Don't make them like they used to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't make them like they used to

I know it's not a troubleshooting question but I didn't know where else to put this, so anyway...

I'm recapping two screens right now and thought I would open my test/bench screen. It's been around for years and I thought it might be worth a look. So what do I find? Polys. That is why it has lasted so long.
    I got a kick out of finding those and a DVI connector on such an old screen. It's an HP f50.

ps - It does 75hz refresh rate

Attached Files
    Fun needs a full tank of gas

Re: Don't make them like they used to

Looks like it uses an external PSU, that's the real reason it has lasted longer.

Comment

Sir you are correct, but why would this make it last longer? It does remove the heat sources from the other components, but this also places the heat sources in a small unventilated box.

I thought that diode in the picture was broken when I saw it. The break does look suspiciously clean and doesn't go through any of the print; is it a little ferret bead?

Attached Files
      Last edited by Fir3Chi3f; 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM. Reason: grammer
      Fun needs a full tank of gas

Comment

Yes that's a ferrite (not ferret) bead.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

But ferret is funnier!

>>It does remove the heat sources from the other components<<

#1 reason

>> but this also places the heat sources in a small unventilated box. <<

But that small unventilated box is using excellent components. I see Panasonic(3) and Rubycon(1) capacitors. Plus generous heatsinks for the silicon.
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            Yes that's a ferrite (not ferret) bead.
            Spell check at its finest .

I also have some 2200 micro-fraud Fuhjyyu capacitors
            (lol sorry firechief, I just couldn't help it )

Originally posted by Toasty
            But that small unventilated box is using excellent components. I see Panasonic(3) and Rubycon(1) capacitors. Plus generous heatsinks for the silicon.
            Right on.

Comment

Working...
            X