Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio Shack goes DIY-friendly again!

http://hackaday.com/2011/07/22/radio...os/#more-49897

A few months ago, we covered Radio Shack's efforts to suck less, and the Radio Shack DIY team has now come back with the top ten suggestions submitted. Of course Arduinos make the list at number 1, which we somewhat expected for beginner projects. Here's the entire list in order:
    Arduino
    More kits and project suggestions
    More introduction/instructional books
    Larger LED selection
    Larger resistor selection
    TONS more capacitors
    DIY audio and speaker equipment
    HAM radio gear
    More competitive pricing
    Stronger sales force
    What do you think?
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Radio Shack goes DIY-friendly again!

I wouldn't hold my breath. ratshack is nothing more than a cell phone and sat tv store. I miss the old days of radio shack.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

^

Agreed! I love how they turned their backs on the people that built their store in an attempt to become a jack of all trades electronics provider.

I only know what were like when I started going there in the 90s and they were okay. But now forget about it.

I love waiting in line forever because an employee is sorting out some account issue with a persons cell phone. Real fun stuff. We have enough crappy cell phone stores we don't need any more.

That's mainly why I don't go there anymore. Unless it's an emergency (I run out of bulbs, connectors, or resistors) I order my supplies online.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I rarely go there and when I do I rarely find what I need.
        When I do find what I need it's usually way over priced.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
          We have enough crappy cell phone stores we don't need any more.
          I couldn't agree more. Back in the early 80's, to me, Radio Trash was a poor man's Best Buy with DIY electronics and Tandy computers. Now, because of competition, they were never able to keep up. They are not needed in today's market. Between Cricket Cell phones, Best Buy, HHGregg, and other stores, they dont have a chance to sell their less than average electronics. Not saying that everyone else's electronics are better, cause I think all stores now sell crappy electronics that aren't meant to last.
          The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Well okay, but they're still not going to be stocking anything I would really use. I think they use some "okay" Xicon caps last time I checked, but nothing special. All of the silicon is rather generic. Resistors are all carbon film. Meh. Needless to say that they are charging $2 for a 5V regulator....which is around $0.47 on Mouser.

Comment

It has been over a year since Dick Smith stopped selling enthusiast electronics (capacitors, resistors, transistors etc.), but fortunately, I had a local Jaycar store to turn to, which had a bigger range.
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

dont much care about them.i have midwest surplus in fairborn and anything the shack has roger has too and then lots more.and i am helping a local business stay around.
                then we have mendelsons if you want to hunt for stuff.

Comment

Stronger sales force? It's against their philosophy to hire intelligent, knowledgeable people -- literally. One person mentioned how a regional office asked all the job applicants there if any of them knew about electronics. Those who raised their hands were told to leave, the reason being that they talked too long with customers.

About 10-15 years ago, Radio Shack had some stores aimed specifically at electronics hobbyists that carried lots of parts, electronics books, even computer motherboards. I think there were about 100 of them across the US, each about the size of a Walgreen's. The only one in AZ was in Mesa, AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                    It has been over a year since Dick Smith stopped selling enthusiast electronics (capacitors, resistors, transistors etc.), but fortunately, I had a local Jaycar store to turn to, which had a bigger range.
                    I wish DSE still sold them, maybe it would give some competition to Jaycar and get the prices down a bit, some of their stuff is very expensive compared to Farnell etc.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                    X