Vizio VP50 HDTV20A no picture no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio VP50 HDTV20A no picture no sound

Alright so I recently picked up this tv and found out it broken. I have no sound an no video. I have already tested all my voltage test points and have inspected for bad caps. I'm not sure what else could be wrong. Any ideas?

Comment

I have the same tv, it turns on, no sound or picture, nothing at all comes on. but there is a bad buffer ic. i haven't seen any burnt chips or bad capacitors anywhere on any of the boards. do you think the buffer IC would cause the tv to turn on but not show anything on screen and no sound?

Comment

Hi excuse me if I'm not following protocol, cause I'm not sure what it is. I have a 50" plasma tv from polaroid (PLA-5048) that is not working right. I heard a loud pop and the tv went out. I tried unplugging it and turning it back on, each time I would hear a hissing sound and then it would go off again; but still power to the indicator light. On the 3rd try the picture came on but it was very dark and hazy. I've been told (by internet search) that I need a new Y board and both buffer boards. This will run me $200 and there is no guaranty it will work. So I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and how did they fix it, or is there a way to test these boards and fix them. I have them apart and out of the tv, I can't see any burnt marks and the capacitors look ok. PS I also checked the fuses on the board and they were fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

What did the resistance value end up being on those resistors? And what is the value of the capacitor? I have the exact same situation, it would seem...

Comment

Is there no resolution? I just got this TV and it has sound but no picture and none of the caps is bulged or damaged in anyway. all the voltages seem correct and I am at a loss. I have three TV's and I can't bring any f them to life. This blows.

Comment

I know this post is very old, but I'm new to this website and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 50" Vizio Plasma TV that had no picture, sound, standby but had good voltages on the power supply. I went out on a limb and purchased a new main board.

Voila! Now I have standby lights (orange when the TV is off, green when the TV is on.) and the square main board located behind the main board I replaced now has four green LEDS. LED2001 is blinking rapidly btw. (the main board I replaced is the one with the inputs on it)

However, the problem now, is that although the TV clicks on as it should, there is no picture. As in, the screen is completely black as if the TV wasn't even on! I have read countless articles and watched what feels like hundreds of YouTube tech vids, but to no avail. If anyone can help me I promise I'll stay on standby for quick responses, upload any photos you need, any PCB numbers, information and etcetera. Thanks in advance!!

Important notes:
              *I received this TV broken, and received an extra power supply board. When I put in the first power supply board, it has a green blinking LED indicator, but the main board's LEDs don't light up. The second power supply board has no blinking LED, but the main board's LED do light up. (Weird?!)

*The new main board I bought has not been tested for sound yet.

*One of the pins on the new power board was bent. If all of the other pins fall into place on the LVDS cable, is it possible that one pin could prevent the whole screen from lighting up and displaying anything? Or is it likely I just have another board to replace?

Comment

I know this post is very old, but I'm new to this website and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 50" Vizio Plasma TV that had no picture, sound, standby but had good voltages on the power supply. I went out on a limb and purchased a new main board.

Voila! Now I have standby lights (orange when the TV is off, green when the TV is on.) and the square main board located behind the main board I replaced now has four green LEDS. LED2001 is blinking rapidly btw. (the main board I replaced is the one with the inputs on it)

However, the problem now, is that although the TV clicks on as it should, there is no picture. As in, the screen is completely black as if the TV wasn't even on! I have read countless articles and watched what feels like hundreds of YouTube tech vids, but to no avail. If anyone can help me I promise I'll stay on standby for quick responses, upload any photos you need, any PCB numbers, information and etcetera. Thanks in advance!!

Important notes:
                *I received this TV broken, and received an extra power supply board. When I put in the first power supply board, it has a green blinking LED indicator, but the main board's LEDs don't light up. The second power supply board has no blinking LED, but the main board's LED do light up. (Weird?!)

*The new main board I bought has not been tested for sound yet.

*One of the pins on the new power board was bent. If all of the other pins fall into place on the LVDS cable, is it possible that one pin could prevent the whole screen from lighting up and displaying anything? Or is it likely I just have another board to replace?

Comment

Are you getting the VS and VA voltages? With the 'click' from the PSU this could be a sign that it is OK. Your problem may be from the Y-SUS Bd on the left looking at the back of the TV.

Comment

How do I check for the VS and VA voltages? Do I check them from the power supply or the Y Sustain board?

Comment

VS and VA voltages are derived from the PSU.

Comment

Check the 3 fuses on the main board marked in red.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Did you check those fuses for continuity as suggested??

Comment

VS and VA both look good. @Andrew

How do I check the tiny fuses for resistance? The same as I would with a ceramic fuse, for instance?

Furthermore, do I measure the resistance from the bottom of the board, or do I just place my probes on either end of the fuse from the top of the board? @TvTimmy

Comment

Also, the TV should be off when I check the fuses. Right?

Comment

Here's a detailed list of the values I got when checking the Va, Vs as well as all three fuses on the main board that Timmy suggested. It's better if you determine what's good and what's bad.

Measured from the main power supply board, while TV was plugged in and ON.
                                Va - DC 86.4mV
                                Vs - DC 208mV

@Timmy, here are the values for the fuses from left to right according to the photo you included above.

Measured while the TV was plugged in and ON
                                86.7 (Multimeter wouldn't beep when I checked this one for resistance)
                                0.00 (Multimeter beeped the whole time I had the probes on this fuse)
                                0.00 (Multimeter beeped the whole time I had the probes on this fuse)

I measured the three fuses from the top of the board and at first, I kept getting weird values from each of them, such as random numbers every time I put the probes on the fuses, and the value would slowly go down consistently.

I figured I was just holding the multimeter probes at an awkward angle, so I adjusted my position and then continued to get the values above on every try.

Comment

So... I have been working on this TV for about three weeks. I've spent many tiring hours on it, hoping for even the slightest bit of progress. It's been a journey. When I bought the main board that I mentioned in my initial response, I said I got a standby light. Well.... and I hate to admit this... but.... you know the lvds(?) cable that goes into the main board? I had it backward this whole time. The TV came alive just now and seems to be working perfectly. Thanks for you help everyone. Main board fixed it.

Comment

Can you see any fuses on the Y-SUS Bd? It would be a ceramic fuse on the top part or the board.

Comment

My TV is fixed. Read my above response.
                                      Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the update.
                                        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

GREAT!!! Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                                          X