Processor heatsink fell off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processor heatsink fell off...

It's an NVIDIA Zalman heatsink+fan assembly.

It came mounted on the motherboard I got from my brother.

It looks like the metal clips just broke. I've looked it up and it has happened to a few other people before me too. The heatsink is really heavy and rests on just some small metal clips.

Luckily I didn't power it on, I noticed before...

So... is it fixable? I have a heatsink+fan assy from a broken Gigabyte motherboard, but I'm not sure if it will fix.
    Attached Files
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Processor heatsink fell off...

Why don't you just try another heatsink? Salvage a x-clamp from another mobo...
    P.S. I would kill for a sweet PNY 8800 like that one Is it single slot?
    Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

Originally posted by Koda View Post
      Why don't you just try another heatsink? Salvage a x-clamp from another mobo...
      P.S. I would kill for a sweet PNY 8800 like that one Is it single slot?
      It's 9800 GT actually . Single PCI-E x16... another freebie from the brother who gives me all his old (~2-3 years) computer hardware.

I will see what I can do about using the Gigabyte heatsink. I don't think a particularly powerful heatsink is needed to keep an AMD Athlon FX64 cool.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

That can't be 939 it's an AM2 or 754 system... Just get a newer retention bracket that's made out of better plastic...
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          That can't be 939 it's an AM2 or 754 system... Just get a newer retention bracket that's made out of better plastic...
          Abit KN9 Ultra motherboard, does that help? Processor has AMD Athlon FX64 engraved on it. It's dual core 2.8 GHz and will overclock to 2.9GHz before crashing... I know very little about computers (I just know it's a very fast processor for me), engineering is more my thing... The motherboard is full of Rubycons.

Comment

Hmm, looking at this heatsink+fan as a replacement (is it a stock heatsink/fan?) I am using the processor to rated specifications (2.8 GHz, default BIOS...), as noise is not a concern (it has 6 fans + CPU fan!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-AMD-CP...item46014e3322

The metal clip is completely broken, I don't think I can use that old Zalman thing, but it seems like overkill anyway.

Comment

Yes that looks like a stock AMD cooler. Will do the job but keep it clean.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Oh, I thought the retention bracket's clip broke...
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  Oh, I thought the retention bracket's clip broke...
                  The metal part for clamping the heatsink to the processor is what broke. Sheared right in half. The motherboard is okay...

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                    It's dual core 2.8 GHz and will overclock to 2.9GHz before crashing... I know very little about computers (I just know it's a very fast processor for me)
                    I would check the DRAM clock and maybe lower it to get past 2.9.

You should be able to get at least a + 200 Mhz OC.

Failing with a + 200 Mhz OC, which is tiny for today's standards, reminds me of my T-Bird 900, where it will crash at 1050, with "STOP:0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
                    (But that was with the dreaded Deer DR-250ATX)
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      I would check the DRAM clock and maybe lower it to get past 2.9.

You should be able to get at least a + 200 Mhz OC.

Failing with a + 200 Mhz OC, which is tiny for today's standards, reminds me of my T-Bird 900, where it will crash at 1050, with "STOP:0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
                      (But that was with the dreaded Deer DR-250ATX)
                      Heh, I have no need to overclock it. It is already extremely fast for me and should suit me for years to come. I have a similar processor in my media PC, but it is the single core variant (friend's old PC.) It is underclocked to 2 GHz to keep fan speed low and temperature low, and it still performs extremely well... I was able to drop the clock to around 1 GHz before it couldn't play 1080p...

Comment

Processor has AMD Athlon FX64 engraved on it. It's dual core 2.8 GHz and will overclock to 2.9GHz before crashing...
                        I think that would be an Athlon 64 FX-62, not FX64. Double check. If yes, those are rated for 125W TDP - so no, that heat sink is not overkill at all.

The metal part for clamping the heatsink to the processor is what broke. Sheared right in half. The motherboard is okay...
                        Doesn't sound like something that zip ties or thick steel wire won't fix . I've done it with many other heat sinks. Works better than the original most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          I think that would be an Athlon 64 FX-62, not FX64. Double check. If yes, those are rated for 125W TDP - so no, that heat sink is not overkill at all.
                          Yep... you're correct. Would I really use 125W with both cores maxed?

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Doesn't sound like something that zip ties or thick steel wire won't fix . I've done it with many other heat sinks. Works better than the original most of the time.
                          I wish I could, but there aren't many holes around the motherboard which would support such an arrangement.

Comment

I wouldn't use that fleabay stock heat sink with a 125W CPU. I'd go with a coolermaster hyper TX3. They are cheap, but surprisingly quiet and effective.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              I wouldn't use that fleabay stock heat sink with a 125W CPU. I'd go with a coolermaster hyper TX3. They are cheap, but surprisingly quiet and effective.
                              I found someone selling it for £4, so I'm going to give it a shot. In the worst case I will wait before I start using this PC to play games. I just finished Crysis for the third time before the heatsink fell off. I will see how well it performs. If it gets too hot, I will upgrade it. The media PC (with single core variant) uses a stock cooler and it runs at less than 40°C most times.

I really, really wished that manufacturers of processor heatsinks would specify a thermal resistance of their heatsink. However, this would allow proper comparison and then it would no longer be based on looks! A good processor heatsink (IMO) would have a thermal resistance of below 0.3°C/W C-A (case to ambient, with 90% rated speed fan cooling.) Add in thermal paste of 0.1°C/W and this allows 125W dissipation at 40°C ambient, reaching a maximum die temperature of 90°C.
                              Last edited by tom66; 05-09-2012, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Would I really use 125W with both cores maxed?
                                Yes, maybe even a bit over. TDP is like a high-average for what your processor will use. At idle, it will be well below the TDP and at 100% load, it can peak above it.

Comment

Okay, so the heatsink/fan assembly arrived today. It looks like it has a thermal interface material fitted to it already. I do have thermal paste if I need it, but do I need it if it's got this already?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

strip that away you need fresh stuff always.

So I will avoid that brand heat sink lol.

Comment

That's the typical thermal adhesive that ships with all AMD stock heatsinks. It's pretty good (and also a PITA to remove). Snap it on and that's all, no paste needed.
                                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Wouldn't he need to move the gell on his processor before applying the fan with the thermal adhesive
                                        Last edited by Amraks; 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

Working...
                                        X