Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 50inch Plasma - colored sparkles (videos in thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 50inch Plasma - colored sparkles (videos in thread)

if i replace the smaller board that has the adjustments on it should i replace the larger power supply board too?

i can get both boards for less than 100 shipped.

i wish i could tell for sure that it was just the smaller board and not the larger power supply board as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinarden View Post
      i take that back .. the va and vs are fluctuating too .. just nowhere near as much as the vscan
      Either the power supply is damaged, or more likely the Vscan pot is damaged causing the Vscan output to be unstable. (The power supply has no reference to what its output should be, so it's shooting for maximum.)

I need to go to bed now, will have a look tomorrow and ask you to do a few ohmmeter tests, it's probably repairable. I'm guessing some metal part of the potentiometer touched the case (screwdriver touched it anywhere other than the plastic knob?) That might have fried it... I've fried a few potentiometers when building a few electronics projects, but none on a plasma TV before.... then again I've only repaired 4... which is quite a lot less than other members on this forum.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

yeah i think the screwdriver touched something metal along with the pot.

i went ahead and ordered the smaller power board .. it was only 12 bucks .. if that works, great, if not hopefully we can figure something else out.

Comment

Hey when I was messing with my LG I got all the voltages out of range and the tv shut down.[loud pop I was trying to adjust the voltages to get rid of the red sparkles.] I though I blew up one of the sustain boards. I went back and set all the voltages back to the label and the tv came back up. The LG I fixed, I had to flash an update to the logic board to get rid of the red sparkles. I'm not sure how you upgrade the firmware on the samsung. USB slot?
          Last edited by muskin; 01-12-2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

i checked all the voltages that i can measure and except for the varying voltage of the vscan (WILD variance) and Vs (mild variance) all the other voltages are pretty spot on ...

I'm hoping the Vs variance is due to the smaller power board and not a sign of it being out as well.

only time will tell, unless i can test something else that will give me a specific board to replace.

it stands to reason that seeing a spark shoot out of a specific part on a specific board would mean that board now has issues, lol.

Comment

One more quesiton.

does anyone know the difference between the part #s on these samsung boards?

for instance.
              each board has a PCB and PBA # and most also have a BN96 #.

When looking for parts it appears that depending on which # you use, you can get a different price on the same website as if there are board differences.

anyone know which # i should use for consistancy sake and to ensure that the board fit correctly?

i dont want to buy the wrong size board and have it not work.

just for giggle i'm going through and pricing all of the boards inside the TV to see how much it would cost total to basically get a new TV (sans the panel of course) ...

if i replaced all the boards in this TV i'm thinking i'd end up spending WAY less than the cost of a replacement TV of the same specs ...

the panel still is good from what i can tell...

Comment

As I said, this problem can be caused by the plasma panel aging, the best you may be able to do is adjustment of the voltages and timings.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

i'll replace the board that i think i fried ... then readjust all voltages ...

and i guess hang the TV backup...

i might replace the Y SUS and buffer boards in the next few months and we'll see what happens then.

Comment

so i took off the smaller board that has the vscan adjust on it (its the one i've bought a replacement for)

i'm not showing any obvious signs of issues. am i running a risk by replacing this board and not the main power supply board as well?

just wondering if i should wait to get the replacement in and install it or if i should go ahead and order the main power supply board as well ... its the board that has the slightly suspect cap on it.

Comment

oh .. haha ..

and one more question.

There appear to be places to hook computer fans to the power supply board .. they are even labeled "fan"

since heat is a big concern can i install fans into this thing? Has anyone done this type of install before?

Comment

I would change only the secondary board.

Originally posted by dustinarden View Post
                        oh .. haha ..

and one more question.

There appear to be places to hook computer fans to the power supply board .. they are even labeled "fan"

since heat is a big concern can i install fans into this thing? Has anyone done this type of install before?
                        Maybe. I know some people complained about the earlier plasma TVs with fans because they made a lot of noise though I did have a Panasonic Viera with fans and it was very quiet, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Placement is crucial; the TV uses a chimney effect (cool air enters the bottom and exits at the top), so ideally, work with this and not against it (i.e. you fans should draw air upwards, out the top vents.) Where the TV is currently placed, is there sufficient clear space for air to enter the bottom, as well?

Comment

Thanks for this thread! I also have an HPS5053, it was sparkling but I adjusted all voltages to match the panel. It has no sparkles after it has warmed up (10-20 minutes). When it is started 'cold', the black parts of the picture have red sparkles in them. They gradually go away, and are gone within 10 to 20 minutes. Is there an adjustment for this, or is the panel going out?

