Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway 19" FPD1975W help needed

Hello,

First post here, found this site due to having my Gateway 19" FPD1975W finally start having issues. It started having problems turning on, the power light would light up full blue, dim, then off, and it would be stuck doing that in a loop while the monitor tried to do its warmup and display the Gateway logo. I finally got it back working and just was leaving it and the computer on in hopes it would survive till sometime this Thursday when I get my new 27" Planar.

My hopes is, like in the on nice forum post on here with PlainBill's help about the capacitors on the power supply board. My question is does it sound like the power supply is the culprit?

I'd be taking pictures to post as well, but my other issue is taking this blasted thing apart. I was prying on the bottom like I've read many other people say to do but it still won't budge. Before someone asks, yes the screws are out. Is it just a case of really digging in hard, or can I take the shiny black bezel off the front and pop the non button control side off to make it easier?

I am planning on trying to save it, even though as others say Gateway sucks, it has been a faithful servant since I bought it in 2006 and it'd replace my second computers Dell Trinitron CRT which is massive if I can revive it.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Re: Gateway 19" FPD1975W help needed

Yes the front bezel should come off first,Just go slow with it and make sure there no small ribbon cables holding things up.
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Will do, just frustrating that it has to go two days prior to the new one being delivered. Once I get the black interior bezel off then I should give it a go at prying the bottom seem open again?

Comment

After the front bezel is off,The LCD panel is held into the rear case by plastic clips
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by Catevari View Post
          Will do, just frustrating that it has to go two days prior to the new one being delivered. Once I get the black interior bezel off then I should give it a go at prying the bottom seem open again?
          If this is the one I remember, it's what I call a 'Front Loader' - pull of the bezel, lift out the lcd panel carefully, disconnecting the cables and the power and signal board are fastened to the back.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Alrighty, with both of your help, the case is off and I have the PCB's removed to get to the capacitors. I'm getting ready to take pictures of them to see if they are indeed the problem child. A few look like the top is arched but not exactly blown, but doesn't that usually mean that they went anyway?

Pictures in like 5-10 minutes

Comment

Here are the pictures of each of the capacitors

<Images removed due to being Inline - trying to make a thumb spread but keep getting: Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing. If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.">

Hopefully those are good enough to go by. Please let me know what you think.

I wrote down the different caps. I know I should go for 105c low esr caps

100uf450v, 4x 470uf25v, 4x 220uf25v, 47uf25v for the power board
              6x 10uf16v, 1x 220uf16v, 2x 100uf16v, 3x 4.7uf50v on the main board

I don't know if you can tell if caps are bad from the pictures, hopefully you can. If they are I am planning on replacing them all, I just need to be directed as to which and where to get them as I have knowledge of caps, but not purchasing and sorting through the plethora of them. I know my dad usually gets stuff from Digikey but their search function has me baffled.
              Last edited by Catevari; 09-26-2011, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Hopefully those are good enough to go by. Please let me know what you think
                1) PLEASE edit your post so that the images are not inline. There are a number of reasons why and you can read them at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=12

2) Please use the manage attachments feature to upload your images so they are hosted here.

3) You definitely have bad capacitors. Samxon GF series are problematic. Members here will recommend that you replace them ALL due to guilt by association.

Capacitors die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

Most members here will recommend that you replace ALL capacitors with reputable brands from reputable sellers. Brands like Rubycon, Panasonic, and United Chemicon are suggested. A list of recommended caps can be found at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I apologize retiredcaps. I'll fix it ASAP. I didn't realize and will upload them here and make them a spread. I know Samxon are on the list of badcaps which is why I figured I would replace all of them, I was just hoping someone could tell if that was the cause or not for the monitor to have the issue. I will try a multimeter on them but if I am replacing them anyway if some are noticeable as bad then I will just replace and not bother testing.

Working on uploading to the badcaps server but it said a security token was missing, trying again but removed the inline images to not be trouble.
                  Last edited by Catevari; 09-26-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I know Samxon are on the list of badcaps which is why I figured I would replace all of them, I was just hoping someone could tell if that was the cause or not for the monitor to have the issue. I will try a multimeter on them but if I am replacing them anyway if some are noticeable as bad then I will just replace and not bother testing.

