Philips 42PFL5432D/37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 42PFL5432D/37

If it still works with a fan our suspicions must turn to another bad capacitor :/.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

GOOD Morning.............It's STILL on !!!!! It's been on for about 15 hours now. Now what does that tell us?

Comment

Originally posted by PoteauPets View Post
        GOOD Morning.............It's STILL on !!!!! It's been on for about 15 hours now. Now what does that tell us?
        Bad capacitors, or a solder joint (cold joint.) Can you post a picture of your soldering?
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Getting ready to remove the board to take pics, but have another issue that I wanted your input on. This may or may not be related to the t.v losing picture but you would know better than I.
          I ALWAYS noticed that the sound seemed louder on the RT of the soundbar. Anyway, when we hooked the sound bar up last nite I noticed that there was NO sound on the LEFT side. So, I followed it to the ONLY CapXon left on the board. In the meantime, I hooked up both sides of the sound bar to the CN801 side on the speaker connector and now the soundbar works on both sides. I am attaching pics so you can see what I am talking about. That cap is a CapXon220uf25. I don't have a cap of that size, would a 1000uF25v be acceptable or is that too much ?
          Even if this doesn't pertain to the "losing picture" problem I want to fix it while I've got it tore apart.
          Taking pics of the solder joints next. Thought I'd give you something to chew on till I get back.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PoteauPets; 01-29-2012, 04:09 PM. Reason: forgot pictures

Comment

Getting ready to remove the board to take pics, but have another issue that I wanted your input on. This may or may not be related to the t.v losing picture but you would know better than I.
            I ALWAYS noticed that the sound seemed louder on the RT of the soundbar. Anyway, when we hooked the sound bar up last nite I noticed that there was NO sound on the LEFT side. So, I followed it to the ONLY CapXon left on the board. In the meantime, I hooked up both sides of the sound bar to the CN801 side on the speaker connector and now the soundbar works on both sides. I am attaching pics so you can see what I am talking about. That cap is a CapXon220uf25. I don't have a cap of that size, would a 1000uF25v be acceptable or is that too much ?
            Even if this doesn't pertain to the "losing picture" problem I want to fix it while I've got it tore apart.
            Taking pics of the solder joints next. Thought I'd give you something to chew on till I get back.
            I can't see your pictures though I'll make a quick judgement.

It depends on the amplifier, but it's quite likely that those handle the audio coupling... essentially they turn (e.g.) a 0V to 12V signal into a -6V to +6V signal (which a speaker wants, otherwise it will burn out.) If they fail open, they could cause a loss of sound. Fortunately, you can replace the capacitor with essentially any size; a bigger value will make it have more bass but that's likely going to be beyond the range of human hearing so you shouldn't hear a difference from the factory configuration.

Comment

That cap is a CapXon220uf25. I don't have a cap of that size, would a 1000uF25v be acceptable or is that too much ?
              Too much. Get the proper value for the replacement. This will do

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ords=P12383-ND

Hold off ordering because there may be more parts required.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Okay, from the pics it looks like it's not the audio coupling cap, because there's only one, normally there would be one per channel. I'm guessing the 1000u ones were the ones you replaced. Could be something like the balance setting in the menu? It wouldn't be the first time a bad capacitor has corrupted user settings. (Very common with Samsung LCD TVs.)

If the original cap was put in backwards it would have conducted a high current which might have damaged the speaker. This would not be immediately audible but can be tested using a multimeter. I do have some speakers from a Philips 32"; no idea if they would fit though.

Have you tried running one speaker on the output of the other? The connectors are keyed so it may be difficult to do so.
                Last edited by tom66; 01-29-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Have you tried running one speaker on the output of the other? The connectors are keyed so it may be difficult to do so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Yes, I can hook up either side of the speaker sound bar to the Speaker Connector & get sound so it's not the speakers inside the sound bar. It's the left set side of where you hook up the speakers (top RT side of 1st pic) and I followed the trail to a CapXon cap. BTW, there are lots more CapXons there. That was the first board I fixed and only re-capped 2 from that board that were bloated.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well, I managed to get one decent shot of my soldering. I found out that there are a total of 14 capXons on that board. I have already replaced 3. The others are:

100 uf 25v (qty 3)
                    220 uf 16v (qty 6)
                    220 uf 25v (qty2)

Does anybody know what those two green caps are? The name starts with a cursive L and I can't make out the rest. Don't know if they are a decent brand or not. Am wondering if I should replace them as well.
                    They are 470 uf 35v
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well, I managed to get one decent shot of my soldering.
                      The green joints look okay. The red joints definitely have too much solder on them. If you pull gently on that cap, does it move?

The name starts with a cursive L and I can't make out the rest.
                      Lelon probably.
                      Attached Files
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

On 2nd thought, gently pull on the green ones as well. They fillet shape looks okay, but it is hard to tell from the photo.

Let's see what others say.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The green ones are cold jointed.

However if the joints are too difficult to get right, it is possible using a piece of wire to bridge it over to the inductors to get better contact. That's a last resort.

Comment

The red one was my first attempt at soldering, remember? I was using thicker solder. I took that one off and re-did it and they are both nice and shiny and don't seem to wiggle.

Comment

Lelon probably.[/QUOTE]

Is Lelon a good brand ?

Comment

Lelon probably.
                                Is Lelon a good brand ?[/QUOTE]

No. One of the worst.

I only trust Panasonic, Chemicon, Rubycon, Nichicon and some Samxon. Although, given their location on the board, Lelon may be okay. Don't replace it just yet, it probably isn't causing problems.

Comment

Yes, they are a Lelon capacitor, at least that is what is on my board.

Comment

I'm in Tulsa all day today. (The big city) Does anyone know where I might pick up caps while I am here ? Just a thought.

Comment

I'm in Tulsa all day today. (The big city) Does anyone know where I might pick up caps while I am here ? Just a thought.
                                      Probably not... most retailers don't stock them (at least, not good ones.) A few mom-n-pop ones might.

Comment

I have a quick question, on the main logic board I have having a difficult time disconnecting the connector with all the colored wired. Is there a trick to it, I don't want to reef to hard on it and chance breaking it... Thanks!

Comment

Please disregard the last post... I got it

Comment

Working...
                                          X