Comment

Originally posted by rpgruss View Post
                            Thanks for this thread! I also have an HPS5053, it was sparkling but I adjusted all voltages to match the panel. It has no sparkles after it has warmed up (10-20 minutes). When it is started 'cold', the black parts of the picture have red sparkles in them. They gradually go away, and are gone within 10 to 20 minutes. Is there an adjustment for this, or is the panel going out?
                            It could be a timing issue or the voltages might be dropping lower (causing less sparklies) as the set warms up.

Comment

I recently put the TV back up on the wall and when i first turned it on i was a little disheartened as it looked just as bad if not worse when i first fired it up.

however after just a few minutes i dont see any sparkles at all anymore from my viewing distance.

The TV looks great compared to what it did before. I adjusted many of the pots trying to get the picture right and it finally came out ok. I'm sure it wont last forever but in the meantime (superbowl coming up) it looks good.

Comment

I am working on a 65 with sparkle and black in just the lower left corner. I swapped the "G" x-buffer card with the top left card and the problem did not follow. I it is not the y-buffer because when I use the upper left ribbon to test the lower right, the problem is still there. Help.

Comment

Sparklies in one portion of the screen can sometimes be cured by increasing the -Vsc and decreasing Vset, timing Yrr/Yfr may have an effect but it doesn't usually. Also consider dropping Vs. Whatever you do, do not touch Va! Leave it at factory default voltage.

Comment

hello, I have the same issue here. I started last week and the problem has been increasing with time. Ill appreciate any help thanks!

Comment

Hello guys, I need some help and advice to resolved the problem of my Samsung Plasma TV PS42C91HX.
                                      this is chronology of my TV, at the first time I see "no picture and no sound" after I push ON the TV. but I see the indicator LED blue at the bottom still light on.then I open back of the chassis and start to check, may be some fuse are blown or something wrong inside, then I find some pico fuse 500ma (F4001) at the X main board are Fail/blown, and 4 pcs. Transistor IGBT ( IXGQ90N33 and GP7ON33 ) are short too. So I desire to buy it the new one and installed the "X main board", and starts ON again, result the picture absolutely normal, but after a few minute play, the picture is gone/blank and I only hear the sound, then I turn it off the tv , and a tray to check again, .... woow I find this time pico fuse 500ma (F5003) at the Y Sustain Board/Y Main Board are fail/blown and 1 pcs. Transistor IGBT are short too ( only GP7ON33 fail ), so I change the fuse with same type and Transistor with a new one and re check again all of the transistor and diodes at the Y Sustain Board, and the result is good (no short and leakage), then I test to turn on the TV again and look what happen again..... this time I see the picture is have an abnormal color and looks like colour distortion. I go on the back of the TV and put My DMM try to test point in properly like a Va=63 Vdc ; Vsc=-195 Vdc ; Vs=205 Vdc ; Ve=97 Vdc, the result is Fine/Good as it is. The Adjuster VR Potentiometer is work well too, the voltage can up and down by adjust slowly. and I have try to decrease and increase the voltage of Vs and Vscan but they cannot take effect to the distortion of the picture.
                                      What kind of board is in defect or fail ??
                                      Please somebody help me .......thank you.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                        There are two causes of this problem:
                                        - bad Yfr/Yrr timings (set using the potentiometers).
                                        - corrupt/out of date logic board firmware (requires a re-flash or a new board NOT a used one) - also sometimes when replacing the logic board you need to replace the other boards at the same time.

If you post a picture of the Y-sus board (the board on the left, when you look at it from the back), then there may be adjustments you can make, but this doesn't always work. And randomly adjusting the potentiometers is NOT a solution. It sounds like the TV tech you had was a "board swapper" - with very little diagnostic or repair knowledge.
                                        Hi Tom, according to your opinion, should I replace my Logic board or not ??
                                        I'll appreciated all your suggestions, thanks.

Comment

Hi, Problem solved !!!.......I'm very happy now..... After I replace Y Sustain Board (Y main board) with new ones, the picture not dark anymore, and colour is absolutely normal also more bright then before. In addition I added some heat sink to prevent overheating in its original usage especially for long term use.....in fact until now still be a question mark for me about which item has been damaged in the old board when all voltages have been measured in accordance with note that it is recommended as Va, Vsc, Ve, and Vs, there may be some Buffer IC damaged and could not be measured.......!

Comment

Working...
                                          X