TV SMD Cap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV SMD Cap question

So I had a friend bring in a 55" Westinghouse TV(Model: DWM55F1G1) with no picture but it had blacklight and audio. I first checked out the T-Conn board, which everything appeared ok, so after I tried doing the half display test. I plugged in one side to the tconn board and sure enough, one side would display output. I plugged in the other side and nothing.

I checked the board that was soldered to the display panel and found a short in a line and two bad caps(One was shorted, but the other had some black dots on it. I removed them both and the short was gone, and both sides would display image with no tears or artifacts, stress tested under HD videos for 3-hours.

I can't find any schematics on this model, and the unit seems to work ok without the SMD caps. Would it be safe to leave them off?

I thought about pulling the caps from the other side of the other board(I don't know the name) to check the capacitance value, but I have no experience ordering SMD ceramic caps or finding their voltage value without schematics.

I've attached two images of the caps desoldered: CA23 and CA33
    Attached Files

Re: TV SMD Cap question

Actually, after watching it for a bit, I did notice that the blacklight may be off at the 1/3 and 2/3 position of the screen(horizontally and vertically). It's not noticeable unless viewed at an angle greater than about 45 degrees. From a direct view, it looks completely normal. I'm not sure if it had always been like this or if the missing caps is causing it.

Comment

Re: TV SMD Cap question

Nevermind, disregard the last post. I have confirmed with the owner that the backlight has always been like that. Guess I will just leave off the caps since it works fine.

Comment

Working...
      X