Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

Sounds like the tip just needs some cleaning. Did you try cleaning it with a wet sponge or steel or brass wool? You can use even a wet paper towel.

Comment

I was ready to toss this because it wouldn't power on. Googled "Hanns 281D LCD no power", this thread.

Dug out my Radio Shack soldering iron that I was forced to buy in junior high (I think it was $2.99), still had solder wrapped around it, spent $4 at Digikey, replaced C603, C606 and C707, it powers on now!!!!!!!

Thank You Mishannya and everyone else in this great community.

Cheers.

Comment

Im in Houston, On black Friday Fry's had a sale on samsung 24 inch monitors for 120.. was a good deal, and even though you could find the same price on the net there was no shipping and waiting this way. I called my dad (he is an admin for an oil company here in Houston, he went with me up there and I bought me one, he grabbed 7 total 2 for himself at home and 5 for replacements at work. On the ride he told me he had these Hanns g's 28 inches he had ordered that went out, I asked if I could get the bad one he had, he said yes and brought it to me a few days later, I googled the model number and seen a zillion post about bad caps.. then i found this site and read a page or two.. then I went to ebay to order a set of caps for it. Well today the caps still hadnt came in and my dad stopped by and we was talking and he asked if i had any luck with the monitor I told him no cause I hadnt got the caps yet. he was going to Frys for some last minute gifts, I came here noted the caps I needed and made sure to atleast get the 3 important most common ones,, so at frys I found a velleman cap set for 21 dollars and it had most the caps I needed and i grabbed the few loose it didnt. I got home pulled the power board and my dad stood there and asked how long I thought it would take to see if it would be fixed,, and hour later had 18 caps replaced, put the board back in,, and sure enough,, it worked! I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum, I read through most of the rest pages of the post here after I fixed mine and you guys have it spot on.

oh one more thing,, after my dads eyes lit up seeing his monitor come back to life,, he said with a smile on his face "so I guess this is where I tell you there are like 4 more doing the same thing on my office floor we took out of service last year?"

looks like ill be stocking up on caps! lol.. thanks again you guys!

Comment

Four more 28" Hanns-G's that are not working? ~*MERRY CHRISTMAS!*~

Comment

I to had a Hanns-G HG281D with no power, I didn't see any blown caps and im not the best at testing and soldering So i called HannsG USA and for $40.00
            (Out of Warranty) they sent me a new power supply I put it in today and the monitor works like new . So with that being said anybody in the forums do repairs on power supplys ?? I would be more than happy to work something out !! Thx Scott

Comment

Greetings All,

Like so many I have a variation of the issues reported in this thread.

Problem: Monitor takes awhile to power on. Blue LED will flash/flicker for a time and sometimes stays off. It can take anywhere from 4-5 min to a few hours to come on but it's "rock solid" once it does until powered off. As it's likely a "Dry Cap" issue I've decided to replace all caps on both the power supply and main board with quality caps.

Question: I saw one post mention that the main boards caps use a different solder type?
              Lead vs Non Lead? IS that correct?

Comment

Perhaps if you linked to the thread someone would be more inclined to look at it rather than searching for it.
                Most boards are manufactured using unleaded solder.
                Most of us find it very difficult to work with it has a higher melting point so you would probably need a 60 watt iron. Some suggestions include melting some leaded solder
                on the iron and adding it to the joint ( helps the unleaded to melt ) then removing most
                of the solder with soldermop - re soldering with leaded.
                You can preheat the area you are working on with a hair dryer helps a bit.
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by MicroBell1 View Post
                  Question: I saw one post mention that the main boards caps use a different solder type?
                  Lead vs Non Lead? IS that correct?
                  Highly unlikely that a manufacturer would use two different types of solder.

The main board is likely to be multilayer and the power board is likely single layer.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks Guys.

I've read through this entire post and in the near future will be posting pictures and etc to make sure I get the correct caps and such since I'm going to recap both boards and this post is just loaded with great info.

I've been putting this off as once the monitor is up it stays rock solid but I know one of these times it just won't power up and I'll have to act...lol

@selldoor.... It was in this thread Post 302 but I missed retiredcaps answer in the next few post down from that which he answered the guy...sorry about that.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

I've read through this entire post and in the near future will be posting pictures and etc to make sure I get the correct caps and such since I'm going to recap both boards and this post is just loaded with great info.

I've been putting this off as once the monitor is up it stays rock solid but I know one of these times it just won't power up and I'll have to act...lol

@selldoor.... It was in this thread Post 302 but I missed retiredcaps answer in the next few post down from that which he answered the guy...sorry about that.
                      Whew! You read all 20 pages of this thread! Suggest you don't wait until the monitor completely fails. Bad caps can stress out other components and cause them to fail, making for a higher repair bill and time consuming fix.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                        Whew! You read all 20 pages of this thread! Suggest you don't wait until the monitor completely fails. Bad caps can stress out other components and cause them to fail, making for a higher repair bill and time consuming fix.
                        Understood jetadm123.

