A couple questions about some ideas I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple questions about some ideas I have

Right now I'm running my computer speakers connected to a cheap pair of Sony Viao desktop speakers. Meaning I took them apart and connected real speakers to them. It works about as well as I expected, and will suffice until something better comes along. However the headphone input is noisy, poor signal to noise ratio, and I'm wondering what I can do about that.

Since the circuit board had relatively few capacitors, and all of them of some weird unknown brand, I decided to recap it earlier today. Might as well not have bothered as it didn't change a thing. I'm toying with the idea of replacing the largest capacitor, a 1000uf @ 16 volt cap, with something like a 2200uf@ 16 volt cap and see if I get cleaner sound. Should I try it?

Also I'm wondering, how would I boost the transmitting power of a walkie talkie? I'm talking about those toy ones that operate on the 49 Mhz band. I used to mess with those a lot as a kid, and I know a larger antenna helps, but what about boosting its actual transmitting power?

Re: A couple questions about some ideas I have

I think the walkie talkie mod would be a bit to hard to do.

But, I think the speakers would be easy (somewhat).

A few questions:
    1. What is the part number on the amplifier chip in your speakers?
    2. What type of power supply is it running off of? A lightweight switching supply, or a heavy, iron core transformer based one?
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Ah, the walkie talkie i don't care much about. The speakers however, lets see here.

Power supply is a small transformer. The amplifier is I'm guessing this 8 pin IC here. Part # UTC2822M

Comment

can you post some pictures of the speakers and the board inside ?

UTC2822M is probably a clone of TDA2822M.

Here's the datasheet

UTC2822M made by some chinese company:

And the TDA2822M made by ST / SGS-thomson :

Both the chinese and original chip say they support absolute maximum of 15 volts, but the chinese one says maximum under regular use of 9v , while the tda2822m one says 12v.

You could measure the output of that transformer to see what's the input voltage... I would guess it's 4.5-6 volts. If so, you could probably replace the transformer with a larger 9v ac transformer and a bridge rectifier and a capacitor that will give you about 10-11v DC.

Either way, it's a lousy, cheap amplifier... with 8 ohm speakers and 6v input, you get about 1.3 watts of power with 10% thd according to datasheet, which is crap.

There's another graph in the tda2822m datasheet :

So basically with 8 ohm speakers once you go over 9v, distortions are higher than 1% (which is the maximum i'd tolerate) and you only have 1w of audio power.

If the transformer is really small, just enough to give the amp let's say 4.5-6v @ 1A (so around 10va) or something like that , then raising that capacitor after the bridge rectifier to a larger value might make the amp get more input voltage (with less ripple) during operation and that may give you a bit more volume before it distorts too much.
        But I still say it's just a crappy amplifier.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mariushm; 08-10-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

There is nothing you can do about the noise on the output. That is just the fault of the crappy amplifier chip. It is known for that.

Comment

Oh. So no way to reduce the noise on the headphone output?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrx3750 View Post
              Oh. So no way to reduce the noise on the headphone output?
              The only way to do that is to use a different amplifier chip with better noise performance.
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Oh well. It'll be easier to hunt down a better pair of speakers.

Comment

Working...
                X