X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The ghetto mod thread

my hacked rig!
    a quantum bigfoot in the cd bay and a WesternDigital in the floppy bay.

you need power for all these drives now don't you?

and a way to cool them, but i don't want it too loud so under that elect tape is a resistor.

and a way to tell who is doing the work, the onboard SATA(red) or the IDE RAID card(blue) or both. (purple)

oh and heres my overclocked router.
    Attached Files
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Whats a thing about quantum Bigfoot? why do you still have it in your system? is it 2 gb version or something?

Comment

Originally posted by domas View Post
        Whats a thing about quantum Bigfoot? why do you still have it in your system? is it 2 gb version or something?
        nope! its the 20gb version and it was used for beta testing windows OSes. now it just runs linux.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I think 4 or 6GB is as high a capacity as I've personally seen a Bigfoot drive. FWIW, I'd love to see what kind of capacities we could get in a 5.25" HDD these days.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            I think 4 or 6GB is as high a capacity as I've personally seen a Bigfoot drive. FWIW, I'd love to see what kind of capacities we could get in a 5.25" HDD these days.
            i think this line was only distributed in the US and somewhere else, not sure where

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

there is an article on wikipedia about capacities of bigfoot drives

seems like 20gb was the largest

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                ... my overclocked router ...
                How do you OC a router?

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                  How do you OC a router?
                  Custom firmware, dd-wrt possibly?

Comment

The hub is some ladies cosmetic shit cap.

Comment

Done a lot myself I will bring pics on my next one.

Comment

Regarding the part about running the fans lower with a resistor - that's usually a rather bad idea. Even a 2w resistor gets hot enough to burn when used inline for fan speed reducers. The better method is to just either use the +5v on a molex or use the +5v as the fan ground for a 7v throughput without adding extra heat to the case or risking melted electrical tape.

Originally posted by 3d0 View Post
                        Custom firmware, dd-wrt possibly?
                        Sounds about right, either that or Tomato. I know one of my WRT54g's can be pushed from 200mhz to 300mhz without issues. The only real benefit is gained when pushing transfer speeds as the CPU can be a bottleneck. In my case I have a WRT54G-TM pushed to 250mhz right now with minimal heatsinking as I also use it for a webserver with PHP so it's more for the script execution time than anything.

edit: I just realized this was a necro'd thread... *exits stage left*
                        Last edited by chozo4; 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM.
                        Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

Originally posted by chozo4 View Post
                          Regarding the part about running the fans lower with a resistor - that's usually a rather bad idea. Even a 2w resistor gets hot enough to burn when used inline for fan speed reducers.
                          Depends on the resistance value and how much current the fan uses. A low-end 0.15A fan (or lower) will not make the resistor too hot.

That said, most of the time I do prefer the 7V trick (or 8.7V), since I don't have to look for any resistors. The only time this can become irritating is if you do it on fans with RPM monitoring (such as the CPU fan) - then they will simply show 0 RPM or not read out right.

Originally posted by chozo4 View Post
                          edit: I just realized this was a necro'd thread... *exits stage left*
                          It's cool .

I revive it all the time at various points throughout the year. I actually completed quite a few ghetto mods recently. Just haven't gotten to take pics and to post them (and I have a ton of other older ghetto mods I've been meaning to post as well).

So if you have anything, don't hesitate to post it.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            Depends on the resistance value and how much current the fan uses. A low-end 0.15A fan (or lower) will not make the resistor too hot.

That said, most of the time I do prefer the 7V trick (or 8.7V), since I don't have to look for any resistors. The only time this can become irritating is if you do it on fans with RPM monitoring (such as the CPU fan) - then they will simply show 0 RPM or not read out right.
                            i have been burned by the 7v trick. the motor went shorted and dumped 12v into the 5v line. as for the current fan, it is rated at .80amps so it gets warm enough to make the elect tape go hard on the resistor.
                            Last edited by goontron; 08-17-2014, 10:28 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

tape is crap - use heatshrink sleeve - preferably over glass-fibre

Comment

^
                                This is the ghetto mod thread. We don't encourage proper repairs here

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

good point,
                                  chewing gum, or just pour some candle wax over it.

Comment

Okay, now that this thread is revived (blame HARDINGBOY and chozo4 for that ), I'm going to post some of my ghetto mods again.

Ever since I posted that SB heatsink mod, I aquired another motherboard from eBay - an MSI MS-7184. Given that it has a similar SB to the MS-7191 (SB400 vs. SB450), I figured I better make another SB heatsink. This time, a little more elaborate though.

Okay, the soldering didn't come out very pretty. But that's because I kept adding solder in an attempt to cover the entire surface with solder. However, I found that this is not the right method to do that. Instead, it is better to melt a small piece of solder and continually scrub it on the surface of the hot heatspreader base (I was heating the heatspreader on the kitchen's stove) and add flux as needed. But in the end, it still worked.

The base is composed of a PS3 CPU copper heatspreader while the fins are pieces of 1/2" and 3/4" (IIRC) plumbing copper pipes cut in half. This is actually what it looked like before I assembled it:
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1408507988

I haven't mounted it on anything yet, though. Not enough cases at the moment to house all of my working motherboards.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by momaka; 08-19-2014, 10:16 PM.

Comment

That would probably work pretty well actually. Personally, I have so many chipset heatsinks I've pulled from dead boards that I haven't seen the need to make my own.

Comment

Here's the G.A.F. (Ghetto as F*** - or should that be 'crusty'?) ... thing ... I just put together.
                                        Pretty much all I had lying around that was suitable.

The light socket was reclaimed from a pretty ancient fluorescent tube fitting - back when they still used bayonet-cap connectors! (1950s or so, it would appear)

10 points for whoever can guess what it is (shouldn't be too hard...!)
                                        Attached Files
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

current inrush limiter

Comment

Working...
                                          X