Samsung 941BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 941BW

Hello everyone. Thanks to all your help, i was able to replace the caps on one of my monitors about 6 months ago and (knock on wood) it's still running strong. Now I've acquired a Samsung Syncmaster 241BW and when I power it on, the blue power LED blinks on/off. In everything I could find online, this seems to be capacitors on the power board. I see some "capacitor replacement kits" shown on various places online for $13.95, and I'm wondering if that's the best route to go, or if someone has a list of the caps (values, size, voltage, etc.) of what they would use handy so I can reach out to digi or mouser.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Samsung 241BW

Might sound daft but are you sure its a 241BW - I get very few hits for that. Lots for 245BW

Whatever it is what is the power supply board part number
    Last edited by selldoor; 02-20-2012, 06:52 AM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by alexsquared View Post
      Hello everyone. Thanks to all your help, i was able to replace the caps on one of my monitors about 6 months ago and (knock on wood) it's still running strong. Now I've acquired a Samsung Syncmaster 241BW and when I power it on, the blue power LED blinks on/off. In everything I could find online, this seems to be capacitors on the power board. I see some "capacitor replacement kits" shown on various places online for $13.95, and I'm wondering if that's the best route to go, or if someone has a list of the caps (values, size, voltage, etc.) of what they would use handy so I can reach out to digi or mouser.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated!
      The 'list of caps' and the kits have the same problem - at various times during a production run the manufacturer can change the power supply being used, and even the caps used on a given power supply without any change in the model number.

Far and away, the best way to do this is to open the monitor up and make a list of caps for YOUR monitor. You may be surprised by the cost savings.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

thanks for the responses guys. I'll crack her open in the next few days and get a list going. I'll also try to identify the power supply board.

Selldoor-that is the part # listed on the unit. I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Comment

Ok, I was finally able to open it up and get the specifics.

The Power board is an IP-35155A.

The Caps:
          3x 820uf 25v
          2x 1000uf 10v
          1x 320uf *10v
          1x 47uf 50v
          1x 100uf 450v (big one)
          1x 1uf 50v (really small)

Should I replace all of these? If so, any help in identifying the best replacements and source would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Are you posting pictures of the boards?

This board is usually found in19 in monitors - if yours is a 24 in
            it may be a revision

Selldoor-that is the part # listed on the unit. I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure that's it

Did you/is it?
            Last edited by selldoor; 02-27-2012, 08:21 AM. Reason: revision?
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I was incorrect. It is a 941BW, so thank you very much for double checking. I will upload pictures shortly.

Comment

Re: Samsung 941BW

Here are the pics.

As can be seen, the caps in the Upper left of pic 2 and 3 show bulging/leaking caps.
                Attached Files

Comment

Unless the large 450V cap is leaking or bulged, you generally don't need to replace it. The other 8 caps should be replaced and if you're in the USA, then selecting something like Panasonic FR/FM or FC caps through digikey.com should run around $10.00 , including USPS First Class shipping.

Comment

Is there a series that is more highly recommended (FR/FM/FC)? Sorry, I don't understand what the different designations do. Just know how to use a soldering iron

Comment

Is there a series that is more highly recommended (FR/FM/FC)? Sorry, I don't understand what the different designations do. Just know how to use a soldering iron
                      The panasonic series are usually highly rated here. The two main specs you should look out for are low-esr and high ripple current ratings. However, if you have a preference for other brands, check out Plainbill's link in post #3

Comment

In looking, it appears these are possible part #'s. Please confirm.

3x 820uf 25v - Panasonic EEU-FC1E821S - http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...US2011_Catlink ($0.90/ea)

2x 1000uf 10v - Panasonic EEU-FC1A102L, or EEU-FC1A102

1x 320uf *10v. I found no 320uf, but did find 330uf. EEU-FC1A331 - http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...1184-ND/356089 ($0.48/ea).

1x 47uf 50v. EEU-FC1H470 - http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...0321-ND/266330 ($0.34)

1x 100uf 450v (big one) (found none...only 400v)

1x 1uf 50v (really small) - EEU-FC1H1R0 - http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...0312-ND/266321 ($0.33/ea).

Please let me know your thoughts on all these and if I'm totally missing the boat on what I should use.

Comment

In looking, it appears these are possible part #'s. Please confirm.

3x 820uf 25v - Panasonic EEU-FC1E821S - http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...US2011_Catlink ($0.90/ea)

2x 1000uf 10v - Panasonic EEU-FC1A102L, or EEU-FC1A102

1x 320uf *10v. I found no 320uf, but did find 330uf. EEU-FC1A331 - http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...1184-ND/356089 ($0.48/ea).

1x 47uf 50v. EEU-FC1H470 - http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...0321-ND/266330 ($0.34)

1x 1uf 50v (really small) - EEU-FC1H1R0 - http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...0312-ND/266321 ($0.33/ea).

Please let me know your thoughts on all these and if I'm totally missing the boat on what I should use.
                          You aren't missing the boat, but (to use a cruise line analogy) you are booking passage in a second class stateroom while the 'Commodore Suite' is available for less.

For most purposes, the lower the ESR, the better. Yes, PCBONEZ will have you going through an extensive comparison to make sure you match the originals pperfectly, and you can do that if you also enjoy watching daytime TV. Panasonic FR has lower ESR / higher ripple than FM, has lower ESR / higher ripple than FC. What is significant, FM costs less than FC, and about the same as FR. For example, on the 820uF, 25 volt, Panasonic FMs are available for $.75 each; FR is not stocked in that value.

Some values of caps are only available in FC, for example, the 47uF, 50V is probably only available in FC. Since that cap takes much less stress than the larger caps, that is not a problem.

One very important point. Double check the dimensions of the caps you are ordering. Some caps are available in different form factors. Speaking from experience, it is very embarrassing when the monitor works, but you can't get the back on because the cap is too high. Almost as bad is when the diameter is too great to fit in the available space.

PlainBill
                          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by alexsquared
                            These rarely go bad - as mentioned in http://www.lcdalternatives.com/faq/#...clude_the_400v

Comment

In addition to the above comments, you might want to check the "320uf" cap again as that is not a standard value that's typically used. You'll probably find that it's a 330uf cap.

Comment

You guys are once again correct. It is 330uf. So judging by the responses I got above, it appears that the ones I selected are ok to use, and may, in fact, be overkill...but they will work just fine.

Comment

Caps on their way. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Here is an update for you since the OP seems to have forgotten about this thread. Someone gave me one of the subject monitors that was said to be dead. I cracked it open and found two bulged 1000uf 10v CapXcons the same as seen the the attached photos above. I usually do full re-caps but since I don't have any 820uf 25v caps on hand, I opted to replace only the two visibly bulged ones. I slapped in a pair of Panasonic FC 1000uf 16v caps and the monitor fired right up! I also note that this monitor did not have a Samsung panel inside and was made in China. So basically its more like a HannsG or an Acer than an actual Samsung.

Comment

Working...
                                    X