Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ViewSonic VX2235wm...

hello ladies and gentleman,

So i have a ViewSonic VX2235wm LCD display. The problem with my monitor is that whenever i power it on, the blue light comes on, but with a black screen. I have to disconnect and reconnect the VGA connector a couple of times on the monitor in order for the screen to show up. I'm not a technical person when it comes to LCD monitors and i did try to open it up to see if i could solve the problem, but i had no luck, however, i think the problem has to do with the VGA connector. After i finish using the monitor and turn it off for about an hour, then try to turn it back on, i have to go through the same process again of disconnecting and reconnecting for the screen to show up. i have googled for an answer, but i can't seem to find something similar. if anybody can help me out i'd appreciate it so much!

Thanks everyone!!
    Last edited by r3m1x; 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM.

Re: ViewSonic VX2235wm...

Originally posted by r3m1x View Post
    hello ladies and gentleman,

So i have a ViewSonic VX2235wm LCD display. The problem with my monitor is that whenever i power it on, the blue light comes on, but with a black screen. I have to disconnect and reconnect the VGA connector a couple of times on the monitor in order for the screen to show up. I'm not a technical person when it comes to LCD monitors and i did try to open it up to see if i could solve the problem, but i had no luck, however, i think the problem has to do with the VGA connector. After i finish using the monitor and turn it off for about an hour, then try to turn it back on, i have to go through the same process again of disconnecting and reconnecting for the screen to show up. i have googled for an answer, but i can't seem to find something similar. if anybody can help me out i'd appreciate it so much!

Thanks everyone!!
    That's an interesting story, but it doesn't tell us much. I'd suggest you open the monitor up, and take pictures of the top and bottom of the power supply. For best results, the pictures should be at least 1000 pixels but less than 2000 pixels on a side. Attach them to your next post. using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

attached are the screenshots of the full monitor, top and bottom, plus the circuit board/power supply. thank you!
      Attached Files

Comment

Even with the flash, I can see at LEAST 4 bulged/domed caps. Since 4/9 failed (or almost 50% failure rate), we recommend replacing ALL the electrolytic capacitors except the largest one which rarely, but not never, fails.

PCBONEZ will if I don't explain that when replacing caps, you want the same or more ripple and the same or less ESR (ohms) as per

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...47&postcount=3

Members here like Panasonic FR, FM, and FC in that order. You can follow PlainBill's instructions at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM. Reason: edit: Missed one cap lying on its side
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

attached are the screenshots of the full monitor, top and bottom, plus the circuit board/power supply. thank you!
          Not exactly what I asked for, but good enough that some problems are obvious.

Caps circled in red. Definitely bad, replace.

Caps circled in orange. Could be bad, replace.

Caps circled in yellow. Not visibly bad, but it would be a very good idea to replace them.

PlainBill
          Attached Files
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

thanks for all the help guys! i appreciate it! i will try to replace these bad caps.

Comment

hey guys, i have another different question. would the caps have anything to do with how the screen doesn't show, but only the blue light powers on, and if so, how can i safely change these bad caps. will the caps be safe to touch once i disconnect the power and give it a few minutes. also, can you guys recommend places where i could get these replacements on the attachments. thanks for your patience. i know i'm a noob, but with you guys help i can learn.
              Attached Files

Comment

hey guys, i have another different question. would the caps have anything to do with how the screen doesn't show, but only the blue light powers on, and if so, how can i safely change these bad caps. will the caps be safe to touch once i disconnect the power and give it a few minutes. also, can you guys recommend places where i could get these replacements on the attachments. thanks for your patience. i know i'm a noob, but with you guys help i can learn.
                The faq has information on removing caps; there also are videos on youtube.

This procedure will walk you through the process of selecting replacement caps.

PlainBill

Comment

LCD screen question: so i recently noticed a green spec on my monitor screen whenever it goes to a black image/background. is there a way to fix this? is there maybe dust inside?
                  Attached Files

Comment

See if it goes away with the capacitor replacement. Let's tackle one thing at a time here.
                    If it doesn't go away after the capacitors have been replaced, then we can advise further.

Comment

LCD screen question: so i recently noticed a green spec on my monitor screen whenever it goes to a black image/background. is there a way to fix this? is there maybe dust inside?
                      Stuck pixel. Unrepairable, unless you want to replace the panel.

PlainBill

Comment

hey everyone!

i've replaced 3 small capacitors successfully and the screen doesn't give me problems anymore. i still have 2 more to replace of which i couldn't find at the store and need to be ordered, but i want to thank everyone who helped me resolve this issue. you guys are the best!

Thanks

Comment

i've replaced 3 small capacitors successfully and the screen doesn't give me problems anymore.
                          That's good news, BUT ...

i still have 2 more to replace of which i couldn't find at the store
                          every time I see that sort of statement I tremble. What store? What brand/series of caps did you use?
                          Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Originally posted by pedro View Post
                            That's good news, BUT ...

every time I see that sort of statement I tremble. What store? What brand/series of caps did you use?
                            i went to an electronic store like Frys Electronics.

Comment

i went to an electronic store like Frys Electronics.
                              Fry's does not sell low-esr caps. Most stores only stock general purpose caps. You should replace the existing caps (with the exception the large 450V, which rarely fails) with low-esr ones like the Panasonic FR, FM or FC series, or you'll likely be opening your monitor again in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                Fry's does not sell low-esr caps. Most stores only stock general purpose caps. You should replace the existing caps (with the exception the large 450V, which rarely fails) with low-esr ones like the Panasonic FR, FM or FC series, or you'll likely be opening your monitor again in the near future.
                                well, so far the monitor is working just fine, but if otherwise i will look into different places to purchase.

Comment

GP caps typically have lower Ripple Current ratings and won't last as long as the proper caps.

Interestingly I just got one of these as a freebie, but I won't have time to look at it until late next week.
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                    GP caps typically have lower Ripple Current ratings and won't last as long as the proper caps.
                                    Well at least 5 people have mentioned using low ESR caps in this thread alone.

You can lead a horse to water ...
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here is the original caps list for this one.
                                      It has Power Board: Delta: DAC-19M009-AF, REV: 01A
                                      Attached Files
                                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

Thanks PlainBill & PCBONEZ for the information you provided in this thread. I have three monitors with the same power boards with similar issues. Your posts enabled me to place an appropriate order @ Digikeys.

Comment

Working...
                                        X