Radeon 9550 no secondary monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radeon 9550 no secondary monitor

I am trying to setup a secondary monitor on my computer that has a AGP Radeon 9550.

Both monitors work when both are made primary. The one that displays is directly on the D-sub port, the secondary is on a DVI to D-sub adapter.

The primary is a hitachi CM771, the other is a dell ultrascan p991.

Windows and ATI catalyst control center both detect the monitor, and when I check extend my desktop onto this monitor, it just unchecks it again. Catalyst control center won't enable the secondary monitor.

Re: Radeon 9550 no secondary monitor

Does your card happen to be an 9550SE?

Those only have half the memory bandwidth of a full 9550 and I think I read years ago that the SE's DACs aren't as good as well and/or it only has one. It's possible that it simply cannot drive two 1600x1200 monitors at the same time. Try lower resolutions and if possible try a DVI device.

Comment

what OS?
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by washu
        Does your card happen to be an 9550SE?

Those only have half the memory bandwidth of a full 9550 and I think I read years ago that the SE's DACs aren't as good as well and/or it only has one. It's possible that it simply cannot drive two 1600x1200 monitors at the same time. Try lower resolutions and if possible try a DVI device.
        It's one of the baseline ones from ATI, I think it is only 64-bit. I'm thinking either the DVI port is dead or my DVI to Dsub adapter is bad. If a known good Dvi to Dsub adapter doesn't work I'll either go with a bad DVI port or your suggestion. It wouldn't post with only one monitor on the DVI to Dsub adapter, though. Anyways, both monitors were set at 1024x768. I did get dual monitors working by installing a old pci ATI 3d Rage II+DVD. The OS is windows XP pro.

Comment

Hmm, I think this adapter might be bad. When I exchanged the known good one with this one on my main computer that has a westinghouse 22" LCD, everything was very blue. Exchanged it for the known good one, back to normal.

Comment

good then. glad you fixed it
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
              It's one of the baseline ones from ATI, I think it is only 64-bit. I'm thinking either the DVI port is dead or my DVI to Dsub adapter is bad. If a known good Dvi to Dsub adapter doesn't work I'll either go with a bad DVI port or your suggestion. It wouldn't post with only one monitor on the DVI to Dsub adapter, though. Anyways, both monitors were set at 1024x768. I did get dual monitors working by installing a old pci ATI 3d Rage II+DVD. The OS is windows XP pro.
              Yep, 64 bit bus in the 9XXX series is the SE models. It should post with just a DVI->VGA adapter, so it sounds like it's bad. You're not missing much, they are slower than a lot of onboard cards.

Comment

It must be 128 bit then, its not too shabby for what I'm using it for. It runs Call of Duty 4 at low settings, Painkiller and Far Cry run at medium. It's in my computer at computer tech, so it's fun for when we have spare time (a lot)

Comment

Working...
                X