Beware! Linksys WPS54G Print Server Bulging Elite Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware! Linksys WPS54G Print Server Bulging Elite Caps

So I recently picked up a used Linksys Wireless G Printserver off E-bay.

The previous owner stated that it was used for near a year and worked well.

I set it up and it worked well for me too but like ALL of my network equipment I crack it open to check up on the caps. Both to see if they are bulging or if they are a bad brand.

I was telling myself while opening it up that I was wasting my time and everything would be fine.

But it was the exact opposite so I open it up and there right before me 2 bulging elite capacitors both 100uf at 25 volts.

One was a power supply filter before the switching voltage regulator and the other was on the other side of the board.

While the tops are only slightly domed they have pushed their bungs out.

If you look very closely you can see it in the pic of the cap sorry my camera doesn't like the miniature caps and it wasn't easy to get a close up.

If you have this model print server please be sure to open it up and if the caps are elites replace them. To open it just remove the 4 screws under the rubber feet.

Luckily there aren't that many so it's a relatively easy recap.

I guess that the Cisco name on Linksys products doesn't mean anything.

Come on Cisco Elite caps?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-10-2008, 04:19 PM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Re: Beware! Linksys WPS54G Print Server Bulging Elite Caps

Well I finshed a few hours ago here are some pics.

I also took a pic of one of the bad caps.

Oddly enough one of the caps with it's bung pushed out as pictured measured 8.6 ohms or so on the ESR meter but the other one measured 86 ohms .

Very basic recap there are only 4 caps on the board all of them are 100uf one of them was 16 volts while the others were 25 volts. I replaced them all with 25 volt caps.

Originally mini lytic caps were used but full size Panasonic FCs fit just fine with space to spare.

I couldn't get the series of the original caps since there was no series printed on them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-10-2008, 05:47 PM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

open the power supply and check it too.
      those bathtub switchers are common to have bad caps too.

Comment

Already ahead of you. There were G-Luxons inside both on the primary and secondary side with a Capxon in the mix.

Usually I leave the switchers alone but in this situation I made an exception.

They weren't bulging but with the luck I had with the server itself I decided to do a quick recap while I was in there.

I replaced the 2 G-luxon LZs on the secondary and the Capxon with some FCs.

The G-luxon 22uf 200 volt line cap was left alone since they rarely fail and because the 22 uf 200V Panasonic cap I had from another job didn't fit .

I superglued the case halves back together and it's in spring clamps right now until the glue dries.

By the way a great way to get these supplies open is with a block plane blade and a hammer. It still makes marks but they are almost invisible.
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-10-2008, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Nice brick opening tip, Thanx.
          I've been dremeling them then cracking them.
          Jim

Comment

cheap "pakistan" flea market knife and a hammer.works well and the p.o.s knife is expendable.

Comment

I just bought another one of these print servers off Fleabay (I needed it for the printer in my basement since the one on my 2nd floor worked so well) the original owner said that it was remanufactured.

It came in a white box with a Linksys sticker on it showing the product specs and such.

So I crack open the cover and the Elites have been replaced by Sanyos the 16V Teapo was still in there like in the original server.

The joints looked professionally reflowed so this wasn't done by hand I guess Linksys got the hint on those Elite crap caps.

So I crack open the power brick almost certain to find the crappy G Luxons inside and all Samxons were inside even for the line filter I was shocked so it seems that it's all good for Linksys now.

Hopefully all new versions of this server will use these caps.

I junked the 1 Teapo while I was in there no need to put a black spot on this perfect cap arrangement .
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-25-2008, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X