CriCut Art Cutting Machine won't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CriCut Art Cutting Machine won't turn on

I have a Cricut art cutting machine. it sometimes works but now won't work at all. I have opened it up and looked at the main board and this picture of Q46 is what I think could be causing the problem. do you know where I could get this part. thanks for your help
    Attached Files

Re: CriCut Art Cutting Machine won't turn on

Yes Q46 had a bad day. It looks like some kind of current-limiting circuit, in triplicate, so you can compare ohmmeter readings between the 3 sections.
    Taking the SMD marking code from neighbor Q44, it's a general purpose high-voltage NPN transistor in a SOT-23 package, MMBT5551 (2N5551 family)

I would keep digging, as these little guys don't roast unless there is a problem somewhere nearby. Check the bigger transistor below (Q47?), it prob. shorted, thus overloading Q46. This art cutter uses a heater or motors?

Comment

I have a better picture of the area. I have tested r49 and r47 and compared them with all the other same resistors and they test the same as the others. I am not sure how to test Q45. but I have compared readings with the others around it and they appear to all test the same. so I thought of just replacing the Q46.
      Attached Files

Comment

To test Q45 for a short: set your meter to 200 ohms, label each pin of Q45 1,2 and 3. Measure across pins 1-2, 2-3 and 1-3. Something in the range of approx. 0-30 ohms indicates a short. Since you have similar circuits (Q43 and Q47) on the left and right of Q45, measure those also and compare your results.

Comment

so I tested Q43 Q45 and Q47 I get no shorts on any of them. I will try to get a Q46 and replace the burnt one and see what happens. is there any other things I should test first.

Comment

That picture helps a lot. The last thing I would check, is whatever drives Q46.
            Remove Q46 and see how the ohmmeter readings are on the long trace that goes up to the controller IC.

Comment

Working...
            X