Nasty Adware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasty Adware

My son runs a laptop online with no adware or virus protection. He just called to tell me he got infected with the adware popup that tells you that the PC is infected and you need to buy this product to fix it. The last time I got this one I had to format and reprogram to kill it. I'm going to try Malwarebytes and Avast Anitvirus to kill it if it will. Any of you all have a sure fire quick ways to kill this dambed piece of pirate ware? I'd be the first inline to punch the CEO of this Bullshit company that put this thing out there right in the fucking mouth!
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Nasty Adware

Combofix: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix
    veritas odium parit

Comment

do a dual-boot.
      winshit for games,
      Linux for web browsing.

my browse-box runs 24/7 with opera on Lin, not been down once in 5 years.

Comment

Last edited by Junk Parts; 03-30-2010, 01:28 PM. Reason: remove
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
          My son runs a laptop online with no adware or virus protection. He just called to tell me he got infected with the adware popup that tells you that the PC is infected and you need to buy this product to fix it. The last time I got this one I had to format and reprogram to kill it. I'm going to try Malwarebytes and Avast Anitvirus to kill it if it will. Any of you all have a sure fire quick ways to kill this dambed piece of pirate ware? I'd be the first inline to punch the CEO of this Bullshit company that put this thing out there right in the fucking mouth!
          Roll back to the restore point to the day before this happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
            do a dual-boot.
            winshit for games,
            Linux for web browsing.

my browse-box runs 24/7 with opera on Lin, not been down once in 5 years.
            You use opera on 'nix?
            I've been a long time windows opera user. In fact I never used firefox, I used mozilla until the day it was unsupported/died then switched to opera.
            I do have ubuntu 9.04 and mint 8, but opera has to be the biggest PITA browser ever on 'nix. Very hard to get working properly, not worth it at all.
            So I forced myself to use the pre-installed firefox for a change.
            To be honest though, opera still works on less sites that FF, and the latest releases are slower and buggier anyway.
            edit: I'll keep using opera as preference on my windows box (with back up browsers when opera doesn't work), but I'm not going to go to the trouble of getting 'nix opera to work.
            Last edited by paul_h; 03-30-2010, 01:41 PM.

Comment

For what it's worth, I've seen this crap get on through all of the major antivirus/internet security systems. Prevention is a case of not browsing the web with internet explorer, downloading suspicious flash player updates and being vigilant with what you click on!

Right, it might be SDRA64.exe, in which case it's a bitch to get rid of and can take hours, but can be done.

Before we begin, with the infected machine still running, note the name of the rouge AV program and try and find out where it's running from. If you're running Vista, enable the Image Path column in Task Manager, or download Process Explorer and transfer this onto the affected laptop via a USB pen drive. You're probably looking for AV.exe or AVE.exe or something similar. If the program has installed an icon, you can find that icon, right click, go to properties and see where the path leads to. Make note, we'll delete it later.

Boot into Safe Mode WITH networking (please hook the machine up with an Ethernet cable) and perform the following. You will most likely need to have a USB pen drive at your disposal.

Please open regedit. Navigate to:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\WINLOGON - In the Userinit field, you should only have "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe," specified.

If you have SDRA64.exe, we get rid of it.
              Open the value and remove the entry with SDRA64, probably "C:\Windows\System32\SDRA64.exe"
              You should be left with an entry: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe," - yes that comma is correct.
              Hopefully because we're running in Safe Mode, it won't add itself back into that entry.

Now download http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/. Transfer over to the infected machine if you're unable to download it on that machine.

Open the program.
              In the execute box, type the following

Folders to delete:
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\lowsec
              Files to delete:
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\SDRA64.exe

Check the 'automatically disable any rootkits found' checkbox.

If your Userinit doesn't have SDRA64.exe listed, just leave the scripts box blank and run it anyway, it may still find some things.

Before we reboot, please delete the folders or file that the rouge program was running from earlier, using Windows Explorer.

Now click Execute on Avenger and reboot into your normal windows installation.

Hopefully things should be running a bit better now, but we're NOT done yet.

