Motherboard Burn-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboard Burn-In

I note that Topcat "burns in" motherboards after recapping for a specified length of time.

Is this all memtest86 or are other programs run as well.

If you have rcapped a board and it fails burn-in, what do you do? Bin the board and put it down to bad luck? Reflow all joints and try again?

Re: Motherboard Burn-In

i think he does it because he has 5 zillion orders and memtest puts load without him having to constantly babysit it... and to cover his ass to make sure the board is in good order... there have been a few board models that were found to have defective screenprints resulting in backwards caps... there is a sticky in this forum about a MSI board with that issue, and the only way he found out was the burn in.

if you have issues, check to make sure that:
    • you trimmed all leads
    • all joints are soldered
    • no caps are backwards (you can do a multimeter test if in doubt)
    • no caps have damage
    • no traces are split.
    • no solder splat
    • no cold joints
    • you plugged all the parts in right (CPU, RAM, etc.)
    • you hooked the monitor up
    • that you are using a known good PSU
    • you have a good cmos battery (some boards will do a no post if the battery is bad)

if that solves nothing, then take a 15min-1hr break and check again. you may have missed something in you fit.

sometimes you do have a goner...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I usally give my boards 24 hours memtest, followed by 24 hours Prime95 blend, then 24 hours prime95 In-place FFT and finally 24 hours prime95 small FFT. Total of 96 hours of testing.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

c_hegge I admire your patience...

Comment

I generally do 24hours memtest and 24hours prime95 custom blend for most machines.
          On my server after I recapped it, I let prime95 crank on it for 240 hours. I set it in a corner and just 'forgot' about it for a week and a half.

Comment

For me Prime has failed enough times (or probably taken too long to fail) to be considered reliable. IntelBurnTest all the way. On a 2GB RAM system with a modern CPU it never takes more than 20 minutes. With more RAM of course it takes more but nowhere near a full day.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              For me Prime has failed enough times (or probably taken too long to fail) to be considered reliable. IntelBurnTest all the way. On a 2GB RAM system with a modern CPU it never takes more than 20 minutes. With more RAM of course it takes more but nowhere near a full day.
              But letting it run an extended period of time (24hrs+) testing is better if you really want to test it for reliability. I have had replacements parts take longer than 20 mins to fail but rarely fail short of their life expectancy after a 24hr+ test.

Comment

Working...
              X