Are these Dells any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these Dells any good?

I was at my computer recycling place today, saw the following Dells: Optiplex 745 C2D, also 5200 and 6200 models. Also GX260.

What Dell models are good as in very good?

The C2D (Core 2 Duo) models were $200, which sounds steep to me.

Re: Are these Dells any good?

I love the 745s, had a bunch of them at work, most of them are retired, but my main test system is still a 745, and I have 2 running as VMWare ESXi servers. Solid units.

260s are ok as well, have a few as Linux servers.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

$200 is a bit steep, though I'd say you get $200 worth of computer, but they do usually go for less. Also, considering it's a recycler, they likely paid nothing, or even got paid to take them a
      way...
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

The 745's are pretty nice. Are they SFF, desktop, minitower? I usually buy from TigerDirect, but their QC has gone down the crapper lately.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

C2d is a current processor so that price is ok but more than id pay in my market. The amount of ram and video card type would be the deciding factor. More than 2gbid of ram and a nvidia 7 series or higher cpu and id go for it

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
            The C2D (Core 2 Duo) models were $200, which sounds steep to me.
            That's very cheap. For that price, I'd expect to be gettimg maybe a P4 2.4 nothwood with 1GB RAM and 40GB HDD. For a C2D I'd expect around $350-400.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I think you're talking australian dollars while he's talking canadian (or maybe US) dollars. $200 is alright for a C2D box, but only if it's got some half-decent graphics card in it.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Remember that ATM, the aussie dollar is actually worth more than the US dollar and the canadian dollar, so it would actually be more. At work, we currently have a C2D with onboard graphics for sale at $390AUD ($403CA or $414US) and people think it's really cheap. The only reason we still have it is because it has windows vistrash.
                Last edited by c_hegge; 06-10-2011, 05:35 AM.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Hmm, i'm not uptodate it seems. I knew the US$ had collapsed but not THIS bad.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

No no.. Core 2 line is out of production now. All you get is on used market and supply of new Pentium Dual core, C2D and C2Q are drying up right now. Yet I'm frustrated at crazy prices of some 775 processors I mentioned on ebay. Come on!!

i7 came first just 3 years ago, i3 and i5 came out last year.

PS: 745 is severely limited on CPU choices, 65nm only that means E6700 2.66GHz C2D is max.
                    This was reason I went to 780 mainboard once I saw best deal on ebay for that and bought it. 755, 760 and 780 are good picks mainboards. Just watch out not all have right boards and i/o ports on back.
                    This is very odd that Dell made each mainboard specific to case type alone therefore violating the BTX context of exchangeable between desktop and towers.

Cheers, Wizard
                    Last edited by Wizard; 06-10-2011, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                      The 745's are pretty nice. Are they SFF, desktop, minitower? I usually buy from TigerDirect, but their QC has gone down the crapper lately.
                      These are SFF. Normally I don't like this format, but I figure C2D is cool-running. Does SFF restrict you to onboard video?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
                        These are SFF. Normally I don't like this format, but I figure C2D is cool-running. Does SFF restrict you to onboard video?
                        Really depends on the box. On a GX520 that I have, the pinout is there for a PCIe card, but they didn't put the slot itself on the board. Not sure with the others....
                        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                        X