Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shame on you Corsair! (Capxon)

^
    Yah. I do really think that corsair needs to come away from CWT if they want to sell good quality gear. Admittedly, though, I do have a corsair HX-750, and it survived 920W on the load tester. However, I did find something a little disturbing - a solder hanging by a thread in the glue of one of the DC-DC VRMs
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      ^
      Yah. I do really think that corsair needs to come away from CWT if they want to sell good quality gear. Admittedly, though, I do have a corsair HX-750, and it survived 920W on the load tester. However, I did find something a little disturbing - a solder hanging by a thread in the glue of one of the DC-DC VRMs
      I read today your review and it is awesome.

But when it comes to me I would never recommend/buy a CWT made psu again.
      Last edited by goodpsusearch; 09-09-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        I thought OST was crap too. Teapo, I've pulled a couple of them. Ltec - no experience myself, but I've seen the occasional one in monitors bulged on these forums.
        Ost is almost on par with Teapo in my experience. I have 2 motherboards here with Ost caps - my ESC P4VXASD2+ and AsRock 939Dual-SATA2. Both are still very stable. The ESC is very interesting, in particular, because it was powered its entire life by a completely gutless CyberLink PSU (only 2x 470uf caps on the 5V rail!!!) and this thing sucks juice from the 5V rail to power the CPU. Yet the Ost caps are all still fine. The VRM high caps do get a little hot under heavy CPU use, but other than that no stability problems. I don't think you're going to find a motherboard anywhere with CapXon caps - and that's a good thing too, because IMO they just won't last even a second in a VRM circuit. In my experience, CapXon is almost down there with GSC/Evercon/Sacon and Rulycon. Almost everything I've seen with CapXon I've had to recap at one point or another. If they don't bulge, they leak from the bung. Sometimes when I do pre-emptive recapping, I can tell if the CapXon caps were about to fail - they feel very light, sound hollow when you tap them, and you can see some dried liquid spots on the bung indicating that they might have leaked some of their electrolyte.

Comment

Just pulled one of my 5 year old PCs out of the attic... was my dad's old PC... always had stability problems, just now I realised why... it has about 15 bulging OSTs...
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Just pulled one of my 5 year old PCs out of the attic... was my dad's old PC... always had stability problems, just now I realised why... it has about 15 bulging OSTs...
            Yeah, see that's just one of the major problems with Ost - sometimes they last and sometimes they don't. I do also have a P4 Shuttle PC with some dead Ost caps. I don't think they like the heat too much.

Comment

Capxon on the other hand are more reliable. You know they are not going to last...

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                Capxon on the other hand are more reliable. You know they are not going to last...
                You mean predictable??? I agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                  Rulycon caps don't exist no more. And i've seen Fuhjyyu last more than CapXon. TV repair shops here like to use CapXon because they guarantee that the TV will be back in an year or two.
                  And it has nothing to do with espionage, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Ost is almost on par with Teapo in my experience. I have 2 motherboards here with Ost caps - my ESC P4VXASD2+ and AsRock 939Dual-SATA2. Both are still very stable. The ESC is very interesting, in particular, because it was powered its entire life by a completely gutless CyberLink PSU (only 2x 470uf caps on the 5V rail!!!) and this thing sucks juice from the 5V rail to power the CPU. Yet the Ost caps are all still fine. The VRM high caps do get a little hot under heavy CPU use, but other than that no stability problems. I don't think you're going to find a motherboard anywhere with CapXon caps - and that's a good thing too, because IMO they just won't last even a second in a VRM circuit. In my experience, CapXon is almost down there with GSC/Evercon/Sacon and Rulycon. Almost everything I've seen with CapXon I've had to recap at one point or another. If they don't bulge, they leak from the bung. Sometimes when I do pre-emptive recapping, I can tell if the CapXon caps were about to fail - they feel very light, sound hollow when you tap them, and you can see some dried liquid spots on the bung indicating that they might have leaked some of their electrolyte.
                    Unfortunately, where I work, our Intel motherboards (DH77EB) have 4 100uf 16V CapXon and lots of CapXon polymers. We haven't had too many problems but then again we've only been using them for about a year

Comment

Looks like GSC, Evercon, Sacon, Chhsi and Lelon are the worst.

It's possible that even "JEE" caps are better than those!

And it's possible that Elite is the worst in PSUs.

Because I have a PSU pulled from a 2003 Dell Dimension 2350 with a bulging Elite cap and noticed it on July 19.
                      And that was even with a light load for 90 percent of the time!
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-09-2012, 07:06 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                        Unfortunately, where I work, our Intel motherboards (DH77EB) have 4 100uf 16V CapXon and lots of CapXon polymers. We haven't had too many problems but then again we've only been using them for about a year
                        Polymers are a different animal and even polymers from crap brands seem to do fairly well..... or so seems the case right now. I guess time will tell better.

Comment

The number of CapXon I have pulled... I mean WHY do manufacturers still insist on using these? They are really terrible caps!
                          Probably because there is terrible users that even one email is a boring job for them.

By the way, why one off warranty product should interest the company who made it ?

Comment

Friends don't let friends buy Teapo cap equipped hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by turbozutek View Post
                              Friends don't let friends buy Teapo cap equipped hardware.
                              +1. This

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

But I'm quite happy to receive broken equipment with Teapo! Makes my repair so much easier.
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It's Corsair's low-end, what do you expect? Seasonic's OEM PSU's are similar crap inside. Enermax's NAXN is not even build by Enermax, I guess it's so much below their standard they don't want to get their hands dirty. Or CWT just can sell them for less to Enermax than what would cost them to build it on their own;-)

But now when there's OCZ ZS 500 W on our market here, there is not really anything else to buy if you don't want silver or better 80 PLUS efficiency. It's cheaper than many 400W units with simialr quality. I am really surprised how cheap that thing is considering it's build quality, but I guess in OCZ they did their math and realized if they got lower margins on every unit but sell several times more fo them, it's still good deal.
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

It's not like the rest of the PC only costs $50.

I still don't think crap caps are excusable, and to that end I'm surprised by the latest HWI review. I know OST isn't the worst brand, but I still think Japanese caps should have been used, even at that price point.

EDIT: So I take it OCZ is now the go-to brand for a budget PSU???
                                    Last edited by Shocker; 10-15-2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

OCZ ZS is now like cheapest PSU to take if you want good built quality without compromises.

All these entry level supplies from good manufacturers are just filling spots between craps (not able to provide specified power, crappy insides) and good models (from OK to excellent insides). You get good components but caps for reasonable price. For me, the minimum is the cheapest PSU without any compromise. But most people when they finally decide to buy something else than average crap, they do not want to give the money for good supply anyway. So they all buy these OEM, NAXN or CS series.

It's not like the manufacturers aren't offering good PSU's, they are (unlike many other companies in different arreas of industry). But many people are not willing to buy that. So they all have to offer these lower models. Customers want them. If e. g. Enermax won't, than OCZ and Seasonic will get the sales.
                                      Last edited by Behemot; 10-15-2012, 09:29 AM.
                                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                                        EDIT: So I take it OCZ is now the go-to brand for a budget PSU???
                                        Yes, but the ZS series don't go lower than 550W, and AFAIK the only lower wattage PSU available in Aus with Japanese caps are was the XFX core edition 450W, but XFX stuff is no longer available in Aus.

Comment

You can get the 550W ZS for same price like the Corsair CX500, what else would you like;-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X