Clear All

Re: intel ICH9R raid question

bios config or linux config?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Linux config.

Last time I did this was with ICH7R. I think you will have to use LVM, and when I did it, it ended up giving me some really weird mount names. Again, Linux will see them as independent drives, but will also see the ICH raid and immediately recognize the array.

Just make sure you don't try to mount the drives individually later on, only address the array, unless you have to play with the TLER/CCTL settings. I'm not sure what they use for that, I think hdparm.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

sounds like if i end up with 2 drives that it may be worth a try but not worth spending a bunch of extra $ on.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
          ICH9R is a firmware/driver based raid.
          firmware = software on a chip
          driver = software in the OS

It's fakeraid.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Most disussions about RAID in the Linux world would agree that:

Software based RAID is just that, software based. The O/S kernel or drivers do all the work.

Fakeraid is a card, or motherboard that "pretends" to do RAID, but the driver and CPU do all the real work. The card's BIOS may let you configure the array, but it's not really involved in handling I/O or Xor calculations

Real hardware raid is where the controller does everything. It will even rebuild the array even if the O/S isn't booted. Any decent one will have a battery backed up cache.

The softwaer RAID in many Linux flavours will actually outperform some of the fakeraid controllers like Promise.
            36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

sounds like i better avoid the raid then...
              sigpic

Comment

Are there motherboards out there with a hardware based RAID chip?

Comment

blade servers.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lmcancu View Post
                    Are there motherboards out there with a hardware based RAID chip?
                    Never seen one on a consumer type board, only on full blown server boards and they are usually SCSI.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                      Fakeraid is a card, or motherboard that "pretends" to do RAID, but the driver and CPU do all the real work. The card's BIOS may let you configure the array, but it's not really involved in handling I/O or Xor calculations
                      Also these cards are easy to differentiate from real HW RAID cards basing to price as without real hardware they cost very little... and if you look card losely pretty much only component (beside passive basic components) they have is standard run of the mill SATA controller.

Real hardware raid is where the controller does everything. It will even rebuild the array even if the O/S isn't booted.
                      Also any verifying checks and such go on background without causing any extra load to OS, processor or any motherboard bus.

I myself got 3ware 9650SE-8LPML some four years ago as I didn't want RAID to be dependant on any drivers or software and at least it has worked without slightest problems.
                      Though it also makes you hate these freaking motherboard makers throwing those useless crappy PCIe x1 slots everywhere instead of more usefull "wider" slots!

Comment

Working...
                      X