Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNR TS902W - Slow on / intermittent black out (Recap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNR TS902W - Slow on / intermittent black out (Recap)

Starting off nice and easy with this one. A colleague at work is complaining that his secondary monitor is temperamental - taking a long time to power on and randomly blacking out.

Having recently joined this site I thought I'd take it home and have a look. Once apart I could see one bulging CapXon capacitor on the power board. I've also invested in the Atlas ESR70 meter which came in really handy.

This cap was 1000uf 16v - the meter showed less than half capacitance left and a high esr value as well. I also replaced the one next to it (470uf 50v) as well because it was also on the low side for capacitance. I replaced these two with Panasonic caps.

Monitor works like a treat and my colleague is mega happy. Thanks for the great posts on this site - I am learning all the time.
    Attached Files
    Fixed so far: GNR TS902W monitor, Sony Game Gear, Philips FCD565, Arcam Alpha 10, Memorex SA 404amp

Re: GNR TS902W - Slow on / intermittent black out (Recap)

Welcome to the Forums,

Great start and thanks for joining to let us know the symptoms and the cure.

You need to get hold of a few more to get some use out of that Atlas now
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Originally posted by quattro alex View Post
      I also replaced the one next to it (470uf 50v) as well because it was also on the low side for capacitance. I replaced these two with Panasonic caps.
      Regulars here will recommend that you replace all the Capxon caps because they are terrible quality. Not counting the large one, you have 3 Capxon caps left to replace. 3 replacement Panasonic caps would probably cost another $1.50 and give you peace of mind for the useful life of the monitor.

PS. Those are excellent clear pictures.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Forgot to also mention that some members like to see a pic of your multimeter in shot every now and again. Just for reference.
        Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
        Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am looking to get a lot of use out of the Atlas esr meter.

I will take on board your advice regarding Capxon caps - better to be safe than sorry.

I myself like the posts on here with really clear photo's where you can see the fine details. These were taken with a Canon 60mm macro lens and a tripod.

Thanks again
          Fixed so far: GNR TS902W monitor, Sony Game Gear, Philips FCD565, Arcam Alpha 10, Memorex SA 404amp

Comment

Hi
            I have GNR TS902W monitor but am stumped as to how to remove the back, there are no visible screws and I'm not sure wher to insert a blade to lever it off any suggestions.
            My monitor was intermitently going off with the clicking sound in the background now won't even turn on, no power LED

Comment

Update to above post screen cracked whilst trying to get case apart so off to the tip tomorrow, no further help required ;(

Comment

Working...
              X