Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps on Inverter Board?

Hi peeps.

I've got a LCD screen with a faulty backlight inverter board; everytime I try and power up the monitor the backlight comes on briefly, the PSU short-circuit protection kicks in and the whole lot turns off. This on/off cycle will carry on until you disconnect the power.

So I un-plugged the inverter board and the TV powered up fine. Plug the inverter back in and it shorts again. Now if I keep the inverter board plugged in and remove all 6 cathode connections the TV powers up fine.... then if I plug back in the tubes the TV stays on, but without the backlight.

Anyway I removed the power, plugged in 1 out of 6 of the cathode tube connections and turned it back on and the PSU, as above, cycles on/off protecting itself from a short. But when I put my digital multi-meter, on a volt range, across the small blue 18pF caps near the transformers the output from that tranny comes on and the shorting stops, TV on! I know this cause my digital meter goes crazy with high frequency AC readings. No back light though cause only one side of one tube is connected to the inverter; three tubes, 6 connections, 6 transformers and 6 caps.

So can this mean the 18pF caps are bad? I then tried this on all 6 outputs, and the same happens.
    Last edited by Remeniz; 01-28-2011, 01:43 PM.
    Soundcraft CPS-450 and CPS-550 (Rebuilds - Completed!)
    Samsung PS42V6S - in repair (New Y-SUS Board Completed)
    Philips 32PFL7782D/05 - in repair (PSU or Main Board - Selling)

Re: Bad caps on Inverter Board?

Here's the cathode inverter board...

I did try to upload but it failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Remeniz View Post
      Here's the cathode inverter board...

I did try to upload but it failed.
      The max resolution is 2000x2000 and the max size is around 2MB. If you exceed that, the upload will fail. There are a number of programs to resize or just take another picture with lower resolution settings on your camera.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        The max resolution is 2000x2000 and the max size is around 2MB. If you exceed that, the upload will fail. There are a number of programs to resize or just take another picture with lower resolution settings on your camera.
        Thanks man.

Here's the board....
        Attached Files

Comment

But when I put my digital multi-meter, on a volt range, across the small blue 18pF caps near the transformers the output from that tranny comes on and the shorting stops, TV on! I know this cause my digital meter goes crazy with high frequency AC readings.
          1) It would help if you list the model number of the TV.

2) The AC voltage where you are measuring can easily get to 1500V AC. Enough to do serious damage to your multimeter and you.

3) From what I know, those blue caps rarely fail and when they do you will know it.

4) If you are getting a brief backlight flash, you have likely have 2 seconds to black.

If you hookup a dvd player, do you see the movie playing on the screen if you shine a flashlight on it?

5) If yes to #4, the purple electrolytic caps can cause 2 seconds to black.

6) Another possibility is the inverter transformers. You can measure the resistance of secondary pins (with power off and lcd unplugged). The secondary pins are the ones "feeding into" the blue caps.

7) Another possibility is that you have a bad ccfl tube.

5,6,7 and are described for computer lcds at post #13 and #14 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

My bad.

TV model is Toshiba NR 20VL44B. The backlight comes on very briefly, like it's trying to start up, but it's this initial start up process that is causing problems and is shorting the PSU. The PSU has a 5A limit after which it will shut down for 1 second and re-start. I just assumed that the multimeter's high internal resistance across the small cap's was fixing the problem so it needed new caps.

Also the picture is visible on the screen without the backlight.

I'll refer to the thread you linked...

Thanks.
            Last edited by Remeniz; 01-29-2011, 04:26 AM.

Comment

TV model is Toshiba NR 20VL44B. The backlight comes on very briefly, like it's trying to start up, but it's this initial start up process that is causing problems and is shorting the PSU.
              I should mention that "2 seconds" guide is meant for lcd troubleshooting. The LCD TVs are an order of magnitude more difficult to troubleshoot and you very well could be right in looking at the PSU versus the inverter section.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                I should mention that "2 seconds" guide is meant for lcd troubleshooting. The LCD TVs are an order of magnitude more difficult to troubleshoot and you very well could be right in looking at the PSU versus the inverter section.
                The external PSU was cycling on/off without the inverter board.

Also I hooked up the high current output from an ATX PSU to the monitor and guess what?... It powered up, albeit without the backlight; 11.6V isn't enough for the inverter to start up the cathodes, it needs 15V.

So it seems the PSU is not liking the initial current demands; with the ATX PSU running the monitor it needed 2.5A, 4A max, to start the cathodes after which it drops to 860mA. But to have the PSU crap out with just less than an amp means it's had it.

Do I go with another switching PSU, for efficiency, or a non-switching type? If switching then i'll go with a 6A instead of 5A.

Comment

Just a quick re-cap...

I opened up the external PSU and replaced the high voltage filter electrolytic on the primary side and it works fine now.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X