ~19V
                  3- Alternates between ~1.85V and ~2.35V

1:30 transistor - stays same weather ccfl's are on or off
                  1- 0v
                  2- 5v
                  3- 0v

Without knowing how these transistors are connected, it's very difficult to determine if they're functioning properly. The reading for the 1:30 transistor (if it is a transistor) looks off, but we don't know if that's being caused by another component. The "transistor" could very well be the duo diode pack that outputs the 5 volts. Look carefully at the silk screening near the component. DXXX is a diode, QXXX is a transistor. A diode is NOT the same as a transistor. If necessary, please provide a photo with the component(s) that you tested circled. Pictures say much more than words. Even providing a part number will help determine what the component is. Believe me, if you make people second guess as to what you're doing, then you'll receive little help.
                  Last edited by jetadm123; 11-24-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    It would help to know what tests you have done so far so people aren't suggesting things that you have already tried.
                    sorry i've got myself tied in a knot and so much going on i forgot what all i did, but luckily i stumbled across something now that i have the ccfl's out of the display, one has a HV leak, touched the metal case and got a nice suprise. stuck the pos lead of my DMM on it and it started beeping and going nuts. I suppose this could cause the problems i'm having? I oppologize in advance for being a pain in the rear noob with this stuff, i really don't have a whole lot of experience with component level electronics troubleshooting. Wish i had a spare ccfl around. Yes i know, use a proper resistor but at this point im holding off on that since one i'm not 100% sure what i need, and two i don't want to wait a week to get one lol.

So i guess i'll try and hunt down a good ccfl or maybe this one can be helped? lol

oh and for some reason now i can get them to stay on for longer than i care to wait to see when they will shut off (over an hour), but has hissing sound from the leaking ccfl, also i noticed one white wire running across the top of the metal on the ccfl were it enters the other end of the bulb is burnt.
                    Last edited by WoR496; 11-24-2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

You have found the problem, Ccfls do not leak and continue to work, you probably have a wire you have to re solder .
                      With power off gently tug on the wires at the ends of the ccfl tubes if it has a poor solder joint you will find it
                      Al.
                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Ah Hah!

Bad ccfl wiring.....I'm so sorry you had to open the screen, but you're getting off cheaply with only a rewire and not buying a new tube (although they're not that much).

Be careful on the re-assembly to not kink the wire. I use clear silicone on the ends after appling heatshrink, and all has been well.

Nicely done! You're officially not a noob, and remember that a a bunch of voltage tests can't substitute for a close visual inspection (or in this case a nice high voltage shock!)

Comment

The stinginess of the Scots, while legendary, is a poor second to that of a farmer of German descent who grew up in the Depression. I see absolutely nothing wrong about reusing or modifying parts to achieve something not readily available. In one of the electronics magazines of the 60's or 70's (Radio Electronics, Popular Electronics?), I saw an article on using a triangular file to notch carbon composite resistors to adjust their resistance.
                          Compared to that, reusing a heating element is normal.

PlainBill
                          I bow (in my kilt) to your superior stinginess!

Comment

found the bad solder joint on one of the bulbs, re soldered but in the process i messed up the rubber that was covering it, so now it has carefully placed electrical tape around it lol, but to my surprise no arcing, no hissing or other sounds, and no lights going out. Silent as can be. I figured i'd get a spark show but for now all is good. Now if i can get it back together without messing it up in the process

I appriciate the help very much from you all. If i post again i'll be sure bring a little more to the table next time so i don't pull the annoying noob post again, sorry about that.

Comment

found the bad solder joint on one of the bulbs, re soldered but in the process i messed up the rubber that was covering it, so now it has carefully placed electrical tape around it lol, but to my surprise no arcing, no hissing or other sounds, and no lights going out. Silent as can be. I figured i'd get a spark show but for now all is good. Now if i can get it back together without messing it up in the process

I appriciate the help very much from you all. If i post again i'll be sure bring a little more to the table next time so i don't pull the annoying noob post again, sorry about that.
                              I would suggest you NOT reassemble it that way. Instead, either get a new end cap or use romansroad's suggestion and use clear silicone sealant. The adhesive on electrical tape tends to soften as it ages.

PlainBill
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The stinginess of the Scots, while legendary,
                                We can thank the Scots for copper wire. They "invented" it.

