Sony KDL46Z4100 Pic Off / Timer blinking slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL46Z4100 Pic Off / Timer blinking slowly

My TV started freezing intermittently with colored patterns on the screen (not just simple horizontal/vertical lines) and the red Standby LED on and the orange Pic Off/Timer LED blinking slowly (about 5sec on / 1sec off). I can't google that combination anywhere except for one single thread. All I can find is about the red Standby LED flashing quickly. Does anyone know what the slow orange LED blinking means?

The freezing got progressively worse over a few days, but usually when I would unplug the TV and let it sit for a while, I would get it back to working, at least for a few minutes. Other than the freezing and blinking, there were no issues with the picture or sound quality.

Anyway, I bought a new BU board off eBay. Replaced the old one and now whenever I turn the TV on, the green LED turns on, the backlight turns on, and then after about 10-15sec the same solid red LED and slowly blinking orange LED. However, about a minute later, the power relay clicks and turns the TV off. And then I get the more standard red Standby LED by itself, blinking 12 times.

Per the service manual, 12 blinks is a T-Con error. So should I now try replacing the T-Con board? But with my original BU board I never got to the 12 blinks, just the slow orange blinking going on and on. Who/what should I trust now? Is the new BU board bad as well or is it the T-Con? I would hate throwing out $100 for a replacement T-Con just to find out it is something else... Does anyone knowledgeable have any suggestions?

As I mentioned earlier, I found one thread, http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...y-support.html with the exact orange blinking symptom. In that thread, the OP replaces the BU board just to get the 12 red blinks. In the end, it seems that he/she replaces the BU board once again and gets a working TV, but it is not 100% clear if it is indeed a 3rd BU board that saves the day or a T-Con. Anyway, the first half of the story is very similar to mine.

I would appreciate any help at all reviving my TV,

Thanks,
    LacoKis
Working...
X