Bad caps on a ASUS P5L-VM1394, need help im a noob at this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps on a ASUS P5L-VM1394, need help im a noob at this

Hi this is my first real post here, anyway I bought a ASUS LGA 775 MOBD for a build i want to do and it looks like i have a few bad caps
    I attached several pictures of said caps, the last pic is of caps between the ram slots and they are very slightly bulged, pls let me know if you thing i should get them two in the mean time im gong to focuses on the other 4 larger caps and as soon as i get them off i will get the info on what they are exactly.

Have started trying to desolderer with my 40watt iron and solder wick and im not getting very far, is my iron to dam small to heat up the caps?
    Attached Files

Re: Bad caps on a ASUS P5L-VM1394, need help im a noob at this

ok i pulled out all 6 caps this is what i have
    2x Evercon E96C 105oC 6.3v 330uF
    4X no name (cant find one) KZG 6(K) 6d 105oC 6.3v 820uF

I'm going to try to look for these parts on my own but i don't really know were to start for that so some help with getting the right caps would be appreciated
    Last edited by kato1144; 07-20-2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

ok i have done some searching on mouser.ca and found some listing, but i have not idea what to get, also I don't know if there is a difference in 6.3V or 6.3VDC (this is all in the DC section in not searching the AC section), anyway this is the searches i did on mouser, if any one can help me narrow down what i need to replace my cap, thanks for you help.

http://ca.mouser.com/Passive-Compone...z0wrktZ1yx8e91

VDC:
      http://ca.mouser.com/Passive-Compone...z0wrjoZ1yx4avt

http://ca.mouser.com/Passive-Compone...z0wrktZ1yx4avt
      Last edited by kato1144; 07-20-2017, 01:14 AM.

Comment

The KZG is model designation, it is made by United Chami-Con.
        Here is the datasheet:
        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...878fdbd0cd.pdf

You want to look for caps that are as close as possible in ripple rating (higher=better) and ESR (lower=better)
        ("Maximum Impedance Ω at +20°C, 100kHz" in the datasheet)
        Capacitance you can go up or down a bit, the rating of most caps is anyway +/- 20% of stated capacitance.

The Rubycon ZLH 1000uF 10v 8x16mm might be a good substitute for example:
        https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=46

The Evercon I'm not sure about, you can see if you can find some other writing on it and then look for it's datasheet online or here:
        http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/Evercon/

As for the voltage rating on Mouser: yea that's just an omission of whoever puts them on the site, they are identical.
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

for the KZG, i think i found a suitable replacement:

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...%252bypO7zk%3d
          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...e14313e448.pdf

the max Impedance is 0.020 ohms/100KHz higher, the ripple is 190Ma rms/100KHz lower, i dont know if these values are to far out of wack please let me know, also the ESR is 56 mOhms, the old caps just said low ESR on the data sheet and I could not find a actual number so is 56 mOhms considered low?

I took a ohm reading with my meter and got a read of 10 mOhms that started increasing to about 50-60mOhm as the cap charged from my device, it ended up accumulating 460mV, i dont know what that is in uF but that might give some light to the ESR on this cap.

as for the Evercon I have no idea, I could not find it listed in the data sheets and if it is there i have no idea how to determine that, the E69C number on this is pretty useless as far as identifying this cap any help would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: I uploaded pic's of the Evercon caps
          Attached Files
          Last edited by kato1144; 07-20-2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I linked you the datasheet for KZG?
            820uF, 6.3v, 8x11.5mm, 0.036ESR, 1140Ripple

Trying to measure the caps without an ESR meter is useless.
            The Evercon caps might just be ordinary General Purpose caps, but I'm not sure.
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Isn't it said somewhere on this site that black GSC aka Evercon caps without series marking are their LE series?

Edit: Found the reference here. PCBONEZ used to know his capacitors.
              Last edited by sofTest; 07-20-2017, 04:58 PM.
              ------------
              Be a mensch

Comment

Originally posted by kato1144 View Post
                FM is a better replacement than FR, if you can live with the size.

Another one would be a cheapish Polymer cap like Kemet A750 Series.

Comment

+1 vote for poly, you will never have to worry about them again.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Sry it has been a while, i had RL happened and the cap replacement project took a back seat for a while but im back now and I'm chomping at the bit again,

found a prefect replacement form the fatter of the 2 caps: http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...kgi81JuQ%3d%3d

is a Panasonic FM series like someone recommended
                    The replacement ESR is 5 mOhms higher then the old cap but everything else is the same

I'm working on the Evercon replacement, will update when i have a suitable replacement, in the mean time can some one link beginners guild to installing capacitors, I really dont want to install them in backwards or something noobish like that, thanks for all the help, i always appreciate the help

Edit: OK i found a pretty solid replacement for the Evercon cap:
                    http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...HV0KQEDQ%3d%3d
                    the ripple is 50mA higher on the new cap but everything else is identical I think this will work

Let my know if my choices are sound I think i will be buying these in a couple days
                    Last edited by kato1144; 08-10-2017, 08:55 PM.

