Serverworks Chipset & PCI video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serverworks Chipset & PCI video

Just a general enquiry: Has anyone here used a PCI video card in place of the onboard ATI Rage video, on a server board, and had good results?

I have tried various PCI cards on various server boards (Asus, Supermicro and Tyan) and have had poor video performance, despite overriding the onboard video with jumpers or in the bios.

This is highlighted by using, of all things, the AisleRiot solitaire game (Linux).
    As you move the cards, you get "trails" and you can lock up the board using this application. Video performance in youtube etc is also below par, although no lockups. This is with NEW and recapped boards.

I can take the same PCI video card, put it in, for example, my recapped Soyo socket A board(s), and the video performance is great.

I'm thinking there is either a "trick" or the Serverworks chipset just does not like PCI video.

It looks like the PCI video is encountering some kind of IRQ or resource sharing conflict.

Any ideas?

Re: Serverworks Chipset & PCI video

I used a vanta lt in place of a ati rage on a poweredge 1800, performance in xp suffered, when I installed win7 64 I put a fx 5200 pci in there and areo performance sucked, but then again that would happen even with an agp 5200

I find that servers, you should just stick with something non-graphics intensive. I mean, it is a server. I usually just put linux server on it an leave it alone. Maybe you could get like a MX 420 PCi and be sure to install (and activate) the nvidia linux drivers
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
    X