black soot and replace with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black soot and replace with?

Dell e196fpf, took it apart after customer complain that it was cycling on/off non-stop. It does indeed do that.

But what I notice is that housing has black soot on the back of the panel and the cover, but the board is a bit dusty but nothing burn or soot.

I've never seen anything like that except for electrical arcing.

Anyways the board is plagued with su'scon and teapo.

Five 47uf 16v Teapo SJ 12mm X 5mm 5mm holes
    Two 470uf 25v Teapo SJ 15mm X 10mm 5mm holes
    Two 220uf 25v Teapo SJ 11.5mm X 8mm 3.5mm holes
    One 1000uf 25v Su'scon SG 20mm X 12.5mm 5mm holes *Bulged
    One 680uf 16v Su'scon SG 16mm X 10mm 5mm holes
    Main 100uf 450v Su'scon unknown. 41mm X 20mm 8.5mm lead

What should they be replaced with?
    Attached Files

Re: black soot and replace with?

Replace the 47uF caps with 47uF 25/35/50v (any will do as long as the diameter fits) Nichicon PW, HC, Panasonic FC, Rubycon ZLJ, United Chemicon LXZ etc

220uF , 1000uF 25v - replace with panasonic fm , fr, nichicon he, hd , ucc kze, kzh,

680uF 16v I'd replace with 680uf 25v of the same series above

See what matches in diameter, what fits on the board.. the lead spacing is not that critical.
    The main capacitor, the one 450v rated, doubt it's bad and it's usually not bad, not worth replacing it as it's unlikely it causes problems.

You know the stores, digikey, mouser, newark, rs-online..whatever you like.

Comment

I've seen something similar before. The monitor in question was installed on a print monitor PC which occasionally got toner on it. The toner settles around the high voltage bits like dust, but looks more like burn marks.

I cleaned it off and all was OK.

Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by turbozutek View Post
        PC which occasionally got toner on it. The toner settles around the high voltage bits like dust.

Chris...
        What turbozutek said. I've seen the same in PC's in a print room. I often wondered what the employees lungs looked like too. Don't breathe it in when you get it off there, printer toner is like asbestos brakepad dust, carcinogenic.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
          Replace the 47uF caps with 47uF 25/35/50v (any will do as long as the diameter fits) Nichicon PW, HC, Panasonic FC, Rubycon ZLJ, United Chemicon LXZ etc

220uF , 1000uF 25v - replace with panasonic fm , fr, nichicon he, hd , ucc kze, kzh,

680uF 16v I'd replace with 680uf 25v of the same series above

See what matches in diameter, what fits on the board.. the lead spacing is not that critical.
          The main capacitor, the one 450v rated, doubt it's bad and it's usually not bad, not worth replacing it as it's unlikely it causes problems.

You know the stores, digikey, mouser, newark, rs-online..whatever you like.
          can the 470uf 25v be replaced with nichie HE series cap?

I also missed one, there's 50v 10uf Su'scon SG cap that can be replaced with pw right?

Originally posted by turbozutek View Post
          I've seen something similar before. The monitor in question was installed on a print monitor PC which occasionally got toner on it. The toner settles around the high voltage bits like dust, but looks more like burn marks.

I cleaned it off and all was OK.

Chris...
          Originally posted by Gariarto View Post
          What turbozutek said. I've seen the same in PC's in a print room. I often wondered what the employees lungs looked like too. Don't breathe it in when you get it off there, printer toner is like asbestos brakepad dust, carcinogenic.
          Well that makes sense, I wasn't told what it was used for, so I thought I would just ask.
          Last edited by Mad_Professor; 10-23-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X