Will likely be doing it within the next few weeks. On a side note because this unit runs so hot, has anyone considered putting a mini case fan in the unit? Since I''ll be tearing it apart anyway (done this a few times already) so it won't take much to modify the case. And if so over what componets?

Thoughts?
                        Last edited by MicroBell1; 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Understood jetadm123.

Will likely be doing it within the next few weeks. On a side note because this unit runs so hot, has anyone considered putting a mini case fan in the unit? Since I''ll be tearing it apart anyway (done this a few times already) so it won't take much to modify the case. And if so over what componets?

Thoughts?
                          I used to run fan mods when I was overclocking. It can't hurt. Ok, the 3 caps you definitely need to replace are circled in red. (not exactly circles, but you get the idea). Those tend to dry out due to the poor quality of manufacturing, and the heat next to the switchmode transformer. The ones in blue are optional. The caps on the right side of the board really don't need to be replaced. On the 2 models I repaired, all of those caps still had very low ESR even after years of use. The area I marked in green is where I would direct a fan. Good luck. ~L-J-7~
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
                            I used to run fan mods when I was overclocking. It can't hurt. Ok, the 3 caps you definitely need to replace are circled in red. (not exactly circles, but you get the idea). Those tend to dry out due to the poor quality of manufacturing, and the heat next to the switchmode transformer. The ones in blue are optional. The caps on the right side of the board really don't need to be replaced. On the 2 models I repaired, all of those caps still had very low ESR even after years of use. The area I marked in green is where I would direct a fan. Good luck. ~L-J-7~
                            Thanks Lumberjack.

I planned to replace all caps (just to be safe) but can just replace those you suggested as I've seen these same caps refered to in this thread as the trouble caps.

Did you test the others using a ESR meter? Only ask because I don't have one to test with and I don't do enough repairs to justify the getting one...lol

Comment

Thanks Lumberjack.

I planned to replace all caps (just to be safe) but can just replace those you suggested as I've seen these same caps refered to in this thread as the trouble caps.

Did you test the others using a ESR meter? Only ask because I don't have one to test with and I don't do enough repairs to justify the getting one...lol
                              Yes, I tested the others with an ESR meter. If you have the time, the skill, and the patience; you could definitely replace them all. The reason I don't always recommend total replacement is that unless the person is fairly skilled, it can make it worse. (solder bridges, splash, smd components damaged)
                              If I were repairing for a customer I'd replace all of the ones in red and blue circles. And the 2 on the main board budm mentions.
                              Photo and link are courtesy of budm - http://s807.beta.photobucket.com/use...00085.jpg.html

My thinking is...... If a capacitor hasn't gone high ESR after 5 to 8 years, it'll probably last another 5 to 8 years. I figure these monitors will be obsolete by then

Comment

Thanks Lumberjack for the info and pic . I'lll think it over before making my move as to which route I should take as you said I only want to extend this monitor for another 3-4 years as it's just been so dam solid until this power issue arose.

Comment

As per lumberjacks suggestion I'm going to replace the following 8 caps on the power supply board in an effort to fix the slow power on issue (Blue LED blinks intermittently w/delay until caps are heated then poof solid blue and on) I'm having and need someone to confirm I'm getting the right caps.

Board Locations-CAP-Link to product from digikey

C406=10u/50V http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1250-ND/356152
                                  C603=22U/35V http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1230-ND/356133
                                  C606=1U/100V http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...0765-ND/285717
                                  C605=47U/50V http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...0321-ND/266330
                                  C707=22U/35V http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1230-ND/356133
                                  C108=10U/35V http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...5161-ND/245020
                                  C111=22U/35V http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1230-ND/356133
                                  C114=2.2U/50V http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...0313-ND/266322

*Note* I could not find a FM or FC series for C108 so chose M series

If these choices are correct then ok. If I've chosen "unwisely" then please suggest a replacement from digikey. Thanks Gents!
                                  Last edited by MicroBell1; 01-14-2013, 01:24 AM.

Comment

*Note* I could not find a FM or FC series for C108 so chose M series
                                    If it fits (diameter and height), you can go up in voltage and use this FC 10uF 50V cap

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...0316-ND/266325
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

On the power supply (SMPS) board, you should try to find Panasonic FR or FM versus FC. FR and FM are better suited for SMPS versus FC. While all 3 series are low ESR, FR and FM are "better" low ESR caps versus FC.

In short, FR > FM > FC.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                        On the power supply (SMPS) board, you should try to find Panasonic FR or FM versus FC. FR and FM are better suited for SMPS versus FC. While all 3 series are low ESR, FR and FM are "better" low ESR caps versus FC.

In short, FR > FM > FC.
                                        Ok I'll try to locate FM or FR series then. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

In short, FR > FM > FC.
                                          Will the FC series work though? I understand that FR/FM series are better but I'm willing to use the FC series as long as they work.

Seams that every FM or FR series I try to find on digikey requires adding voltage as they don't offer the correct rated cap at the standard voltage.

Example: 47U/50V requires 47U/63V for the FR series so I would need to add voltage to most of the caps to obtain FR/FM series.
                                          Last edited by MicroBell1; 01-15-2013, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X