DSL Modem/Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSL Modem/Router

My Son is giving me a new Linksys DSL modem router. What do I need to do to make it work with the Verizon DSL service? Is it as simple as just plug it up or do I need to call Verizons Tech to get it off the ground. I'm looking forward to using the Linksys because my Wetel is dying a slow death.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: DSL Modem/Router

yeah you need to put some settings

dsl login information
    username
    password

and i forgot what other settings necessary but some of these definitely
    -encapsulation
    -vpi
    -vci
    -atm qos type

can get these from your exisiting router if you can get to the menu
    this info probably on your isp site

choose nailed up connection

then you need to setup the firewall

linksys are usually good with setup cds.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Ok Will it may not be exactly brand new so I don't know if it will come with a setup cd. I think I know where to get the current info on the Westel. There is and internet setup page for the thing. I'll go there and capture what I find.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

you dont need the cd you can use the internet setup page
        default url is usually 192.168.1.1
        username is blank
        password is admin
        although those are default settings

Comment

Thanks Mr Will. When on the Linksys page I take it I'll be able to disable the wireless side of the unit since I have everything hard wired here. Also do I need to setup a user name and a password on the modem/ router if its used in a hard wired system? I know there is something called WEP Incription that should be turned on or is WEP only needed on a wireless setup? Sorry I'm a numb nuts but a modem router isn't a car so I'm somewhat lost...
          As a side note the westel's LEDs are weak and blink all the time now. Its slow too. I think it has some internal issues. The unit is four or five years old now.
          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Maybe the westel has bad caps. Wep is only for wireless and its easily crackable.

Comment

It just may have a few bad caps. I'll look into it after I get the linksys up and running. Can't be much inside that $19.00 Westel.
              Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

yes you will be able to disable the wireless
                i dont see the need to setup username/pass if wireless not used but of course its better security
                wep is for wireless and it is easier to hack than wpa2 so i dont recommend that for wireless
                you will need to set up dhcp also so anything on your network can automatically connect to the net.
                so you enable that
                if your router is 192.168.1.1 then you make your starting address 192.168.1.2
                set your maximum users like 20 or whatever
                set your lease time to 0 minutes

Comment

I don't think the modem/router is the issue now. May desktop got to the point today where I could bearly get online with it. When I did get connected the pc would lockup when I switched from one web page to the next. I just deleted the partition, formatted and reprogramed that POS the other day in the hope it would fix the internet gremlins. I got so pissed that I hooked up the old laptop and now its working just fine on the internet. I think the LAN 10/100 onboard chipset has taken a dump in the desktop. I'll pick up a good PCI 10/100 card from my brother and see if that fixes it. I know to make sure I turn off the onboard 10/100 functions first.
                  Last edited by Junk Parts; 03-19-2010, 03:33 PM. Reason: add
                  Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

I've a shuttle with that problem Junk Parts. It got to the point where it would barely do anything. Looked round the back, network card kept turning on and off.

I've changed all caps, even the network chip and swapped some crystals from other boards. No change for me

Comment

did you check the shuttle psu?

Comment

Oh yes. Both Shuttle PSUs have been re-capped.
                        I've been testing with a re-capped Antec EA-380 as well - same issue.
                        I tried to replace the ports, but just can't get enough heat to melt the solder well enough for the tabs that anchor the casing of the ports to the board - perhaps a job for quikchip.
                        Last edited by seanc; 03-19-2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Ok the Lappy ended up being just as sick online as my desktop. I did a little DSL speed testing this morning and here is what I got. On the Desktop.
                          Speed Test.net
                          Download 0.87 Mbps
                          Upload 0.33Mbps
                          Ping 60ms

First Verizon Test
                          Download 861 Kbps
                          Upload 330 Kbps
                          They had some sort of DSL optimizer on the site so I ran it. Here are the numbers after running the optimizer.
                          Second Verizon Test
                          Upload 853 Kbps
                          Download 429 Kbps
                          I have not used it enough to tell if their Optimization has helped anything. The second Verizon test numbers would make me think it hurt rather than helped me. Shouldn't Upload speed be the lower number and download speed be the higher number?
                          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Well, how could it help??
                            You might as well crack the router open, even if you do find bad caps, its not going to die completely just because you can see them and it will work fine with the top off.

Comment

You didn't mention what your Verizon DSL service speed is supposed to be. What is it?

Comment

I have no idea. All I know is that it used to act much faster than it is now.
                                Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

make & model number - and open it.

Comment

open it and post a pic for chrissake

Comment

Its a Westel VersaLink 327W. No need for pics. I did take it apart and it has only one cap in it. It has lots of Ic's in it. The radio transmitter for the wierless is on a daughterboard that clips into its motherboard just like laptop ram. Its been working great all day ever since I ran verizon's configuration thing. I also did a simple repair that also may have solved the problem. I rebooted the dang thing.
                                      Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                                      X