Fan disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan disassembly

I want to take apart a laptop cooling fan to find out why it stopped working. Is this possible? It looks like the fan blade assembly and shaft can be removed if I remove the plastic ring that is pressed onto the end of the shaft, but I can't figure out how to remove that ring.

Re: Fan disassembly

I finally got it apart.

This is a Sunon GB0555AFB1-8, which is supposed to be a dual ball bearing fan, but it actually has one ball bearing and a sleeve bearing without any lubricant. They did the same thing (or worse - only a sleeve bearing) to the "dual ball bearing" KD1205PHB1 fan in my parts collection. I removed its label and saw a sleeve bearing with no lubricant. That is even worse because that fan spins at 5800 RPM. I can hear that its bearings are dry.

I want to get the circuit board out of this fan without destroying it. It looks like the board and coil are pressed into the housing.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Fan disassembly

I think that the control circuit in this fan is dead. The coil is not receiving a signal of any kind. It is connected to a 6-pin chip marked N024, located under the black insulation next to the bearing in picture 2 above.

How does this motor work with only one coil?

Comment

Working...
      X