Alternative to Dell Power Supplies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to Dell Power Supplies

In my personal experience, Dell power supplies are crap. If it isn't the boards that are failing, it surely is the power supplies...Full tower, Mid tower, and SFF alike. My question is are there any alternatives to Dell power supplies out there (ie: differnet vendor)? I know Dell uses different voltages and a standard ATX power supply won't fly. (Found that out the hard way)

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Alternative to Dell Power Supplies

I heard that you can change the pinout through buying a converter cable to use with your Dell PC. Personally I feel that Dell PSUs are very good. Usually they are made by Delta and Hipro, which make the best PSUs I've ever used. Heck, I even go out buying Dell second hand PSUs by the lot because I can rely on them. But yes once in a while, the Hipro ones will have bad caps and can be cured by a simple recap and about $4-5 in capacitors.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I don't think the voltages are different on the offending Dell PSU's its the pinout on the plug. If you "Google" it you will find the instructions you need to switch the wires around on the ATX connector. I have one here with an off the shelf Hipro PSU in it and it works fine. I didn't have to change anything on that one. I do have a newer Dell here with the non-standard pinout on the PSU but its working just fine for now. Good Luck! You can do it!
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

Don't listen to me.....I was wrong!!!! Your system will Blow up if you do!!!

Buy the adpter if needed. Its neat and clean and will allow you to use a standard PSU in place of the Dell non-standard PSU. I found one on "End PC Noise" The price was $14.95. The site also lists some Dells that need it as well as some that don't.
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
          I heard that you can change the pinout through buying a converter cable to use with your Dell PC. Personally I feel that Dell PSUs are very good. Usually they are made by Delta and Hipro, which make the best PSUs I've ever used. Heck, I even go out buying Dell second hand PSUs by the lot because I can rely on them. But yes once in a while, the Hipro ones will have bad caps and can be cured by a simple recap and about $4-5 in capacitors.

Thanks.
          I wish I knew what system genenration of power supply you're using, becuase the ones for the GX150's and GX270's go bad, but never show any sign of failing caps.... though maybe they are just worn out and and haven't bursted, which is why I need an ESR meter to guide me around.

Originally posted by Junk Parts
          Don't listen to me.....I was wrong!!!! Your system will Blow up if you do!!!

Buy the adpter if needed. Its neat and clean and will allow you to use a standard PSU in place of the Dell non-standard PSU. I found one on "End PC Noise" The price was $14.95. The site also lists some Dells that need it as well as some that don't.
          Well, that would take care of the power conversion problem...now what about the reversed plug-in on the back of the power supply itself? I'd hate to have to gut another power supply just to reverse everything...

Note: You know what? I might as well buy a Dell power supply as this converter costs $15...if I spend $15 or more on a power supply, I haven't saved any money at all.
          Last edited by 4tified; 07-24-2008, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Modern Dells observe the standard ATX pinout unless you have an old Dell then this shouldn't be a problem.

I believe Dell went astray on the ATX pinout around 1998 or so as soon as they released their first Pentium 4 system they went back to the standard pinout.

I just installed my 4th recapped Antec Smartpower on my brothers Dell Dimension 4700 yesterday without any problems.

I must say though Dell mobos are CRAP I went into Speedfan to check the temps and voltages and I got nothing.

This is either because Speedfan doesn't have the drivers to access the sensors or more likely these sensors were left out of the mobo to cut costs .

No matter after every recap I connect a HDD to the PSU as a dummy load and read the rails to make sure that everything is within spec before plugging it into a mobo.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Dell didn't faire any better or worse than other companies at the time. Whether you call them bad or not depends on whether you can fix them. If not it's just another system for warranty or scrap. If so then it's another good system at scrap prices. Supplies that don't burn out the boards are a major benefit.

GX150 and GX270 supplies are standard ATX. Dell GX1 and similar Pentium II boards had a different ATX layout. Compare the wire colors. My GX1 supplies were usually Delta and had a low failure rate.

All of my GX150 supplies died without any bad caps. Once the Power Good got below 250ms as measured with the CoolMax PS-224 power supply tester the supply didn't have long to live. The high quality reclaim caps were worth more than the supplies. I use rebuilt GX270 supplies for the few GX150 systems that need to stay running.

GX270 HP (Hi-Pro) with Arcon caps always revive with new capacitors. HiPro with Teapo caps fail for non cap reasons so I take the Teapo caps and put them into an Arcon equipped HiPro. Dead HiPro supplies seem good about shutting down without destroying motherboards and are visibly better built than the others so I prefer them. NPS (Newton) and PS (Lite-On) supplies fail for non cap reasons.

