Cap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap question

Whats the lowest uf rating you would change. I read some where that its 1000uf and up, and stay away from the tiny 1's around the BIOS????
    Thanks

I've seen 680uF caps go on RARE occasions. As a rule of thumb when recapping, everything 1000uF and up needs to be changed out. 470uF and lower don't seem to be affected. If the 470's - 680's are known crappy brands, I replace them anyway, just to be on the safe side. However, they're not likely to fail.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Re: Cap question

What next, they're going to model a shoe after O.J. Simpson? Spambot.

Also I think your opinion might have changed on changing 470uF and 680uF caps since 2004.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

If I recap a motherboard, I replace everything above 100uF, IF they are known crap caps.

Power supplies, I replace all electrolytics regardless of size.
        Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Well, I've got a bulging 47uF in my ADSL router right now.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Yea, I recap even those little ones as long as they're not polymer SMDs. I love LCDs that have the logic boards with those little SMDs, because then all I have to worry about is the PSU. The little caps are hell to to replace on multilayered PCBs.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
            X