Gotta love OST c(r)aps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta love OST c(r)aps

Had a machine with an ECS board in today, bloated 6.3v 3300uF OST cap on the 5vsb. The mobo is full of OSTs but luckily this was the only bad one, and it's a Sempron board so it doesn't see much abuse. PSU was a Premier full of crap caps too, but everything looked okay and 5vsb was in spec, so i just slapped a Rubycon on the mobo and she fired right up. Likely what happened was that the owner left a phone or mp3 to charge off USB, and the lackluster filtering of the PSU itself left the OST crap eat all the ripple, so the cap proceeded to cook itself.

In fact the complaint was of something else - the system wouldn't power up, front panel unresponsive. However, when the top of the case was pressed it would work. The issue was quickly found - the DVD drive was very long and pressing on the motherboard, shorting it out to the case. So i just moved it to the uppermost slot.

The "unresponsive front panel" was actually a bad power switch, i wired the reset switch for power. Now he can pretend he has a brand name PC.

Coming back to our bloated OST, i tried to blow it up by reversing it at 5v. No go, it didn't even heat up. Same thing at 12v. POS went so bad it won't even blow up. Now ain't that sad.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Gotta love OST c(r)aps

It was probably open.

In any case, though, you're lucky it bloated, since OST (Only Some Trash) rarely bloat when they fail.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

It wasn't *that* open - finally managed to pop it using a 40v supply. Didn't do anything spectacular tho - it just went pffffff.
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Best caps to explode are Sacon FZ. The vents aren't cut very deep in them, so when they fail, they always go
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Don't have any Sacon, but i do have some oldschool GSC (Global S*** Corporation) with no vents. But it's the middle of the night here and those WILL make some noise so i won't pop them now. They should make great New Year's firecrackers.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            Best caps to explode are Sacon FZ. The vents aren't cut very deep in them, so when they fail, they always go
            they spew chunks too... they are the most caps I have ever seen.

I have a couple ones not bloated... but im not bombing it... my test bench is a big enough mess as it is.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              The "unresponsive front panel" was actually a bad power switch, i wired the reset switch for power. Now he can pretend he has a brand name PC.
              Yeah what is up with that? Do they think their product is so stable it doesn't even need a reset button? Weird...
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

No, but they save $.02 by not including it.

Comment

Working...
                X