I ran all of my GX270 systems with HiPro formerly Arcon and Antec supplies.

I traded my GX270s in for GX280s and I am seeing the same non cap high failure rate that the GX150s had for the PS-5201 supplies and the failure might destroy motherboards. The ones that still power lose control of the 3.3v line. All were discarded. I'm running a NPS-250KB to see if it holds up. The rest have Antecs out of the GX270s.

The CoolMax PS-224 is much more informative than any hand operated volt meter.
              sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach
                Dell didn't faire any better or worse than other companies at the time. Whether you call them bad or not depends on whether you can fix them. If not it's just another system for warranty or scrap. If so then it's another good system at scrap prices. Supplies that don't burn out the boards are a major benefit.

GX150 and GX270 supplies are standard ATX. Dell GX1 and similar Pentium II boards had a different ATX layout. Compare the wire colors. My GX1 supplies were usually Delta and had a low failure rate.

All of my GX150 supplies died without any bad caps. Once the Power Good got below 250ms as measured with the CoolMax PS-224 power supply tester the supply didn't have long to live. The high quality reclaim caps were worth more than the supplies. I use rebuilt GX270 supplies for the few GX150 systems that need to stay running.

GX270 HP (Hi-Pro) with Arcon caps always revive with new capacitors. HiPro with Teapo caps fail for non cap reasons so I take the Teapo caps and put them into an Arcon equipped HiPro. Dead HiPro supplies seem good about shutting down without destroying motherboards and are visibly better built than the others so I prefer them. NPS (Newton) and PS (Lite-On) supplies fail for non cap reasons.

I ran all of my GX270 systems with HiPro formerly Arcon and Antec supplies.

I traded my GX270s in for GX280s and I am seeing the same non cap high failure rate that the GX150s had for the PS-5201 supplies and the failure might destroy motherboards. The ones that still power lose control of the 3.3v line. All were discarded. I'm running a NPS-250KB to see if it holds up. The rest have Antecs out of the GX270s.

The CoolMax PS-224 is much more informative than any hand operated volt meter.
                Interesting....I took apart a GX150 power supply and could nit diagnose the issue (at least not visably, there were no bad caps or other signs of failure.) i guess my other problem is that I don't have any testing equipment at the moment. Other than my multimeter (which I'm told can't measure components in-circuit), I am running blind. I did however just order an ESR meter, hopefully that will be my light in the dark, so to speak.

P.S. - I just found some NPS-250KB PS's on eBay, I'll take my chance and see how they fair. Thanks for the help everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                  Modern Dells observe the standard ATX pinout unless you have an old Dell then this shouldn't be a problem.

I believe Dell went astray on the ATX pinout around 1998 or so as soon as they released their first Pentium 4 system they went back to the standard pinout.

I just installed my 4th recapped Antec Smartpower on my brothers Dell Dimension 4700 yesterday without any problems.

I must say though Dell mobos are CRAP I went into Speedfan to check the temps and voltages and I got nothing.

This is either because Speedfan doesn't have the drivers to access the sensors or more likely these sensors were left out of the mobo to cut costs .

No matter after every recap I connect a HDD to the PSU as a dummy load and read the rails to make sure that everything is within spec before plugging it into a mobo.
                  Our family computer is a dimension 4600, speedfan registers 3 fans, (only has 1.) shows two that run at 26,000 rpm, 1 runs at 1920rpm (thats the real one,) but that uses a standart atx connector. So does my optiplex Gx150 1ghz p3, I put a bestec psu in it from a compaq, and it works just fine.

Comment

My problem is the other way around

I bought some new Dell HP-P2507FWP power supplies, guessing they were Hipro built, to use with generic motherboards

Each supply will power up if I connect it to a HDD and FDD for load, then on its 20-pin ATX connector, short the PSON wire to a GND wire beside it

But after plugging its ATX connector onto a motherboard, as well as the 12v connector, nothing happens when I touch a screwdriver tip to the motherboard's PwrSw pins

Have tried with an Abit SG72 board, as well as an Intel D845GVAD2

Same procedure with a generic ATX supply - comes on straight away

Pity - the HP-P2507FWP appears to be a quality supply, especially compared to some of the flimsy junk where bling is more important than function
                    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

BTW, the HP-2507FWP appear to have standard pinout, judging by colour coding and measured voltages
                      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

I was able to hook up an Antec to a Dell Dimension 4600 without any problem noticed.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                        X