Conformal Coatings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conformal Coatings

Quick question here. What base type conformal coatings do motherboard and other computer parts use. Is it arcrylic, polyurethane or epoxies. I looked everywhere and can't find a motherboard manufaturer that brings up what type of coatings they use. I know that certain pcb applications in the elements use silicone and polyurethane types. Some are cured by air, heat UV and sometimes water soulible. Since computer parts change all the time. Wouldn't it be wize to use arcrylic? But why not polyurethane beause of thermal cycles? I don't get it.

Re: Conformal Coatings

i'v never seen a coated motherboard.

you know that what your talking about coats everything including the components & soldering right?
    it's nasty stuff - usually only used on stuff exposed to rain or salt-water.
    stuff like engine-management / generator regulators / payfones etc.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=Conformal
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=Conformal
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

I'm reaching back to the old days here before our time. I think that they used to use a clear lacqeur then they sprayed speep lanolin on top of that on the PCB. My brother would know the answer to this one as he restores old radios and the like for a living. He is on this site too but I don't know how often he stops in or what his handle is on here.
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

It's the coating on the board itself. How durable is the stuff? From what I have read its a lacquer varnish. But whats the base? Not a conformal coating. If so then how do they make diffrent colors like black and red?

Comment

Lacquer can have pigments added to it to make it any color under the rainbow.
            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
            Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
            X