Working on uploading to the badcaps server but it said a security token was missing, trying again but removed the inline images to not be trouble.
                    Samxon GF are a problem series. Samxom makes other series. Think of series like a Honda Accord DX, EX, EX-S, etc. Honda makes many Accords with different trim, power, $$$, options. Same with Samxon. The GF series are problematic.

A multimeter can only read uF, not ESR (ohms). The bulging Samxon GF caps will read below their stated uF value. For example, today I desoldered a Asia'X 2200uF 10V cap. It was obviously bloated. On my multimeter, it reads 10.8uF, but my multimeter can't read ESR.

Pictures uploaded here have a max resolution of 2000x2000. My sig file states this so people know.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I know my dad usually gets stuff from Digikey but their search function has me baffled.
                      People here like Panasonic FR or FM series for replacements.

I search on digikey this way. Click on "in stock".

In the search field, type in

470uf 25v fr

It should return back with a Panasonic FR cap if it is in stock. Check the diameter and height to make sure it fits your board.

If FR is out of stock, change the search to

470uf 25v fm

You can post your replacement list here and someone will verify or make comments.

Alternatively, you can follow PlainBill's instructions at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I know Samxon are on the list of badcaps
                        And just to clarify, the one pic that you did have clearly showed the Samxon GF caps bulging (at least 3 of them).
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, I thought those three were slightly bulged so I figured those would be the culprits. Will search Digikey and post a list

Comment

Ok, I thought those three were slightly bulged so I figured those would be the culprits.
                            One of my favourite quotes from another forum member named Toasty

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...88&postcount=6

"A slight bulge is like being a little pregnant."

ROFL
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, I thought those three were slightly bulged so I figured those would be the culprits. Will search Digikey and post a list

4.7uf 50v: P10315-ND EEU-FC1H4R7 CAP ALUM 4.7UF 50V FC Panasonic - ECG 4.7uF 50V ±20% 1000 Hrs @ 105°C
                              100uf 16v: PCE3996CT-ND EEE-FC1C101P CAP ALUM 100UF 16V FC Panasonic - ECG 100uF 16V ±20% 1000 Hrs @ 105°C
                              220uf 16v: P11199-ND EEU-FC1C221 CAP ALUM 220UF 16V FC Panasonic - ECG 220uF 16V ±20% 2000 Hrs @ 105°C
                              10uf 16v: PCE3995CT-ND EEE-FC1C100R CAP ALUM 10UF 16V FC Panasonic - ECG 10uF 16V ±20% 1000 Hrs @ 105°C
                              Those are for the mainboard

Heres for the power board:
                              100uf 450v: TSED Series P11668-ND EET-ED2W101BA CAP ALUM 100UF 450V TS-ED Panasonic - ECG 100uF 450V±20% 3000 Hrs @ 105°C
                              470uf 25v: P12388-ND EEU-FM1E471 CAP ALUM 470UF 25V FM Panasonic - ECG 470uF 25V±20% 4000 Hrs @ 105°C
                              220uf 25v: P12383-ND EEU-FM1E221 CAP ALUM 220UF 25V FM Panasonic - ECG 220uF 25V ±20% 3000 Hrs @ 105°C
                              47uf 25v: P12923-ND EEU-FM1E470 CAP ALUM 47UF 25V FM Panasonic - ECG 47uF 25V±20% 2000 Hrs @ 105°C

And thats a funny quote. I tried to measure as best I could and came up with all those for they matched closely to the measurements. Hopefully they look good. If you can double check what I put up before I order I'd be much appreciating that. Also reason for replacing caps on mainboard which don't have any bulges was I found at least two were YEC which is on the badcaps list. The others have League which I didn't see on bad or good... so I don't know about them. Maybe someone else can enlighten me about League

Also found http://lcdalternatives.auctivacommer...-P1660279.aspx
                              I don't know if that is worthwhile or not since its almost 14$ and only covers the power board. For a little over 14$ if my list is right then I'd replace both main and power boards caps.
                              Last edited by Catevari; 09-27-2011, 12:46 AM.

Comment

If you can double check what I put up before I order I'd be much appreciating that.
                                Yes, the list looks good.

Also reason for replacing caps on mainboard which don't have any bulges was I found at least two were YEC which is on the badcaps list.
                                The caps on the mainboard are subject to a lot less stress than the power board (due to SMPS). Caps can be bad on the mainboard, but it is less likely.