Comment

ok i think i got this sorted out, for this cap, I'm going to get 2 diffrent one because of high issues I
                      m going to have with one that exceed all the requirement, the shorter one is 2mOhms higher ESR then the old cap, here they are: EEU-FM0J102 and the
                      EEU-FM1A102B , im going to get 20x of each just in case of mishaps and they probably will come in handy down the road.

as for the evercon replacement I'm going with my last choice as it fits all the requiremnetns including size: EEU-FM0J331 will be getting 10 maybe 20 if the price is not to much

So I realized all the info i needed to find out witch caps to get was already posted after posting last time so I did go back and find some better ESR rated caps, i just need to know will it be terrible to have a ESR of 2mOhms higher then the rated cap previously did, I tried to google this and came up with documents on ESR that were way beyond me, as far as i can tell ESR will go up on caps when they get old/used alot so a ESR of 2+ might not be out side of tolerance, but if this is a bad idea that why I'm also getting the 10v caps, well i will be putting them in were i can it just the PCI express and another PCI slot is right next to 2 of the caps so height is a concern.

anyway thanks everyone for all the help on finding replacements i very much appreciate it.

Wish me luck, hopefully I dont put them in backwards or something like that o~0

Comment

m going to have with one that exceed all the requirement, the shorter one is 2mOhms higher ESR then the old cap, here they are: EEU-FM0J102 and the
                        EEU-FM1A102B , im going to get 20x of each just in case of mishaps and they probably will come in handy down the road.
                        Good idea.
                        You really should replace every single 6.3V 820 uF KZG on the board, as they are all bound to fail sooner rather than later. I speak from experience here, as I've done a "lazy" recap on an ASUS motherboard before, and those 6.3V 820 uF KZG started bulging one after another within several months of each other.

as for the Evercon replacement I'm going with my last choice as it fits all the requiremnetns including size: EEU-FM0J331 will be getting 10 maybe 20 if the price is not to much
                        Panasonic FM should be more than better for replacing these Evercon caps. IIRC, most small black Evercon caps are general purpose, so you can replace them pretty much with anything. Besides, they are such garbage that you really can replace them with just about anything and still get better outcome.

i just need to know will it be terrible to have a ESR of 2mOhms higher then the rated cap previously did
                        It won't matter at all - not for that little.

Most electrolytic caps tend to have a 20% tolerance for their specs - that includes ESR. So as long as you are in the 20% ballpark of the specs of the original caps, you have nothing to worry about.

Another thing worth noting is that ASUS motherboards from that era typically tend to have only two buck regulator circuits: one for the CPU (the CPU VRM) and one for the RAM (Vdd/Vddq, 1.8V for DDR2 or 2.5V for DDR). Every other low-voltage regulated rail on these motherboards is almost always linearly-regulated from the RAM 1.8V/2.5V rail. And linearly-regulated rails pretty much don't care about the ESR of the caps at all - as long as it is not some crazy-high value. The caps between the PCI/PCI-E slots also tend to be general purpose filter for the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails, so again, the ESR is not too important.
                        In short, the replacements you chose should be more than fine

Wish me luck, hopefully I dont put them in backwards or something like that o~0
                        Double or tripple-check your work after the recap, and you shouldn't have problems.

Just remember: on ASUS motherboards, the white shaded semi-circle for each cap spot on the board indicates where the positive (+) lead of the cap should go. the NON-shaded semi-circle is where the negative (-) lead of the cap should go. In short, it is in reverse to the normal convention (i.e. shaded semi-circle indicating where to place the cap's negative lead).

Comment

I just had the caps i ordered came in just now (i only ordered 10x of each due to the fact shipping was a flat 20$ for some reason) I would also like to thank momaka for explaining how the ESR will affect this boards power delivery, also i had only thought the 20% tolerance was down to capacitance not also ESR, and i think you right with replacing all the 820 uF KGZ, there is 11 on the board in total (including the ones i pulled) so i have enough and I'm also going to do all the 320 uF Evercon caps too, there looks to only be 4 on the board lastly there is also so tall 16v 1000 uF caps on the board, they are in the same color and style of the KZG caps, they look good atm and they probably benefit from active cooling from the CPU cooler so they hopefully will stay good in the mean time, i will keep a eye on them in the mean time.

Again momaka thanks and once more thanks to everyone who has help thus far: Per Hansson, sofTest, Stefan Payne, Th3_uN1Qu3.

will post imgs of the working motherboard if i dont fry it lol

Comment

well i effed up, i could not get solder out of one of the holes, i had a stroke of dumbness and thought i would ream the hole out with a small drill bit, unfortunately i drilled the solder pad right out and ruined the mount, i tried to fill the hole with solder hoping it would take but no, after getting everything else in the system would not post, it would power up but not post and no beeps, i tested the CPU mem and vid card in a separate board just to make sure i did not damage them and they still work fortunately.

So this is the part were i say i wished i had a test board to work on first, also i wish i thought of using a sewing needled to pound out the clogged holes before i tried the drill bit

For those who are wondering i used a 1/16 '' drill bit the smallest one i have and only used my fingers to work it and that was still more then enough to drill out the pad
                            Last edited by kato1144; 08-16-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Yeah, soldering on motherboards is rather hard...

There are two useful options:
                              a) just use two soldering irons (temperature regulated of course!)
                              b) preheat the board for example with hot air...

I use my Xytronix LF852D for preheating (not desoldering) and then use the desoldering tool from my LF-8800...

Comment

well i effed up, i could not get solder out of one of the holes, i had a stroke of dumbness and thought i would ream the hole out with a small drill bit, unfortunately i drilled the solder pad right out and ruined the mount, i tried to fill the hole with solder hoping it would take but no, after getting everything else in the system would not post, it would power up but not post and no beeps, i tested the CPU mem and vid card in a separate board just to make sure i did not damage them and they still work fortunately.
                                Post some clear pictures of the damage, if you like. It may still be possible to revive the motherboard, depending on which cap via was damaged.

Comment

Working...
                                X