Please download and run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, run them both one at a time on the long scans. Run them interchangeably until they find nothing.

Please also check your hosts file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc - open the hosts file in Notepad.
              A clean file looks like this:
              # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
              #
              # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
              #
              # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
              # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
              # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
              # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
              # space.
              #
              # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
              # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
              #
              # For example:
              #
              # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
              # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
              Hopefully by the end of this, you're all clean. If you get messages on login that it can't find xyz.dll, let us know!
              Last edited by seanc; 03-30-2010, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I had a nasty infection like that once on my dads computer. Couple of seconds on IE by mistake and boom. Some corny name I can't remember it. Luckily I had superantispyware installed on there and updated it the day before, but I didn't have malwarebytes. I had to run everything in safe mode, it wouldn't let AV programs run in normal mode. I never connected my flash drive, too risky. I had to disconnect the thing from the internet because it would just re-download itself if any little bit remained. Eventually I got it all gone using malwarebytes, superantispyware, and hijackthis. The thing somehow screwed up all the .exe files, so trying to run anything (I mean anything) would just come up with the error saying the rundll32.exe or whatever was missing. Luckily microsoft had a support page about that and I got it fixed.

Comment

I forgot that part 370forlife, let me know if anyone else gets stuck and I'll post instructions for fixing it.

Edit: You don't still have that link do you?
                  Last edited by seanc; 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paul_h
                    I do have ubuntu 9.04 and mint 8, but opera has to be the biggest PITA browser ever on 'nix. Very hard to get working properly, not worth it at all.

it works fine for me - better than the windows version,
                    as long as you stay away from the "snapshots" & early beta's

i use the RPM's
                    maybe it's because i'm using KDE, isnt Ubuntu Gnome based?

i'll say this, you must download the right version to match your GCC & QT versions.
                    although the QT thing wont matter with the next release because it's been dropped.
                    i think the new snapshots are using intergrated Gtk library's instead.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc
                      I forgot that part 370forlife, let me know if anyone else gets stuck and I'll post instructions for fixing it.

Edit: You don't still have that link do you?
                      I can't find the microsoft page about it for some reason, but this page is basically the same thing and I've used this before on a laptop that had the same problem and it works fine.

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1211289.htm

Comment

Fixed yet JP?
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

It's not here yet for me to fix it....
                          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Wrog
                            Roll back to the restore point to the day before this happened.
                            the malware plants itself in the system restore files, so it usually just makes your computer's working software messed up, with an even worse infection.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                              it works fine for me - better than the windows version,
                              as long as you stay away from the "snapshots" & early beta's

i use the RPM's
                              maybe it's because i'm using KDE, isnt Ubuntu Gnome based?

i'll say this, you must download the right version to match your GCC & QT versions.
                              although the QT thing wont matter with the next release because it's been dropped.
                              i think the new snapshots are using intergrated Gtk library's instead.
                              i use arch myself, straight compiled tarballs from the AUR.

opera doesn't care that much about gcc/qt, althought i guess gcc/qt don't deviate too much so whatever.

i see no problem in using internet explorer; the problem is ALWAYS the user.

Comment

Originally posted by toastygoodness
                                the malware plants itself in the system restore files, so it usually just makes your computer's working software messed up, with an even worse infection.
                                All depends on the infection, of course. I just had this happen to my wife's computer a few days ago. 5 minutes after discovering it, everything was normal after going back to the previous day's restore point. Quickest and easiest fix, if it works for you.

Comment

I'm working one of these bugs as I write this.

Boot the machine in Safe mode, see if you can run MSconfig and uncheck all the Startup items. If not, Malwarebytes does a good job in safe mode.

Log in as the administrator, disable System Restore then add Administrator to the Sharing and Security group for System Volume Information. This is the restore directory where the bugs hide. Disable System Restore, then delete the contents of the folder.

Run Malwarebytes 2x or until clean. Fix everything it finds.
                                  If you are seriously screwed, and can't do the above, download the Avira rescue CD and use it to preclean the system.

After you clean it up, install www.sandboxie.com and you won't have any more of this bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                  X