2 Scotsmen fighting over a penny..

I can say that, I'm part Scottish, and have some Scotch in my blood as I type this...
                                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I got the same model(SE198WFPf) Dell monitor and it has the same problem. The date of mfg is May 2008.
                                  But it looks weird.
                                  a) When set the brightness and the contrast to 50%, the backlight turns off after 1 or 2 seconds, but the power LED stays on, and u can see the shadow of the image.
                                  b) When set the brightness and the contrast to 100%, it can stay longer (about 30 minutes), then the backlight turns off.
                                  And have checked the power board and logic board, no sign of burn or bad-solder. Also checked all the caps and readings r ok. Then checked 4 CCFLs individually, all works fine, but not that even to spread onto the screen, the end side(opposite to the tube connector) is weak.

Is that because the CCFL is getting old(but not dead yet), then the protection circuit shuts it off? Or the higher voltage power can activate the backlight much longer?

Have no clue, any help would really appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by cynz View Post
                                    I got the same model(SE198WFPf) Dell monitor and it has the same problem. The date of mfg is May 2008.
                                    But it looks weird.
                                    a) When set the brightness and the contrast to 50%, the backlight turns off after 1 or 2 seconds, but the power LED stays on, and u can see the shadow of the image.
                                    b) When set the brightness and the contrast to 100%, it can stay longer (about 30 minutes), then the backlight turns off.
                                    And have checked the power board and logic board, no sign of burn or bad-solder. Also checked all the caps and readings r ok. Then checked 4 CCFLs individually, all works fine, but not that even to spread onto the screen, the end side(opposite to the tube connector) is weak.

Is that because the CCFL is getting old(but not dead yet), then the protection circuit shuts it off? Or the higher voltage power can activate the backlight much longer?

Have no clue, any help would really appreciate.
                                    1. PLEASE, use standard English. Textese gives me a headache.

2. Could you give me more detail on the highlighted sentence. Were the CCFLS connected to the monitor's inverter, or to a test inverter? If it was to the monitor's inverter, that indicates an output voltage problem. Were the CCFLs out of the LCD panel?

Of course, pictures of YOUR power supply / inverter and of the partially lit CCFLs would be a big help. Attach using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill

Comment

1. PLEASE, use standard English. Textese gives me a headache.

2. Could you give me more detail on the highlighted sentence. Were the CCFLS connected to the monitor's inverter, or to a test inverter? If it was to the monitor's inverter, that indicates an output voltage problem. Were the CCFLs out of the LCD panel?

Of course, pictures of YOUR power supply / inverter and of the partially lit CCFLs would be a big help. Attach using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill
                                      Hi PlainBill, thanks for the reply.

I have taken the bottom ccfl out of the LCD panel, and tested these two tubes individually by a tester instead of the monitor's inverter. It can light up but begin to get red/pink, and part of the tube is dim. And when saw closely, found two ends have been burnt to black. No wonder the light spread unevenly on the screen in previous test. Right now, I'm pretty sure the ccfl is the culprit. But here comes to another question: Where can I get the right size CCFL? Cheers
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by cynz; 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynz View Post
                                        Hi PlainBill, thanks for the reply.

I have take the ccfl out of the LCD panel, and tested it individually by a tester instead of the monitor's inverter. It can light up but begin to get red, and part of the tube is dim. And when see closely, find teo ends have been burnt to black. No doubt the light spread unevenly on the screen before. Right now, I'm pretty sure the ccfl is the culprit. But here comes to another question, where can get the right size CCFL? Cheers
                                        Did you also try this with the monitors inverter, or better yet by hooking them to the inverter in another monitor? It appears that the voltage is not high enough to fully light them. I saw this when I was using an inverter with a much lower output voltage. If you got the same results, I would say the CCFLs are bad, the do have a pinkish tint.

In the USA, CCFL Warehouse has the reputation for being a reliable source.

PlainBill

Comment

Ok, I've now had 2 different Dell SE198WFP monitors with the same problem and I had to read numerous posts on numerous blogs looking for a solution before I actually figured it out, everything that I'd read suggested bad capacitors on the inverter board (and I'm sure that's an issue, but it wasn't mine). After replacing all of the caps on the inverter I still had the same problem.

Long story short, I found (on both of my SE198WFP monitor's) that at least one of the four CCFL backlight tubes had a burnt wire on the end of it. Period.

Now I'm not sure if this is a common problem with this monitor, but it was in fact the problem with both of mine, and after fixing these wires both monitors now work just fine :-) It seems that all four CCFL's have to pull the same amount of current or the monitor trips the overload and shuts down the inverter. I hope this helps!! And good hunting :-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X