Packard Bell laptop Ares GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packard Bell laptop Ares GM

Need to separate the two halves to check power supply [power is down].
    But there is a pole holding the two together with no screw or nut, which I don't know how to remove.
    Can you help, please?
    Model Ares GM.
    [Pictures supplied]
    Attached Files

Re: Packard Bell laptop Ares GM

Screwed from the bottom of the laptop?
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I can see the knurling around where the metal post meets the plastic frame. The metal post and the plastic frame are not supposed to come apart. In other words, the metal post will stay attached to the plastic frame when you disassemble it. I'm in agreement with dood - look for a screw on the other side somewhere. It may be under some other cover or component.

Comment

It looked obvious to me, but upon removing some keys I found no screw at all.
        I guess there is one under the plastic panel bellow the keys, but how would I remove that panel without having to remove ALL the keys?

I am very puzzled.

Comment

it's probably under the keyboard itself... in my earlier reply, I didn't realise we were already looking at the bottom of the laptop.

There should be a way to remove the entire keyboard. Usually a few screws along the top edge, under a trim piece. But sometimes they just snap in.
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Could be, dood.
            I have already checked the keyboard area for small screws or clipping parts, but found nothing.
            But I think you could be right - there is no other way to get to the damned screw, I guess! I will have a look tomorrow.

By the way, this computer is dead.
            The customer complained that it took some effort to start it on the on button, eventually being harder and finally nothing.
            From a small opening, I managed to spray the little switch, to no effect.

Comment

The entire keyboard comes apart as a unit. Don't remove individual keys, that will get you nowhere. I can't find any good hi-res photos of the laptop model to comment on how it might come apart. If there's no screws, I'd look for a plastic lip the keyboard tucks under. Sometimes you'll need to remove other plastic panels that are actually on top of the last 1mm or so of keyboard edge.

Comment

Looking at ebay auctions for replacement keyboards, it appears that it either is not screwed in at all, or the screws holding the keyboard down come up from the bottom.
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

You guys are really super smart, thanks a lot for the tips.
                  Just managed to remove the keyboard easily.
                  Pictures to prove it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X