Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer AL2416W Works, then fades to white then black...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2416W Works, then fades to white then black...

Glad its working again for your Steve....

Doesn't matter how its fixed as long as it stays that way
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

I registered on this forum because my 24 inch Acer AL2416W LCD monitor has the EXACT same issue that Steve's had. I don't need to make a video of the symptoms because, aside from the room he was recording in, the video would be exactly the same as Steve's YouTube clip.

It works for a few minutes (used to last longer) before fading to white, then on power up it shows Acer for a moment and then melts/blooms to white and then to black. Afterward, I am not able to power the monitor on at all for several hours.

If I understand this thread correctly, removing the T-CON board and reassembling the monitor resolved the issue. Is this correct?

I guess I'll get to work disassembling everything and cleaning it with alcohol. I'll report back if this resolves the issue.

Steve, does your monitor still work?
      Last edited by Mechageo; 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

It does look like it - perhaps first try disconnecting cleaning and reseating all the connectors to the Tcon and if its screwed to the frame make sure its a good ground contact.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hello,

Yes it's still working well.... I could not say for sure what was wrong, but I dismantled it completely, and rebuilt it - and it has worked ever since.

Good luck to you!

Steve

Comment

Just as a side note before I get my hands on my monitor, I found this video showing how it behaves when it begins to malfunction while in use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RhqF64FlNdo

Comment

This is exactly how mine started... first it was once every month or so - power off, and it would be fine, but it got worse & worse until it was on power-up.

To reiterate, I did not replace or repair any parts - all I did was *completely* dismantle it, and re-assemble.

To that end, I believe it must have been as simple as a loose connector.

Fingers crossed for you.

Steve

Comment

Well, here's my status report.

Yesterday evening, when I was finally able to begin work on the monitor, I skipped right to the chase.

I disassembled the thing only as much as was needed to get to the T-CON board.

Here it is:

I left all of the other components untouched unless I needed to unplug something to remove the screen assembly and access the T-CON board.

All other components stayed mounted like shown (note, this picture was taken during testing. I didn't work on the machine at all while it was plugged in):

Can you guess what my result was?
                After removing the T-CON and reassembling everything to the point of the image above, the monitor turned on, displayed the full Acer logo and functioned happily with my wife's laptop for nine hours straight. I turned it off and unplugged it when I left for work because I didn't want it powered on with no backplate while I wasn't there to supervise it.

Seeing as it used to only last a few minutes before it did the weird fade to white, I'm guessing it's fixed.

I'll let you know for sure in a week or so.

I'm betting a connection to the T-CON was loose because the issue initially started happening after I took it to a LAN party in the trunk of my car. I bet it whacked something.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Mechageo; 06-27-2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Well, it's still working.

Thanks for your initial efforts regarding this issue, Steve. It saved me a lot of time and I appreciate it.

Comment

Hi, my first post.

re: Acer AL2416W

I'd like to ask what would be the best way to remedy this issue? I also have this problem on this screen. One would presume; take the back off and unplug all connectors, clean with alcohol and replace?

Thanks kindly for any response.

Comment

probably a good as place as any to start.

Comment

Cheers. I'll look at this today, will post back some info's asap. Thanks again.

Comment

Quick update while i re-assemble...

With just the cover and the internal metal cover off, i disconnected what plugs inside i could, cleaned, wiggled and re-connected, powered up and no change.

Then i took the plastic frame off the front, i could access another ribbon inside (connected to the screen?) I disconnected this, cleaned it, re-applied extra duct tape and powered up, this time I saw no issues. I also put some tape to give extra hold to the ribbon connecting the VGA circuit board, this was another ribbon I again disconnected, (pulled the plastic ribbon holder up this time)
                          My guess is, its one of these 2 ribbons at fault?

I will reassemble now, fingers crossed.

Cheers

Comment

OK I managed this and remounted on the wall....... IT WORKS !!

I'd like to thank you guys in this forum for your help, the youtube video link here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RhqF64FlNdo

was exactly the same problem i had, seemed to get worse the more it warmed up.

I've photo's similar to Mechageo's on my moby, i will post asap, they may help someone.

THANKS Mechageo for your cry for help and thanks ALL in this forum for helping above.

TYVM guys I have my 2nd screen back

Comment

Just updating, this screen is still working great, been on all day with a GFX intensive program running on it, no issues at all. Very pleased !! ty

Hope others will benefit too

Comment

Working...
                              X