This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A guide to fixing/troubleshooting some common plasma TV problems

Do you have any suggestions for a problem I have with my old 42" plasma TV which is an NEC PX-42VP4G/S. The symptoms are thin vertical lines which seem to move occasionally and vary in colour. Other than these lines the display is fine but they are obviously distracting. I took the TV to a local electronic service shop and they say that because the lines are spread the entire width it can't be the Y-Driver but is most likely the chemically bonded connections to the screen itself which can't be fixed and would cost about £1000 to replace the screen. Does your guide referring to horizontal lines apply to vertical lines that I have? As you can tell I'm pretty stubborn with fixing things and like you I hate scrapping this sort of thing unless I am convinced there is no other option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Since they are vertical, it is most likely the plasma panel data drive ICs. These are not replaceable. However, if they are moving, it could be the control board or distribution board.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Okay. Here I go with my first "official" post. I have a Sony KDL-32L4000 with I guess a "vertical burn". When the tv first comes on, it's okay, but about 5-7 seconds later, this is what I get. Okay, so the picture will definitely show you what I'm trying to describe. Any takers?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dotcalminc; 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Please put this in a separate thread as yours is an LCD, not a plasma.
        In your case though it's a bad LCD panel or possibly T-con. Bets on the LCD. It is repairable usually -- tab bonds failed on display, need re-securing.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Good work Tom66 !!

Comment

First post here.. found this when trying to solve my plasma issues. I have a samsung pn50A450 that has developed a single dark line about 4" from the top of the panel horizontally across. Close up it appears to be one row of unlit pixels. This occurs on all inputs.
            My TV is only 4.5yrs old. I called the authorized Samsung repair and they stated that it was a panel defect and would cost nearly $1k to fix (Due to needing a new panel).

Is that true or would the Y-buffer solve my issue?

This isn't my tv, but it looks like this:

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zp4qhz.jpg

Mine is closer to the top.
            Last edited by Zarich; 01-11-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

It could be the Y-buffer upper board. Failure of those -does- occur. However, it can also be a panel defect. For a 50" plasma, I would say it's worth (an average) $40 gamble.

Comment

Where does one find the Y-buffer for this?

Comment

You first need to find the part #. Do you have the TV open yet? Take a picture of inside it.
                  Last edited by tom66; 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

BN96-06767A

Okay.. hrmm.. No longer made... no longer available a lot of place. I guess I will start digging around to find it.
                    Last edited by Zarich; 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

That's not the right part. You need the vertical buffers. Those are the horizontal distribution boards. You'd replace those if there is a thick line travelling up the panel or no picture on one half or one third of the display.

Comment

Okay.. opened it up. Have a large single board on the right with ribbons labeled LJ41-05307A and a large board on the left with ribbons labeled LJ41-05308A.
                        On both boards ribbons go to the panel in front. I checked the ribbon connects and all were secure, nothing looked out of place or damaged. Boards all looked in good repair. I have two boards in the middle, one is for all the external connections and the other looks like a mainboard.

Here is a picture of the y sus.
                        I am wondering if the buffer is down under it, or on the bottom of the tv

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/E...40163787.html#
                        Last edited by Zarich; 01-12-2013, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Ysus and buffer board all on one board.

Comment

Ah.
                            That board is $100 at it's cheapest (including shipping).
                            Not sure it is worth it at this point given the TV can be had for $500 new and it is only 720p.

Any other options for fixing the black line?

Comment

How good are you at soldering?
                              It's sometimes possible to replace the defective IC and they can be had for under $5 in some cases.

Comment

Is the IC the chip located underneath the silver heatsink? I might be willing to try that AFTER I bought a new TV for my family

Comment

Yes, I think it's that one.

If you buy a new plasma, avoid Samsung! Some people get lucky (4~5 year lifetime) but we see a lot 1~2 year old Samsung plasma (and LCD, and LED-LCD) on this forum dying. I've fixed 8, and it'll be 9 or 10 by next week.

Panasonic, or maybe a high end LG plasma for me.

Comment

Thanks Tom.
                                    After My problem appeared I started doing some research and I have been shocked the number of people who have had this failure even on newer Samsungs.
                                    Almost all of them found it to be the panel which is why I hesitate to rely on the y board replacement.
                                    I bought this tv based on consumer reports. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have gotten 4.5yrs out of it. We have already decided to avoid samsung.

Comment

Hey guys. I have a panasonic th-50pz800u blinks 11 times. Brought it in for repair says its the power supply, wants $400 to fix. I've noticed that a new power supply is $150-200. I want to know if this is an easy fix or just pay the guy to do it? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Training guide:
                                        http://www.tgohome.com/ServiceManual...&Search=Submit

11 blinks: Fan error. Causes: Fans, PB, A Board
                                        Not power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by dmat2300 View Post
                                          Hey guys. I have a panasonic th-50pz800u blinks 11 times. Brought it in for repair says its the power supply, wants $400 to fix. I've noticed that a new power supply is $150-200. I want to know if this is an easy fix or just pay the guy to do it? Thanks in advance.
                                          might be best to post this in the troubleshooting tv and video forum as a new seperate thread of your own you may get more response.

Comment

Working...
                                          X