LiteOn PS-5301-08HA Blown Ltec cap & won't hold good voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LiteOn PS-5301-08HA Blown Ltec cap & won't hold good voltage

AHHHH FUCK YOU LITEON YOU LITTLE SHITS YOU HID A CAP FROM ME!!

Little fucker hiding behind the wires. Gonna replace it with a Sanyo and see what happens.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded
    Popcorn.

Comment

Well, I went full out and just recapped mostly all of the Ltec caps, Found one hidden under the wires that was bloated, when warmed up it tested ridiculously high in capacitance, and when cooled it sucked.

Here's before and after comparison:

Before:

After:

Caps used: Sanyo WG 10v 820uF (replaced 10v 560uF) and 6.3v 3300uF (replaced 2200uF 6.3V) oversized ALL caps that were replaced

nlc: 25v 560uF HRSZ series

Nichicon: PR 25v 330uF (by the white and black wires in the pic)

There are still a few Ltec caps left, none too big though.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-04-2017, 11:43 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded
      Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
        Well, I went full out and just recapped mostly all of the Ltec caps, Found one hidden under the wires that was bloated, when warmed up it tested ridiculously high in capacitance, and when cooled it sucked.
        How high is ridiculously high? Are you saying that it tested low for capacitance when cooled down? It probably has very high leakage current, indicative of a weak spot in the dielectric or a non-existent dielectric. Depending on what output that LTEC was filtering, replacing it may or may not fix the issues you were having with voltage regulation.

Nichicon: PR 25v 330uF (by the white and black wires in the pic)
        Is that really old stock? There's also a risk the PR series could fail depending upon how old it is as that's another quaternary-salt series.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
          How high is ridiculously high? Are you saying that it tested low for capacitance when cooled down? It probably has very high leakage current, indicative of a weak spot in the dielectric or a non-existent dielectric. Depending on what output that LTEC was filtering, replacing it may or may not fix the issues you were having with voltage regulation.

Is that really old stock? There's also a risk the PR series could fail depending upon how old it is as that's another quaternary-salt series.
          Definitely helped with voltage. Holds around mid 11.6 and higher. Still not 12 but I'll see what else I can do. It was filtering the 5v rail, the thing is the what seems to be the temperature fan controller or driver board, or both seem to be driven by the rail with the failed cap. Tue failed cap was rated 560uF, however once heated it read 2000, cooled it just was random, as low as 300 and up around 1000, very unstable and it was bulging.
          Last edited by jazzie366; 04-03-2017, 02:09 AM. Reason: Too tired to brain
          Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            By the way, jazzie366, can you *please* use the forum image attachment tool to upload your pictures. Off-site hosting make the page load times terrible.
            I can't figure out how to use the on site image attachments, it only gives me the option to use a link.
            I attached your photos.
            It's actually not rocket science:
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19629
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i've seen some members add a trim pot to their psu to further tweak the voltage regulation. can that be done for the OP's psu, i wonder?

Comment

I can't figure out how to use the on site image attachments, it only gives me the option to use a link.
                When replying or posting, click on either "Post Reply" on the bottom of the web page, or click on "Quote" to the right of the post you are quoting. This will bring you to a new page. If you scroll down a bit below the text prompt, you will notice there is a button called "Manage Attachments" under the section "Additional Options". Click that buttom, and a windows should popup to allow you to upload pictures from your computer. The rest should be self-explanatory (but if not, feel free to ask ).

Comment

Voltage drops are usually caused by capacitors with very high ESR and low capacitance. Then, when there is a fluctuation in the voltage, the capacitors are unable to handle and filter it, and on the other hand they act as resistors with their very high ESR, which is also bad and brings the power supply on it's knees.
                  Usually the problematic capacitors are the filter ones on the secondary side of the power supply.
                  You will most likely never find a PSU that has exactly 12V voltage with no load. There is compensation. When you load more the PSU, the switching PSU compensates, trying to keep the voltage in the defined thresholds. If the PSU has 12V under load, then depends of the schematic, it may jump to 12.6 with no load, which is not good. For example, I've read that some Chinese PSU-s rely on a differential between the 5V and 12V line.
                  Yesterday I've repaired PSU with the same problem - wayy too low voltages under load. Then I made it to hold 11.4V under full system load. It was Chinese PowerKing.
                  Last edited by televizora; 04-09-2017, 02:30 AM.
                  Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                  1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Working...
                  X