Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W240HUMB-OD, Power related problem * 5VALW Not present*

Hi there
    I am trying to fix this Proline laptop motherboard (W240HUMB-OD). the laptop is completely off, when check using my meter I can see 3.3V is Present at PL 10 but 5V is not present at PL9. I don't know what components exactly I need to check and how. Can you please help.
    Attached Files

Re: W240HUMB-OD, Power related problem * 5VALW Not present*

You can check the resistance to ground of the PL9 for any short.
    If no short found is can allways be the PU11

Comment

As far I know, SMPS for 5V is appear after you pressing power button.

Open it the pdf with PDF X-Change Viewer, its more easy to tracing the net voltage and signal on schematic, since clevo schematic sometimes very weird, I mean to many space on text on pdf.

5V voltage doesn't present because the sircuit on VDD3 and VDD5 block diagram "playing the Entrip signal" with made PQ14 always ON state after plug in adapter.

Make sure the output SMPS of VDD5 have no shorted. You could open PJ10 temporary just for testing output SMPS of VDD5 when you give trigger with shorting PJ11. (like: DD_ON signal become High after pressing power button, then DD_ON En VDD be Low as trigger)

While you do that what i mentioned above, monitoring PU7, ITE chip if you see current drawn on your PSU drawn more higher ( I assume you have PSU), then cut off the supply from your PSU as soon as possible.
      Last edited by meritosari; 04-25-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meritosari View Post
        5V voltage doesn't present because the sircuit on VDD3 and VDD5 block diagram "playing the Entrip signal" with made PQ14 always ON state after plug in adapter.
        How its work likely similar with design from Inventec in example Perugia 10, with playing the entrip signal

Comment

Hi. Thank you very much for your time and response. While trying to fix this motherboard, I removed uP6182 from the board because it was over heating then I tried to clean the board with alchool, one of the big IC fried (smoked) because I forgot to unplug the board from the charger.I know it's a huge mistake...I'm not sure I will have be able to fix it

Comment

you still have hopes, what IC is it?
            never plug in when you have removed a controller, mosfet usually burn without a controller to guide them

Comment

Hi there.
              Thanks for your response. The IC that is burnt is U36. With the multimeter on diode mode (continuity) with PL9 removed on one side I have 380ohm (the side that is connected to the rest of the circuit) and Nothing on the side that is connected to PU11. What else can I test? Should I first replace U36?

Comment

The U36 is a combo LAN/card reader controller.
                You can safelly removed for now and don't bother to put a new one if you don't use your LAN or SD reader.
                Well the 380ohm are somewhat low for the 5V rail.
                Do remove U36 and take a new measure at PL9

Comment

Hi Rookiem. thank you very much for your help. I am going to remove the the U36 immediately and take the new measurement

Comment

I will keep you posted

Comment

Hi I just removed U36. I was checking the board, I see that even u23 also burnt. do you thing I still have some hope?
                      I just removed it but there is still a short circuit

Comment

You can locate the short by injecting 5V at the shorted power rail so you can find what component is heating up.
                        The issue is that the u23 is your keyboard controller IT8518E that is programmable, so you need a programmer for the new one and the file [EC dump] for this board so you can program it.
                        From this point I'm not sure if there is any hope if you can't find the required dump and a programmer.

Comment

Hi. Thanks for your response. I will just put it asude and deal with another biard.

Comment

*aside

Comment

thank you for this thread it helps me found a short on 5v Rail -PL9 short to ground i hang it and found PQ12 and PQ13 short.

thanks again and more power to BADCAPS forum

from philippines

Comment

thanx

Comment

Working...
                                X