Also found http://lcdalternatives.auctivacommer...-P1660279.aspx
                                I don't know if that is worthwhile or not since its almost 14$ and only covers the power board. For a little over 14$ if my list is right then I'd replace both main and power boards caps.
                                The ebay seller has had good feedback from people who buy the kit rather than DIY via digikey. I do have 2 points of feedback.

1) According to my math, buying the same 10 caps the seller has would cost you $5.51. Add $2.75 for shipping and you will get your digikey order in about 48 hours if you are in the USA. You also don't get a choice of caps with the ebay seller. So you are paying about 2x for the convenience. The seller probably makes a lot more per kit because he can buy caps in bulk (like maybe 500 to 1000) from digikey or mouser. It looks he has sold over 2700 kits.

2) If replacement caps doesn't solve the problem, he directs people to come to this forum for help. I see people who write "I was directed here".

So in effect, he gets the $$$ and none of the hard work if the replacement caps don't work.

PS. Badcaps.net sells caps as well, but Topcat's selection of caps is geared towards motherboards and sometimes his inventory doesn't cover some of the values needed for lcd repair.
                                Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Alright, I guess I will go with my list since it appears well. Going to have my dad look it over since he's dealt more with caps then I have also just to ensure so he can measure and double check everything. Going to go with Digikey since I trust Panasonic caps.

As a side note I was planning on ordering the caps for the mainboard and redoing them as well as a failsafe, should I bother with them since you say they are subject to a lot less stress or take care of them while I am at it like I was initially planning.

Thanks once again for all the help, I greatly appreciate it

Comment

Alright, I guess I will go with my list since it appears well. Going to have my dad look it over since he's dealt more with caps then I have also just to ensure so he can measure and double check everything. Going to go with Digikey since I trust Panasonic caps.

As a side note I was planning on ordering the caps for the mainboard and redoing them as well as a failsafe, should I bother with them since you say they are subject to a lot less stress or take care of them while I am at it like I was initially planning.

Thanks once again for all the help, I greatly appreciate it
                                    It's your call. I usually don't bother unless they are of a known bad brand. Since the signal card is multilayer, replacing the caps is a bit harder.

PlainBill
                                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

The ebay seller has had good feedback from people who buy the kit rather than DIY via digikey. I do have 2 points of feedback.

1) According to my math, buying the same 10 caps the seller has would cost you $5.51. Add $2.75 for shipping and you will get your digikey order in about 48 hours if you are in the USA. You also don't get a choice of caps with the ebay seller. So you are paying about 2x for the convenience. The seller probably makes a lot more per kit because he can buy caps in bulk (like maybe 500 to 1000) from digikey or mouser. It looks he has sold over 2700 kits.

2) If replacement caps doesn't solve the problem, he directs people to come to this forum for help. I see people who write "I was directed here".

So in effect, he gets the $$$ and none of the hard work if the replacement caps don't work.

PS. Badcaps.net sells caps as well, but Topcat's selection of caps is geared towards motherboards and sometimes his inventory doesn't cover some of the values needed for lcd repair.
                                      I've been meaning to say something about this very subject. I too, have seen several members directed to this site after their "kit" failed to fix their problem. While I have no problems with people selling kits to take advantage of people's laziness or unwillingness to look up the parts themselves, it does seem like these folks are using this forum as their personal tech support site. What's the saying?... people making money off these kits is a private individual issue, but when the kit doesn't work, it becomes a social issue where others who make NO money are asked to help solve the problem. Here's what I would like to see: a little more effort on the seller's part to help resolve problems and maybe a disclaimer that there are several things, other than caps, that can cause a monitor to fail. And finally, how about the seller's address, so we can send a bill to them after the problem's been resolved?

Comment

From their FAQ (the last sentence is the interesting one)

http://www.lcdalternatives.com/faq/

Q.The repair kit didn’t fix my LCD monitor, what now?
                                        A. Unfortunately not all LCD monitors will benefit from new capacitors, especially those that show no outward signs of capacitor failure. Should you find that after replacing the capacitors on your LCD monitor’s power supply board your LCD monitor still won’t work, then there are other resources available to assist you in trouble shooting your LCD monitor.
                                        Trouble shooting can be time consuming, so you will have to weight the time required vs the cost of replacement.
                                        Should you be interested if further trouble shooting contact us and we will direct you the resources that we trust and use ourselves.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X