KOGAN KALEWD39SMTWA Can't get back cover off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KOGAN KALEWD39SMTWA Can't get back cover off

I've taken out every screw I can see. I've put a chisel blade in between the back cover and frame bezel thinking that maybe there are locking tabs in there. I can get some flex from the back cover along the bottom edge; that seems to be free. But the sides appear VERY firmly attached still. I'm adopting the approach of "if it doesn't seem to be able to come easily then there's probably a good reason why it is stuck. Force it and you'll break it."
    These are cheap Chinese re-badged TVs. Probably similar to others that people on the forum have come up against. Does anyone know of the secret to crack the back cover off?

Re: KOGAN KALEWD39SMTWA Can't get back cover off

I've had several of the mag lcds that you have to lift the bottom of the front bezel about 1/8" then slide the whole front bezel up about 1/4" to unlock. They have locking fingers up both sides. Maybe your Kogan is built the same way?
    Last edited by Caleb; 03-29-2014, 11:07 PM.
    Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

No, there was no magic secret in the end, just brute force. The cover has tabs that lock into the metal frame of the chassis. It needs a screwdriver under the cover to lever off the cover from the chassis frame. You think that you might be going to crack the cover but it does 'pop' off the locking tabs. Work your way around it.
      It looks very much like it's designed for assemble once and never expect to repair.
      I have a fault where sometimes it won't come out of stand-by mode, and sometimes with a few "on-Off-On" cycles it will. If disconnected from the mains it will start up OK. Sometimes will came out of standby with sound but no video. I'm assuming a mainboard problem. Anyone want to offer some advice?? These are very cheap and nasty TVs. Hardly worth worrying about but prehaps someone can offer a solution?

Comment

I think you got the idea ,cheap and nasty so expect cheap and nasty caps.

Comment

Yeah, it has CapXon electros which I see are listed on this website as dodgy. Before I put the back cover on again I'll take the opportunity to recap the power supply. Then this can become a shed TV. Terrible colour rendering. I wouldn't sell it to anyone! The owners bought a Toshiba Regiza 42" that I repaired and they were blown away by the quality of the picture compared to what they'd been watching.

Comment

Working...
          X